Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Viable shockadin spec?

I've been looking at the recent shockadin posts/flame/etc, and the niche looked interesting, so I decided to start playing around with a few talent trees.
    http://wowtal.com/#k=xmSD9qWW1.a8t.paladin.RE
    That's what I came up with, I haven't actually played 4.0.1 yet, need to finish my exams and get a game card, so, I was wondering for when I get back in game, would this be a viable shockadin spec, at level 85, starting out with the crafted blues ornamented set?
    Suggestions etc please, change the tree as much as you feel necessary, and please, no flames about "if you just wanted to spam one spell you should have rolled an arcane mage", I realise that, but I'm a lazy bastard and would prefer to do as much on my main as possible. If not viable, ret pvp it is
    Glyphs as necessary too, thinking exo, hoshock (this one sounds fun) and WoG for prime, and at least cleanse in major.

Wow.joystiq.com has a nice little article about present-day shockadins.... and it's surprisingly good. No joke, I can do up to 5K DPS. While HEALING random heroics, I've often been top DPS as well.

I'll link the article in a a sec...

Here it is - http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/11/07/th...the-shockadin/

Honestly, I used to laugh every time someone would say Shockadin... I thought to myself that if they wanted to DPS, go Ret, we're not caster DPS.

Then I read this article... and it inspired me. No, a Shockadin won't be able to compete in raids, but it does great in Heroics, and is GREAT for world-levelling and questing.

As said, I do 5k DPS with it, kill mobs in about 3 seconds.
    Last edited by Taedran; 2010-11-13 at 04:20 AM.
    What are the three things a wise man fears?

The deep of the sea, a moonless night, and the wrath of a patient man.

It's not even on the same level as the old shockadin, but yeah, you can do decent damage with good gear. Better than old holy at least...

Pvp is where it will be most viable.. you give up some key healing talents in order to pick up some of those nuke upgrades. In pvp, you will be able to heal your group without issue (without having the necessary raid healing spec), and also assist in burning down a target. As for endgame raiding, you will only be capable of 'meh' dps and 'meh' heals. Keep in mind though, that will be very valuable with certain encounters. If you aren't planning to be a primary rdps or healer, then you will fit in very well as someone who can give both cover fire, and help heal in times of great damage (or if a main healer is silenced, or you find yourself in a dps race).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xleetskeetx View Post
    If they wanted to starl up and get angry in combat, fine, whatever, but there's no reason to be PISSED THE FUCK OFF when selling things to a vendor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimora88 View Post
    Vendor turns around, "Yes, can I hel-"
    Worgen female, "OMFG IMMA SELL YOU SOME AWSUM SHIT."
    Vendor looks thoroughly confused, "Ma'am I'll gladly buy it if you just cal-"
    Worgen female headbutts the vendor, dumps her backpack on him, robs him, and merely hop-skips away.

Not sure if you're trolling or not.

PvE
    http://wowtal.com/#k=kxvzeqHP.a8t.paladin.

PvP
    http://wowtal.com/#k=t3DTllLK.a8t.paladin.

Those are what I would pick atm. Not sure on the PvP one but the PvE one I feel plays nicely.

As for being a DPS with the holy spec, there isnt any point since you would do more DPS as a ret. However if you just want to do extra damage whilst healing say a 5man, the PvP spec works nicely and can let you do around 4-5k dps via Holy Shock to Exorcism spam.
    Last edited by Corgrash; 2010-11-13 at 04:26 AM.

In my gear mostly 264&277 ive managed to pull 6k dps on a boss (undead) in normal holy healing spec with all cd used
    exorcism takes too much mana for it to be viable atm but its nice in pve when your bored as balls not healing
    IM GONNA PUNCH THAT DRAGON IN THE FACE!

Exorcism is pretty much free if you have 2/2 of that talent.

---------- Post added 2010-11-13 at 04:38 AM ----------

Terrapin, did you read the article I linked?
    What are the three things a wise man fears?

The deep of the sea, a moonless night, and the wrath of a patient man.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corgrash View Post
    Not sure if you're trolling or not.

PvE
    http://wowtal.com/#k=kxvzeqHP.a8t.paladin.

PvP
    http://wowtal.com/#k=t3DTllLK.a8t.paladin.

Those are what I would pick atm. Not sure on the PvP one but the PvE one I feel plays nicely.

