Question Resistance is futile

Anyone found a good use for these talent points? Seems like they don't serve much purpose really, I've played around with it during raids, and the fact that its not a free KC but a refunded KC focus often ends up wasting the proc because there are other higher priority things to do. Its not exactly like a free KC on the GCD is a wonderful thing. If they made the proc refund focus OFF the GCD, we might be in business. If they just made it a free KC with a small ICD, it might be a good pvp talent.

Has anyone made good use of this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Somebody on here had the theory that it's for when somebody gets close and personal.

That's a fine theory but as you say, you have to have a whole 40 Focus stored up and waiting to use it.

I can't find a reason for it except they want KC to be used in MM, but didn't want it to be overpowered. Instead it's underwhelming beyond belief.
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

Yea, it really feels like it needs to be overhauled or scrapped. This at one point in beta was a talent that gave us a damage buff when the target moved. For something that high in the tree, it really seems like a pink elephant.

Honestly I find if I SS shot twice for imp SS that usually gives me enough focus to use proc. And the only thing that really competes with the gcd for the proc is Chimera Shot, Kill Shot, Aimed Shot, and Arcane Shot. Can do KC before Arcane shot since its a focus dump and if KC doesn't out damage a single Arcane Shot there'd be no point in using it. And Aimed should out damage KC but it doesn't matter which you do first since Aimed won't reproc till you do more steadies. Which basically just leaves KC competing for GCDs with Chimera shot ince every 10 seconds... i.e. not a problem unless Chimera is 1 second away from CD and you have exactly 44 focus, since the refund seems to have a small delay.

Not saying the ability is great, but at least in PvE if it happens to proc its not too hard to work it in. In Pvp I use it mostly for when I get Los'd.

I've found it useful on fights where the boss moves a lot (Marrowgar, PP, etc). It procs a surprising amount, and is free!

Hmmm, do you have any logs to compare damage of your KC vs Arcane shots? The only night I raided with it, KC averaged lower average damage than my arcanes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilcheeks View Post
    Hmmm, do you have any logs to compare damage of your KC vs Arcane shots? The only night I raided with it, KC averaged lower average damage than my arcanes.
    And considering its cost it'd have to do (very) roughly twice the damage of an Arcane.

From my super scientific "dicking around in DM crying about goblin rep" experience with both, I'm seeing KC crit for about 9k-10k as MM, and Arcane Shot critting for about 7-8k. I'd rather use Arcane Shot by far.

anachronistic hypocrites

It's not the damage, it's that it's free.

As long as you're not focus capped you can always dump it later, and free damage is always good.

EDIT: To be clear, it's only worth using if Resistance is Futile procs. It's not worth using without that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    It's not the damage, it's that it's free.

As long as you're not focus capped you can always dump it later, and free damage is always good.

EDIT: To be clear, it's only worth using if Resistance is Futile procs. It's not worth using without that.
    It requires such a pool of Focus to use that I would hesitate to consider it truly free. If it was changed to actually cost 0 Focus it'd be a clear choice to use, but it's a giant opportunity cost, IMO, coupled with having to have the Focus pooled, a relatively rare proc, and it can't proc from MfD (which is a pretty strange design that Blizzard has intentionally implemented and defended).

anachronistic hypocrites

It can indeed proc from MfD o_O I've seen it proc on targets I only have MfD on, not HM.

You should be keeping a focus pool of 30-40 anyway, otherwise you run the risk of getting focus starved. I'm not saying it's not tricky to use, but it's still worth using if you have RIF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 3clipse View Post
    It can indeed proc from MfD o_O I've seen it proc on targets I only have MfD on, not HM.

You should be keeping a focus pool of 30-40 anyway, otherwise you run the risk of getting focus starved. I'm not saying it's not tricky to use, but it's still worth using if you have RIF.
    Then they're changing it to not, or you're nuts I remember much outrage on the official forum when a blue said "well duh otherwise it'd be too overpowered".

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/27401...-is-futile-bug

anachronistic hypocrites

My first impression of this talent was that it was useless because it only refunded, as others here are saying. But after playing with it a bit in PvP and thinking about it, I can see where it could become pretty overpowered if it just gave a free KC, especially in a talent spec that included MfD. For example, in a raid instance, just throw mark up on a patrolling trash mob (or an add that gets kited, etc.) and then go to town on the boss. You would get a bunch of procs from the ability, and with MfD you wouldn't have to worry about not having your HM up on the boss. PvP would work in a similar manner; just HM a class that can't cleanse and doesn't stealth (so they could care less about being HMed), and then do your thing.

I think the fix lies in making KC do enough damage to be worth using with an MM spec, rather than messing with the functionality, even though I do find the functionality odd and clunky. I just think there would be balancing issues if it gave a free KC anytime there was something moving nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by chelate View Post
    Then they're changing it to not, or you're nuts I remember much outrage on the official forum when a blue said "well duh otherwise it'd be too overpowered".

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/t/27401...-is-futile-bug
    Changing it, maybe, but right now it works with MfD =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimelannister View Post
    My first impression of this talent was that it was useless because it only refunded, as others here are saying. But after playing with it a bit in PvP and thinking about it, I can see where it could become pretty overpowered if it just gave a free KC, especially in a talent spec that included MfD. For example, in a raid instance, just throw mark up on a patrolling trash mob (or an add that gets kited, etc.) and then go to town on the boss. You would get a bunch of procs from the ability, and with MfD you wouldn't have to worry about not having your HM up on the boss. PvP would work in a similar manner; just HM a class that can't cleanse and doesn't stealth (so they could care less about being HMed), and then do your thing.

I think the fix lies in making KC do enough damage to be worth using with an MM spec, rather than messing with the functionality, even though I do find the functionality odd and clunky. I just think there would be balancing issues if it gave a free KC anytime there was something moving nearby.
    It only refunds if you KC on the marked target that procs it.

anachronistic hypocrites

Is that functionality currently working, because I'm pretty sure I was getting the refund regardless where my mark was.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only time its gonna be used is PVP and speaking for 80 only I'm resource starved all the fucking time. I can't see why anyone would have 40 focus stored unless you were at 100 and just entered combat. You can easily get off Chim Shot and Arcane Shots to drain your focus in a few seconds and the regen is the problem since theres no fox. I can't see how anyone will reach 40 again if they're "Up close and personal". Personally I can't even see it being used at 85. I'd rather save it for Chimera shot at 4 more focus in PVP for the healing.
    Last edited by Malania; 2010-11-05 at 03:21 AM.