Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I think you should be able to make armor look like different models you have in your bags becuase if we can make it look like anything everyone will pick the same random gear becuase it looks the coolest in game

10+ Year Old Account
    i would happy if i could hide my shoulder slot like my helm and cape

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra View Post
    Right click portrait -> Inspect is hard these days?
    It's really hard when you're in a pvp situation yes, and it's also quite cumbersome to do so for a large number of people on your own side as well.

I merely made this thread to inform people that this topic is being discussed on the WoW forums (yes, it has been for years, but persistence will eventually be the victor, so we hope) and those that were interested could go post their support, and those that dislike it can go post why they don't like it, just Barr in mind, every reason that has been discussed (in this thread as well) has been discussed on that thread and there is a counter argument for it which was mutually agreed and accepted as a solution.

10+ Year Old Account
    sounds pretty awsome tbh :P i woudl be running round in TBC lock gear :P looks so awesome

I think the ability to hide every gear slot like you can with head and cape would be a good way to customise your characters appearance.
    █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █
    This site needs more red.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightitup View Post
    There would be no use in making new gear then.

/thread
    Or the designers would have to try harder to make armor sets that people actually want to wear. If people aren't excited about getting to walk around in the newest tier peices, the designers are doing something terribly wrong.

Annnd just disable the feature if the person has pvp enabled? Something like that shouldn't be too hard....

Lots of free to play mmo's have this kind of feature, I believe Aion did but it's been forever since I played it-- but I think the requirement was you already had to own the piece of armor you wanted to... copy the look of so, I think that's a good idea.

It's absoluetely annoying to see everyone of the same class look identical and so what if people would just pick their class' 'best' tier? It makes them unimaginative and lacking in the creative department. Plus I don't like Paladin tier two so my pala would certainly never have it... I like tier 7.5 best on her haha.

And priest tier 6... nom.

There's a ton of customs 'sets' people have made using mix match gear, that is actually suitable for combat, not talking about a 'pirate outfit' or a 'farmers garb'. Which would be fine, but you would be surprised the kind of bad ass gear sets you can make mixing and matching pieces from all types of content. (L60, 70, and 80 alike)

I'm laughing at the "you can't tell how good or badly geared someone is" excuse.

You want to judge a person? base it on performance rather than a single look.

also, this is an MMORPG, why does it seem we're playing 98% mmo with about 2% rpg? 2% made up of choosing a class, leveling and having vaguely specialized skills (that basically everyone does a variation of reguardless of class).

---------- Post added 2010-11-12 at 01:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by unholyskipper View Post
    I think you should be able to make armor look like different models you have in your bags becuase if we can make it look like anything everyone will pick the same random gear becuase it looks the coolest in game
    Well it's obvious you don't understand what the phrase "looks the coolest" can mean.

to the average east coast teenager in a given suberb may think a shit ton of skulls and black with blue glowing IS THE COOLEST!!!!!
    while another might find pastel pinkish purples to be THE COOLEST
    can't forget radio antenna mode GOD DAMN COOLEST!!!!!

in short:
    Cool is a subjective term and everyone's definition is NOT the same. We all look near identical in game today because of the stats on the gear and that there's about 2-3 different models for each different armer grade that are actually useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I love the idea that we could change our end game appearance to whatever we want to by switchin stats on gear we posess, I'm afraid such a feature is not possible from a programming standpoint.

Every item in game has an ID number to identify it by, and these numbers are used to give bosses items for them to drop. Each item ID number has a set of restrictions related to that item, what model to use, what skin file to use, and what stats are on the item, and displayed in its tooltip box.

This type of idea would create way too many complications on a programming scale, not only would they have to remake EVERY single item to have an interchangable variable, they would also need to create a new means to store the information for the remodeled item server side, as the account does not hold any information on the terminal computer. Thus creating a severe increase in computation power needed to run the Server, not only would it reduce performance, it would most likely crash the server because there could be a flaw in the system from trying to process an old variable that no longer exists.