As for being a DPS with the holy spec, there isnt any point since you would do more DPS as a ret. However if you just want to do extra damage whilst healing say a 5man, the PvP spec works nicely and can let you do around 4-5k dps via Holy Shock to Exorcism spam.
    Not trolling actually, this seems quite appealing. I'll only use it for pvp though, and your pvp spec is a bit weird for me, I'll have to actually test it when I get online again, seems to be lacking in damaging abilities for me, especially coming from a ret background.

Taedran - Read it, never realised the parallels with the mage stuff before, so, considering I do have a mage alt, this seems even more fun

Also, I am a noob forum junkie, so can anyone tell me how the hell one is supposed to quote from multiple posts in one post?
    Last edited by Terrapin; 2010-11-13 at 04:47 AM.

Denounce seems more worth it than some of the other talents. I mean free damage? Plus low mana cost..? Maybe I'm nuts. PvE or PvP it seems worth it.
    Summon Apollo's fire, with hell and heaven's might. Then with great force attend, the falling of all men.
    Release this captured world, from point of no return. Destruction has no end, unless you ride again.

Shockadin is kind of burned there wether we like it or not. It's our past name for something we shouldn't have had to deal with. It's like the Chernobyl of the paladin history.
    Summon Apollo's fire, with hell and heaven's might. Then with great force attend, the falling of all men.
    Release this captured world, from point of no return. Destruction has no end, unless you ride again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got out of a DTK. I'm in mostly 251 / 245s, nothing special. Took Denounce and Crusade. The tank didn't need many heals on trollgore. I hit him with one Holy Shock and ended up with 6.5k DPS spamming Exo and finishing the fight with a HoW. I wouldn't plan on being a full time holy DPS any time soon, but it's certainly a lot of fun when you're tanks over geared for the dungeon.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Viable for what?

Having fun in BGs? Sure.
    Questing and dailies? Why not?
    5-mans? There's always at least one shitty DPS in every group - you might as well be him!
    Raiding? No.
    High-end PvP? No.

Quote Originally Posted by fex View Post
    Viable for what?

Having fun in BGs? Sure.
    Questing and dailies? Why not?
    5-mans? There's always at least one shitty DPS in every group - you might as well be him!
    Raiding? No.
    High-end PvP? No.
    What do you consider High-End PVP? Arena?
    And even in arena it looks doable until... shall we say 1800 ish...
    Last edited by Giledhel; 2010-11-15 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Giledhel View Post
    What do you consider High-End PVP? Arena?
    And even in arena it looks doable until... shall we say 1800 ish...
    Duelist/Gladiator, or the equivalent ranks in BGs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to have to steal my wife's paladin and try this out. Looks like it could be interesting...
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

15+ Year Old Account
    It's fun to goof around and beat newer players in 5-mans with it, but it isn't raid viable.

A week or so ago a healer got the first bite on Blood Queen 25 and posted the log here, it was like 10-12k DPS... that should show how un-viable it is. Any DPS class getting first bite will be easily above 20k.

Edit: It sounds like you are talking about PvP.

Yes, it sounds fairly viable in PvP Battlegrounds, but I'd rather maximize my healing (Holy) or DPS (Ret) than be some kind of mix doing neither good damage nor good healing.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    It's fun to goof around and beat newer players in 5-mans with it, but it isn't raid viable.

A week or so ago a healer got the first bite on Blood Queen 25 and posted the log here, it was like 10-12k DPS... that should show how un-viable it is. Any DPS class getting first bite will be easily above 20k.

Yes, it sounds fairly viable in PvP Battlegrounds, but I'd rather maximize my healing (Holy) or DPS (Ret) than be some kind of mix doing neither good damage nor good healing.
    I'd have to agree with you on the PvP and end-game PvE views of this build. I'm guessing, however, that it'll be useful for Holy paladins that want to get their questing/dailies done a bit faster. And maybe, just maybe, if enough people run around with this kind of build, Blizzard may throw us a bone or two.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a GW2 podcast!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post

This.

It has almost elemental shaman-esque burst, but offers very little in terms of sustained damage output. In today's world of pvp where people get globaled its plenty viable, though not necessarly optimal. I do, however, have trouble seeing a niche for shockadins in cataclysm simply due to the increased health pools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baever View Post
    Heroic modes =/= additional bosses. It's the same encounter, but cannot be steamrolled by an inbred Texan with same IQ as a roll of toilet paper.
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbimojo View Post
    And, more, I'm fairly certain there are several homosexual characters in the game - they don't need to have <Gay> under their name to make it so.
    I'm that guy who enjoys sitting their 6'5" frame in front of little kids in movie theaters.