Thread: Avoidance

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Avoidance

Ok call me stupid but i just want to clarify this about avoidance.

What stats are counting in for tanking warriors

Dodge - Parry - and ?

Because I had an discussion last night, with people in my guild that didnt believed how to reach to 102.4 in avoidance.
    and said that sum was bogus

Are there anyone who would like to clarify this?

thanks

dodge parry and block =)
    as far as i know it was possible with warriors to reach 100+ avoidance, but only when using cool-downs and afaik its no longer possible with the new talents / stat weightings

i'ts parry, dodge, and block.....

at 102.4% avoid, you can't be "hit", meaning every hit will either be a dodge, a parry, or a block.

And miss, don't forget about that. Miss + dodge + parry + block

Actually avoidance is usually only dodge+parry+miss. While getting rid of normal hits(unhittable) are dodge+parry+miss+block
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosas
    Why do ppl thing that dodge isnt good in ICC? i mean if u have alot 25 bananas and 25 oranges and someone steals u 20 bananas, what will u do, buy back some bananas or buy more oranges?

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    yepp thats what I am saying too block
    But I had to fight for my believes last night

well I will still fight for it I think cause he said my % about 81% avoidance atm was a lie
    in my lvl 264-277 gear

15+ Year Old Account
    + a base miss of any boss which adds 5% + an additional hit chance of the boss of 2.4% (this is the reason why it is 102.4% and not 100%).

Yea, that's confusing whether someone counts block to avoidance or no. But since it is 100% impossiible to get 102,4 avoidance without block, then usually when someone mentions 102,4 magic number, than I assume he;s talking about being unhittable and so the block counts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Miss is a static value for all classes now tho, since the removal of Defense. Your chance to be missed is 5%, before external adjustments, like the Night Elves' Quickness racial feature.

Dodge% + Parry% + Block% + 5%(7% if you're a NE) is your total "avoidance".

Quotes needed because this is what you'll roll against on the combat table, and it's this sum, that if reaches 102.4%, completely negates direct hits. However, strictly speaking, "avoidance" is intended as that sum of values that completely negates the damage, which means Dodge, Parry, and Miss. Technically, Block is a form of mitigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Deleted
    Weird replies in this thread.

If a boss attacks a protection specced Warrior, this is what could potentially happen:

X% Dodge
    Y% Parry
    Z% Miss
    A% Block
    B% Hit

X, Y and Z are together your chance to avoid stuff, if either of them occur, then your healers don't have to heal you at all. Aka, you avoided the hit. You didn't avoid damage if A or B occured.

If X, Y, Z and A all together are at 102,4% or higher, then B has a 0% chance to occur.

Saying 102,4% avoidance is incorrect, the right term is "unhittable".

Quote Originally Posted by arel00 View Post
    However, strictly speaking, "avoidance" is intended as that sum of values that completely negates the damage, which means Dodge, Parry, and Miss. Technically, Block is a form of mitigation.
    Just a note, parry no longer completely mitigates the damage either. it does 50% damage mitigation for 2 hits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theslaya View Post
    Just a note, parry no longer completely mitigates the damage either. it does 50% damage mitigation for 2 hits.
    That changed months ago, parry is back to what it's always been.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    Ah, I must have missed that in the thousand updates. Sorry about that.

Deleted
    Saying 102,4% avoidance is incorrect, the right term is "unhittable".
    No offense but "unhittable" is misleading too sadly. You get hit, you just don't get unmitigated hit.

But I don't have any better idea for a term that would properly describe it. I personally use "block caped"

Quote Originally Posted by Alianna View Post
    No offense but "unhittable" is misleading too sadly. You get hit, you just don't get unmitigated hit.

But I don't have any better idea for a term that would properly describe it. I personally use "block caped" :D
    Thus you never get "hit". The options are miss, dodge, parry, blocked, hit, crit, or crushed. Hit is completely removed from the table, you limit it to dodge parry and block and miss. Thus you are unhittable. It may seem misleading, but a mitigated hit isn't a hit. It's a blocked attack. It's kind of like the old "defense cap" which wasn't really a cap. Just roll with it.

True, but not true. It's better than it was actually. It's now got the same DR as dodge, so that's an improvement for it.
    Last edited by Cactrot; 2010-11-11 at 03:16 PM. Reason: missed miss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alianna View Post

But I don't have any better idea for a term that would properly describe it. I personally use "block caped"
    Just like Cactrot said, it's not misleading, "unhittable" is actually very correct since it really does removes Hit from the combat table.

It may be misleading to the uneducated mass, but they're not participating in any discussion about it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot View Post
    True, but not true. It's better than it was actually. It's now got the same DR as dodge, so that's an improvement for it.
    I meant conceptually, but yeah, it always bugged me how parry was so much weaker with no good tradeoff (woo, parry haste, awesome..). I'm so glad parry actually is better than dodge now