Page 1 of 2
LastLast

This warrior of mine...

In BC I leveled a warrior to 70 and quit shortly after that.
    Since picking up Wrath in April of this year, I just havent felt like leveling him. He now sits at 74 after several months. After having 4 80s I still barely touched him.

Do you guys find your warriors fun? I tried prot for a couple levels but questing was meh as were instances, aggro was an issue pre patch and Im guessing my aggro will be terrible now. Would arms be the best bet? What about fury?
    I have more or less unlimited access to BoA gear (still need to get the bow and one melee trink, but I have enough JP to purchase both).

I just want to have fun playing him. I had a blast leveling my priest as disc and is now in the process of spamming heroics, and I want to have the same with my warrior :/
    I am arms atm...pvp is fun but I have no clue what to do, so I spam mortal strike hamstring and execute when applicable.
    Any advice, suggestions, would be helpful :]
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

Try lvling it as prot,its pretty fun imo.

But tanking as prot isnt...as far as 3.3.5 patch goes. I would assume it would only get worse since the patch?
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

Quote Originally Posted by calinass View Post
    But tanking as prot isnt...as far as 3.3.5 patch goes. I would assume it would only get worse since the patch?
    Eh,i kinda got no idea i don't play my warrior anymore since its on a terrible server but leveling it was very fun

In BC I leveled a warrior to 70 and quit shortly after that.
    Since picking up Wrath in April of this year, I just havent felt like leveling him. He now sits at 74 after several months. After having 4 80s I still barely touched him.

Do you guys find your warriors fun? I tried prot for a couple levels but questing was meh as were instances, aggro was an issue pre patch and Im guessing my aggro will be terrible now. Would arms be the best bet? What about fury?
    I have more or less unlimited access to BoA gear (still need to get the bow and one melee trink, but I have enough JP to purchase both).

I just want to have fun playing him. I had a blast leveling my priest as disc and is now in the process of spamming heroics, and I want to have the same with my warrior :/
    I am arms atm...pvp is fun but I have no clue what to do, so I spam mortal strike hamstring and execute when applicable.
    Any advice, suggestions, would be helpful :]
    instances were fun with bladestorm, but I agree leveling was a pain with the warrior. tanking was even more fun than leveling arms or fury. they were mostly ineffective when I was leveling mine. unless you were max level and had ArP stacked, they were pitiful damage.

but bladestorm was fun because you charge in and spin for 6 seconds watching the numbers flood your screen, and you could actually do some pretty dps without having to worry about a stringent rotation. anyways, it was fun to spin around and go crazy without having to do much work I guess. even if it wasn't the best dps, still pretty cool

I think the drudgery with leveling is they were mostly single target dps, and melee, so its not as easy to run around and aggro a group to AOE them down like with a caster. so questing and having to kill several mobs took forever to aggro them, killing wasn't so bad, but unless they're close together it was a pain to run around and collect them
    Last edited by ungar; 2010-11-07 at 06:10 AM.

Tanking as prot is amazing. If you dont think it is, well that is your opinion. If your issues with threat before, either dont bother with prot tanking now, or give it a go and try and learn the class.

Right now is a good time to learn prot due to the tough love aspect. People are going to treat you like shit, youre gonna have dps pull off of you and you are gonna feel helpless and most likely blame it on the class. That, in my opinion, is a great time to grasp the spec. Learn it when it is difficult that way you never have it any harder down the road.

You on a pvp server? I'd recommend arms if your are, otherwise just stick to your fun priest

Not from personal experience. One of my guildies is leveling a prot warrior lately. He said shield slam is doing very nice damage, it's actually really fun to level as prot. His warrior is not yet 60 though, so I'm not sure what's it like in 70s.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbert View Post
    I'm going to let it shine LoL
    I laughed so hard. :-)

Also, OP, Protection is really, really fun. Our abilities have very interesting mechanics; you have two procs to monitor, passive buffs which change which abilities you use as prio, you have several abilities off the GCD, Heroic Strike / Cleave being main abilities with shared CDs - you have to adjust which one you use, you always have Devastate as a filler attack and last but not least; I'd say Protection Warriors have the most varied AoE tanking. On the AoE-tanking, you use a completely different approach if you want to AoE-tank over single target tank, or need to press the AoE-threat up a bit while single target tanking. Even while AoE-tanking you play differently to maximize your performance.

