10+ Year Old Account

Pathetic damage output for Arcane Mage

I am currently leveling 2 alts; a level 18 Arcane Mage and a level 7 Rogue, and I notice to my great displeasure that the Mage is really under-performing. In instances it will usually be the worst-performing dpser, above only the healer. Even when I use the full complement of spells available (in this case, spamming Arcane Barrage whenever possible, and using Arcane Missiles/Fireblast/Frost Bolt while waiting for the cooldown), it will take a surprisingly long time to bring down a mob.

In contrast, with the Rogue, an encounter will usually be like this:
    Stealth -> Ambush -> Eviscerate -> yay, we're done.

I am really disappointed with the performance of the Mage. Is the low damage output intentional? To compensate, perhaps, for the fact that dual-wielding Rogues have lower hit % and have to engage in close-range combat? Or am I just doing this wrong? (and if I am, an explanation on *how* I'm doing it wrong will be greatly appreciated)

Get to 80 then ask again.

1) arcane only really gets good with arcane blast
    2) at low levels, cast timers tend to make casters appear to do less dps than a fast hitting dual wielder with "instant casts" (as in, the issue here is more related to the mob's health instead of the actual potential dps 'difference')
    Last edited by Rystastic; 2010-11-04 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    Not a valid response if there is a serious issue with a spec for (admittedly the least important) 69 levels of the game. I understand that not every spec will do even close to the same at every level range (nearly impossible to balance), but if one spec is doing 1/3 the damage of another class, thats when you can say there is an issue.
    But your eyes are drawn of charcoal they're black they're so cold they're so imperfect because they see a sleeping world where waking isn't worth it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    Is there a magical way to instantly get to 80?

Yes, probably at level 80 Mage dps will be comparable with all the others; but just in case you forget, people don't start at level 80. If the leveling process is excruciatingly painful...

First post, stupid question, this guy is obviously a troll and is flame bateing. Please disreguard what he has to say.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

DPS isn't comparable until at least level 30 for most casters. The mobs nowadays die so quickly that a quick hitting rogues is going to do far more overall damage than a mage or a warlock.

Go frost, make Frostbolt your best friend. Arcane isn't even decent till 20 anyways

lol, and people keep falling for the troll!

level up until you can learn arcane blast, then youll be k
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralisk View Post
    Magic makes everything radioactive so if you drink water that hasn't been purified by a vendor, you get a stacking DoT debuff called Cancer.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    There =/= Their =/= They're; Where =/= Were =/= We're

10+ Year Old Account
    I just leveled an arcane mage from 1 - 80... there is no problem with their damage, even at low levels, even before AB.
    The goddess in my avatar is Hayley Williams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuckless View Post
    DPS isn't comparable until at least level 30 for most casters. The mobs nowadays die so quickly that a quick hitting rogues is going to do far more overall damage than a mage or a warlock.
    Tell that to the Arcane Reavers in the Ghostlands. I can't believe those things actually survived two hits of ABs.

So... culling the answers that doesn't accuse me of trolling, I just have to wait it out until I reach later levels, then? I don't suppose, aside from using heirlooms, that there are ways to make the process go a bit quicker? Or should I give up on the Arcane (for now) and go for Fire / Frost?

Quote Originally Posted by Amry View Post
    I am currently leveling 2 alts; a level 18 Arcane Mage and a level 7 Rogue, and I notice to my great displeasure that the Mage is really under-performing. In instances it will usually be the worst-performing dpser, above only the healer. Even when I use the full complement of spells available (in this case, spamming Arcane Barrage whenever possible, and using Arcane Missiles/Fireblast/Frost Bolt while waiting for the cooldown), it will take a surprisingly long time to bring down a mob.

In contrast, with the Rogue, an encounter will usually be like this:
    Stealth -> Ambush -> Eviscerate -> yay, we're done.

I am really disappointed with the performance of the Mage. Is the low damage output intentional? To compensate, perhaps, for the fact that dual-wielding Rogues have lower hit % and have to engage in close-range combat? Or am I just doing this wrong? (and if I am, an explanation on *how* I'm doing it wrong will be greatly appreciated)
    i stopped after you put underperforming.arcane mages pulling 20k dps single target in ICC is underperforming fo sho man

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post
    i stopped after you put underperforming.arcane mages pulling 20k dps single target in ICC is underperforming fo sho man
    You idiot, the guy is level 18.. Not 80.

And yes. Plain and Simple, 80 is where the game starts. Want quick kills and fun below 60? Go go Rogue. Above 60? Go mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amry View Post
    Tell that to the Arcane Reavers in the Ghostlands. I can't believe those things actually survived two hits of ABs.

So... culling the answers that doesn't accuse me of trolling, I just have to wait it out until I reach later levels, then? I don't suppose, aside from using heirlooms, that there are ways to make the process go a bit quicker? Or should I give up on the Arcane (for now) and go for Fire / Frost?
    Frost was and is still the best leveling spec for mages. You have a permanent elemental, a lot of CC and now level-wise spells. Definitly frost until 80 (Get dual-spec @ 30 and take arcane so you can be used to this spec in dungeons).
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

15+ Year Old Account
    Closing.