I would love the idea, but from a programmers standpoint, it is way too much effort to establish such a feature in a game as old as WoW, and on top of that, blizz already has a ton of features that they have YET to implement, anyone remember the Dance Studio on WOTLK's box?
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

I said this before in another thread that I would as far as recolor your gear. Like change the color of your gear. Some gear does get ruined by color (looks at and tries to unsee Tier 5 paladin)

I wish so hard that they would implement this idea.

For a time there would be folks running around in whatever the most popular set was. But you know what? All classes.. hell all similar roles.. look identical nowadays anyway. All H ICC 25 geared dps look the same, with a variance of a couple of tier pieces. This would less devalue the work of texture artists and more stop their delusions that people want to wear some of the more.... outlandish.. of their set designs. I'm looking at you, murlocstalker.

It seems to me the biggest arguments against this are easily shot down.

1) PvP balance. "Somebody in full Wrathful will put on shorts and a gray sword and pwn ppl". If you are honestly convinced this would be such a game changing issue, almost every idea i have seen has included in it basically a switch that would toggle it off for those who do not wish to participate.

2) Everyone will look the same. "Everyone will be black on black with black and some black or judgement. Nothing but judgement. All the artists' awesome work will be worthless!" As I mentioned, this is the situation now only using whatever the armor designers' latest work is. Allowing people to customize their look will reuse many of the sets that are at this point relegated to NPC outfit duty. In addition after a period of everyone choosing to look the same/similar there would almost certainly be a great degree of spread with regards to the look people choose.

Customization is a great thing, it would allow players to more enjoy their characters. It would do away with the degree of dread some classes have for their tier sets' look this raid. It would use a greater variety of the texture work that is already in the game rather than most of it only in passing then the latest tier almost exclusively. For those who don't want to deal with it, it would easy to have it able to be toggled off. There is no legitimate reason that I can see not to have this implemented outside of developer laziness.

this is active in LOTRO and works fine. it's actually a great feature and I wish wow would consider it.

Anyone who says PVP will be more difficult if there is an appearance tab implemented is doing it wrong. If you are in an arena... you should assume all that you go against are of equal or better skill so use you best tactics at all times. In BG's it is the same... Nobody half kicks ass. Either you are there to beat the living hell out of the opposing faction or you wouldn't be doing it, so assume everyone is better than you and fight accordingly... problem solved. Nothing relevant to bitch now about so please help the cause.

Blizzard has said they do not plan on doing this. Due to people not being able to ID others gear. Easy to get around but still... not planned atm.

But I would use the old Lt. pvp set on my Warrior.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    this is active in LOTRO and works fine. it's actually a great feature and I wish wow would consider it.
    Yes I played lotro . It is awesome game made some very nice people there and fashioning your appearence is awesome because you don't need to change gear to rp or something futhermore you can be bored of wearing the same gear over and over again it wasn't a problem in tbc because they were less people in same gear but in wrath nearly all have the same gear so I would like to look little diffrent . LOTRO now has 2nd expansion and awesome thing about it that my friend is wearing his legendary armor on appearance because max 10 people on the server have it and he looks awesome in it . Futhermore I disagree with people saying that all paladins would be wearing Tier 2 . For example I would love to wear my tier 5 paladin gear or paladin pvp gear for lvl 60 or maybe later levels .

I support this, its been 6 years and the RPG of the MMO has had to sit on the back burners or make due with what we can. Pvpers can turn blue for all I care about unable to see what kind of gear the other player is wearing, lets face it you were either are gonna gank that person or not. If you get stomped by someone in fishing gear those are the breaks of pvp.

I don't see why Blizzard's art team would suddenly not be focus on making new armor/weapons for new content, that's part of their job. as for storing the gear itself how about when a set has been made it turns into spell similar to Orb of Deseption or Deviant fish (allowing you to either to show your helm and cloak or not at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Zilar View Post
    I would say YES. But. Only if to use the model, you must have had acquired them first. Which isn't a huge deal in my case.
    This. I have lots of great outfits, but it's too much of a hassle to carry them around with me as a PvPing dual-spec'd Druid. If I could just have outfit "skins" that would be nice. And I don't want to see someone running around in Heroic tier unless they've earned it. If they have, they can choose not to display it, that's their right, but if they haven't that's just like....false advertising.