Prots are strong for soloing while leveing, Prots are a lot of fun to play, Prots have 0 wait time in the LFD-system.

But then again, pick whichever appeals the most to you.

Holy hell.

I specced prot with a mix of dps and tank gear, around 16k buffed. Damn.

Tanking was honestly a breeze, I had someone help me out for a rotation and all, the spec was picked up by what I thought was a decent choice.
    Never had a problem with aggro, besides a few time with frost DKs. No big though, shield slam would get em stuck to me.
    I just want to say thank you for the advice. I was hesitant because prot definitely seemed to fail with aggro while I was leveling my warrior from 70-74. Now I burned through half a level rested in what seems like no time getting instant queues.

TL;DR. thorougly enjoying my prot warrior :]
    It's called balancing.
    Just sayn'

I have 2 80 warriors, a 72 warrior and a 45 warrior. I kick ass tanking dungens on all of them

Warriors are a lot more leveling-friendly now as well, since 4.0. Victory rush giving back a nice chunk of health is AWESOME for solo'ing content / leveling, plus being able to increase the amount it heals for via spec / glyph. Not to mention the new heroic strike mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

I enjoy tanking as Prot, what isn't fun about it?

On the "threat will be sucky sucky" comment: Warrior tanking is the class that has changed the least when it comes to tanking, atleast from my exp (tanked as frost on my dk pre patch, so i really cant judge that, but i know blood didn't have free blood boil before patch)
    Also, if you were tanking before the patch and have threat problems there is either a problem with the dps or with you. Try tanking again, it's really fun. For threat try to open with charge>rend>TC>shockwave and after that spam cleave (glyphed) while tabbing and Devastating and you should be fine.

Tanking as anything, any class, any spec is super fun.

Deleted
    If you like melee you love warrior. Dont buy any account crap anymore. Overpriced.

Tanking requires one RL Stat: aggression!
    The more aggressive you blaze into the mobs the less likely the DDs are to pull aggro from you. I tank with 8-10k in protgear as I can get up vengeance to to overpulling or up to 15k tankdps with fury gear.
    If you arent aggressive enough you arent made for tanking

Once you get the hang of it, Prot warrior tanking can be one of the most fun experience in WoW(up top with obtaining gladiator or killing LK HC), it takes alot of effort however.
    I see that you play a prot paladin, so did I at almost every point in Wrath(started as a pala in TBC) and if I'd have to give numbers I'd say, pre 4.0 warrior tanking was 10x more fun than prot pala tanking, after patch due to changes to both classes, I would say warrior is just 5x more fun than prot pala.

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Deleted
    Prot warriors with heirlooms are AoE grind monsters and very good tanks.

Ofc, tanking has to be learned (especialy post patch) and getting used to it takes time.

Tanking really isn't that hard. Devastate to 3 sunders, Shield Slam, Revenge when lit, HS when you have a ton of rage, Devastate between SS and Rev after.

Multi-targets...Glyph Cleave, T-Clap, Shockwave, Rend, T-Clap...if your group has an /assist tank macro...you win.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

I've been reading this site for quite a while now, but this post made me register because I wanted to express how much fun I've found protection tanking to be...

I've been playing since original beta but had never really played/or wanted to play the Warrior class for one reason or another. I have multiple other 80's and have tank specs on both my Paladin and Druid, which I enjoy, but haven't really been pumped about them lately. So my Warrior was hovering around level 30 and I decided, "what the heck, let's give this a shot". I've got him decked out in the BOA gear available minus the ring, and I must admit I'm having an absolute blast. No dowtime whatsoever with glyphed victory rush. I often take on groups of multiple mobs of 5 levels or so higher, and always come out of the fight with full health. A bit overpowered at lower levels at times it seems, but a hell of a lot of fun either way.

Instant dungeon access, and I'm constantly on top of the leaderboards for damage and dps - and even healing done a couple times!

I see the OP has responded and is having a lot of fun with it, so if anyone else is reading this and is on the fence like I was - give it a shot. I think you'll thoroughly enjoy it like I have.