Deleted

Preloading Cata now.....

Well... sort of. I couldn't see any threads at the moment discussing this, but the fact remains that you are actually able to preload the Cataclysm data or atleast a great part of it now by doing a small tweak to your files:

1. Go to your Wow folder

2. Open the "wtf" folder.

3. With notepad (or mac eqiuvalent), open the file launcher.wtf

4. Find the part in that file where it says "accountType" and change it suffix from "LK" to "CT"

5. Repeat step 3 with config.wtf

6. Repeat step 4 with config.wtf

7. Launch the game via the launcher, hang on a for a few secs and behold as it starts downloading the Cataclysm data files, 700mb. (the ones that you pay more for to download as digi files than you do for the hard copy version... ie. save some money)

GL HF

I couldn't see any threads at the moment discussing this
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ht-a-hard-copy.

been threads about this already
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." (Albert Einstein)

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, it works as described.

I did this and it only took about 20 minutes to download. Does that seem right?
    She is led by love. The world moves for love. It kneels before it in awe. <3

Well. Even if there have been more threads about this, i would say thank you. Because i wouldn't have known this and be downloading if you wouldn't have reposted this.
    Thank you sir.

when you say preloading Cataclysm, do you then mean the content, so when they turn it on, i have already buyed Cataclysm?

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    when you say preloading Cataclysm, do you then mean the content, so when they turn it on, i have already buyed Cataclysm?
    you still have to update your account, just dont have to install cataclysm
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." (Albert Einstein)

No.

When you buy a game from blizzard, you technically only buy the right and ability to play the game from your account.
    You are able to download wow from the wepsite if you want, but you need and acc that have ``unlocked´´ the game to play.

so its like the background downloader for the new patches. you are just quicker in if buying the real life copy.

Deleted
    Everyone, regardless of whether they buy cataclysm or not, needs the data for the changed old world, new spells etc, because you can encounter them without owning Cata.

If you do not buy cata:
    You cannot fly in the old world
    You cannot level past 80 or enter the 81+ zones, instances and raids or gain any of the items / skills / spells you'd get from that.

It's like how a player with Vanilla wow still needs the files for what draenei and blood elves look like, because they'll still meet draenei and belves running around, and thus need the models.

Doing a preload just means you can buy cataclysm and play the moment it's released, rather than waiting to download on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistrelish View Post
    7. Launch the game via the launcher, hang on a for a few secs and behold as it starts downloading the Cataclysm data files, 700mb. (the ones that you pay more for to download as digi files than you do for the hard copy version... ie. save some money)
    You still have to pay to upgrade your account so the only thing you have saved is a bit of time.

Thanks so much, just dl'd it in 5 minutes =D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    You still have to pay to upgrade your account so the only thing you have saved is a bit of time.
    Time is money I hate that ol' "go stand in queue in pouring rain, hurry home, installing the game (which goes ever so slow), and then 2 hours later you get to play" I just wanna get in when it opens... and to achieve that: <3 online serial sellers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neptune Sea View Post
    I did this and it only took about 20 minutes to download. Does that seem right?
    Yes, there's only 700mb of data to download.