Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it worth it to lvl engineering?

I'm currently leveling a hunter with jc and engineering as professions but with the new changes do you guys think engineering is viable profession? If not what you guys recommend I should change it to?

i love engineering it is by far my favorite profession, you get small enchants that stack with normal enchants and in cata we get our own special gems called "cogs"

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Apart from the fact the profession is great fun, you also get the Goblin Barbecue to feed your friends!
    Skullmaster - Slathe - Duat - Tamriel

Absolutely everything happens for a reason - Omnia Causa Fiunt.

Engineering > All other professions Seriously, engineering is awesome with all the little gadgets and tools it offers.

i've always really enjoyed it, even before it got a little love in wotlk, but if you wanna level it be warned its a huge pain in the ass because most of the mid-level mats are really hard to come by (on the AH of course)
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

Deleted
    Even if Engineering gave no stats I'd still keep it, hell I'd even keep it if I had to pay 20k for the engineering enchants. I love rocket boots and ever since I got engineering I haven't logged on to another character. AH in dalaran makes your non-engineering characters feel retarded. slow fall has saved my ass and made things a lot more fun. The teleporters make traveling extremely fast and also gives you awesome side-effects like giving you a random race-change or making you transparent. It's very viable and for some classes even the best choice. Now that rocket boots stack with the 15% speed enchant it's even better. Jeeves and portable mailbox are things that will make a raid love you. World enlarger, Cobalt grenades, mind control etc. the list goes on, GET ENGINEERING!

To the guy above me, cogs lol! Why do you mention the cogs that does nothing but give you stats when there are so many fun items? Cataclysm gives engineering Invisibility, a Decoy from your belt, awesome pets, cool trinkets and a random teleporter. I'm sure that Engineering will be viable in cataclysm and give the same +DPS as all the other professions but also give you shitloads of awesome party tricks

Quote Originally Posted by dooditsprinny View Post
    i love engineering it is by far my favorite profession, you get small enchants that stack with normal enchants and in cata we get our own special gems called "cogs"
    The cogs are only useable in the engineering-only helm. The helm when socketed with the special engineering gems are equal in power to a lvl 359 epic helm. There isn't anything else special with them. The only perks you get are the additional mechanics of engineering (mind control, parachute, nitro boosts, something with the belt..) and bombs, probably some other stuff too. Theres no extra stats that stick out though like other professions
    Last edited by blahssat; 2010-11-11 at 08:44 PM.

Engineering is great with all the gadgets that no other professions have, and for certain classes these gadgets can be incorporated into abilities which makes them extremely, like my Bladestorm-Rocketboots macro, and since the parachute is bugged atm you can use while still on the ground, it makes the absolute perfect getaway tool

engineering is imo, the funnest profession in the game.

it will not make you money

you cant use it in competitive pvp.

but its damn fun regardless.
    To break it down even an even lower level, if The Rock looks at his hand, looks back at you, looks at his hand, and looks back at you again and you still don't know to move, you deserve the smack down.-mmo champion forum poster

Define "viable"?
    you're being quite nebulous.
    I'd say its worth leveling just for the mote extractor and the fact that you guys can go engineer the mats off of the ulduar bosses and make bikes.

Is it going to make you rich? probably not.
    Is it going to give you a really nice hat... and maybe a helicopter? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by allrightythen View Post
    engineering is imo, the funnest profession in the game.

it will not make you money

you cant use it in competitive pvp.

but its damn fun regardless.
    That depends what you mean by "competitive pvp."
    You most certainly can use the rocket gloves, or stat increases in arena. Some of them a fairly nice.
    Also, if you count BG's, you can also use to rocket boots, maybe bombs to get your enemies to stand still for a bit.

Overall, it's a fun profession.
    You probably won't make money, but I think it's worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Engineering is viable for anything but making gold. Most fun profession there is! <3

Deleted
    Engineering kind of lost some of its fun in Wrath, but in cataclysm its set to be even better than anything before, so yes I'd say stick with it

It's a fun profession! It could make you money if you advertise bikes and try to make a decent profit from that. Other than that if you are going to powerlevel it is going to be expensive for you.

Arguably the best raiding profession for obvious reasons.

Deleted
    Is fun and good for raiding so Yes lvl it up.

Deleted
    It's fun, but you spend more money than you earn.

Probably gonna change in cata tho, since you'll be the only prof to mine/herb the new eternal fire

I want to level my rogue's engineering for only this,

http://db.mmo-champion.com/s/84421/loot-a-rang/

15+ Year Old Account
    I levelled Engineering purely for the rocket boots for Defile, but I am definitely sticking with it. There are so many useful and fun things with it. It won't make you any money though.

10+ Year Old Account
    A loud, emphatic, YES, everything about engineering is awesome
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.