Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

List of professions (Tank edition)

Hey, since there's nothing like it on the boards, I decided to make a short listing of the professions and the bonuses they provide.

Also note: This is not a "most convenient to have" list. So while I'm aware that you can craft stuff with BS and Engi, I made the list more with an eye on raiding than the beginning of cata.

Blacksmithing: Two additional sockets, =2*60= 120 Stamina

Leatherworking: http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/85007/d...sment-stamina/ 195 Stamina - 40 stamina you could enchant as non-LW = 155 Stamina

Tailoring: http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/75178/ ~250 AP (1000 AP with a 25% uptime)

Engineering: Rocket boots, http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/82177/q...ection-plates/ 300 Armor (1500 Armor with a 20% uptime)
    http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/84427/g...plasma-shield/

Jewelcrafting: 3x http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/52261/solid-chimeras-eye/ 3*101 stamina - 3*60 potential stamina= 123 stamina

Enchanting: http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/74218/ 2x 60 stamina = 120 Stamina

Inscription: http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/86402/ 195 stamina - 75 potential stamina = 120 Stamina

Alchemy: Not sure about Mixology. Flask gives 300 stamina, and Mixology should give something around a 40-50% bonus to that.

Skinning: Master of Anatomy (protip: sucks for tanks)

Herbalism: Lifebloom

Mining: Toughness = 120 Stamina

I doubt anyone is going to drop their current and level another profession right now due to a soon Cata release.
    Also engi is going to have special gems like JC in xpac

15+ Year Old Account
    Those gems only fit into the specific gemslots which can only be found on the engi made helmets. As far as I could tell it's not worth mentioning after you've finished gearing up in heroics (which is the point at which this list sets in)

HAH they all laughed at me when i rolled LW/JC on my DK tank .. whos laughing now !!

+ 498 STA!

someone in guild said that engineering enchants stack with normal enchants not sure if its true, also if healing is as they said it will be with mana being harder to manage then stamina might not be the best stat, maybe look at mastery dodge parry expertise (agility for druids).

and for this above reason id have to say JC and BS are the most customisable and so prolly the best, although Engineering looks fun with the sheild looking amazing for caster bosses

---------- Post added 2010-11-08 at 12:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gazgul View Post
    HAH they all laughed at me when i rolled LW/JC on my DK tank .. whos laughing now !!

+ 498 STA!
    try +278

All this seems to assume that Stamina is still the stat to stack, which I'm not sure is true anymore.

To me, JC and BS would be the best because they give the most options for stats to stack, as you can use any available gem.

it may be a situation of "get to 200k and then do what you want" kind of thing

i hope anyways. i want to be able to take engineering and not feel horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    Those gems only fit into the specific gemslots which can only be found on the engi made helmets. As far as I could tell it's not worth mentioning after you've finished gearing up in heroics (which is the point at which this list sets in)
    What heroics? Cata ones? But this list is for WotLK profession bonuses, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zauber View Post
    What heroics? Cata ones? But this list is for WotLK profession bonuses, isn't it?
    Yeah, Chimera's Eyes are totally available right now.
    Beta Club Brosquad

You are using the wotlk stam enchant to calculate the effectiveness of the LW bonus, i would be willing to bet that there is going to be a 75 stam wrist enchant in cata making that bonus 120 like most of the others.

On live currently, the engineering tinkers stack with enchants for the most part.

The one exception seems to be the reticulated armor webbing(sp? is that even the right name? I'm not logged in cant check) It appears to go on as a regular enchant. The hyperspeed accelerators stack with it. I haven't actually tried to put an enchant on top of the 2, but when I went to add armor to a glove that already had accelerators, it went on just like an enchant would. Maybe somebody out there can test if you can infact stack an enchant on top of that. I really doubt that is the case, tho.

theres also the mind amplification dish thingy that you can put on helm for +45 stam wich stack wich regular helm enchant. only a woltk version so far tho.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchimitch View Post
    theres also the mind amplification dish thingy that you can put on helm for +45 stam wich stack wich regular helm enchant. only a woltk version so far tho.
    MC Cap no longer gives stam.

JC/BS will be best if there are no heavy phys damage fights, otherwise Engi/JC will be best, most likely.
    goes great with 7-Up!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Threash View Post
    You are using the wotlk stam enchant to calculate the effectiveness of the LW bonus, i would be willing to bet that there is going to be a 75 stam wrist enchant in cata making that bonus 120 like most of the others.
    Probably there will. Although they did add a Bracer - Dodge enchant, so maybe they intended that to be the tanking enchant.

@ Dariela: I only went with stuff that increases survivability, but in general you can take every profession you want as a tank, with the exception of Herbalism, skinning and tailoring and engineering being hard to determine a value for.

with engineering stuf stacking, AND providing not one but 2 extra defensive CDs i see it as being the hands down best tanking profession. after that either BS or JC. and i forsee inscription, engineering, and jewel-crafting developing more trinkets then were seen in wrath. so watch those to be game changers as well.

Deleted
    Uh. You realize its a 2 min CD 20K Absorb Shield right? That's like.... Below average damage.

yes i do. however as its a shield it works for all damage, magic and physical. and lets be honest, what tank in his right mind turns down an extra CD? that said, some CDs are indeed better then others. and it wouldn't be the first time a tank decided to stack CDs for certain situations. this one would be the all purpous double-upper...hm..i think i just made a word. but as i said you also get the armor CD, not to mention current and future trinkets.

im hopeful that cat shows more long term love to professions then was shown in wrath. We haven't seen all that the professions have to offer yet. tho i do expect that to be soon. who knows, maybe the shield gets axed in final cut and trinkets are all shelved.

20k Shield on 2 min CD when getting Blast by a 120k Dragon Breath every 20s.
    Great Stuff!

It's 166.66 HP/s so it's en par with the great tanking trinket http://www.wowhead.com/item=49463 ...oh wait...

except you dont use it on cd but on stuff that will hit you hard (best if the dmg is unavoidable anyway) think reaper on LK or fusion smash on steelbreaker .

For hard hitting stuff it's useless, honestly. Use it on CD to help to preserve healers mana as good as you can.
    On hard hitting stuff it will most likely only help to generate 20k extra overheal, but while you are not topped off it is of actual value for your group because it helps to conserve some mana. (remember, you'll only want to be topped of before a big hit)