Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    there's an ongoing manga http://myanimelist.net/manga/18926/I...iro_no_Daimaou also has light novels
    Manga is progressing painfully slow. Thanks for info on the LN, though. :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Manga is progressing painfully slow. Thanks for info on the LN, though. :3
    It's originally an LN. Translation on baka-tsuki.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Business people most likely.
    Watashi no Namae actually. 'No' would be the possessive particle. Though most people would still understand it.
    The particles are probably the most annoying things imo.
    In terms of grammar.
    私の名前はレミリアです
    です/desu = is. As the copula.
    ha/wa is a subject particle.
    The verb generally comes at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brincamian View Post
    wa represents the subject of a sentence, and has no direct English equivalent. Topic markers just don't exist in English. Desu is the verb for "to be", and translates into is, are, am, etc. Deshita would be was, and da is the plain dictionary form of desu (datta being the past tense of da). Japanese allows you to omit things so long as it still makes sense, which is why desu is so frequently removed. The English equivalent of removing desu would be "My name Hemogoblin", if you translated it literally. Japanese puts verbs at the end of sentences, as I'm sure you know, so translating "watashi wa hemogoblin desu" while keeping the word order intact would be "I hemogoblin am", while "watashi no namae wa hemogoblin desu" would be "my name hemogoblin is".
    I must have had a bad Japanese teacher or I misheard when we were going over it, since you're both saying the same thing. In the example My name is X, she always told us the wa = is, and when explaining why the sentence ended with desu, her explanation was something akin to that's just the rule lol. To be fair though, while she could speak English properly and generally there weren't any issues, she did sometimes have issues understanding our questions or properly conveying what she was trying to say. This wasn't very often, so this could of just been one of those rare times where she had trouble getting across what she was trying to say. Who knows though. I'll take your word for it though, since you're both saying the same thing and have taken more Japanese than me.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    The particles are probably the most annoying things imo.
    Ugh, I hated particles. They were really the only thing I had trouble with with the language. Everything else I was fine with, but properly using Ni and De 100% of time? HA. If I remember correctly you used De for situations like I was AT the store. And Ni was for situations like I was going TO the store. I could be wrong though, my memory on the language has been slipping.

- - - Updated - - -

Found these while I was on MAL. Looks like we're getting two new yuri anime sometime in the future.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/19429/Akuma_no_Riddle

http://myanimelist.net/anime/20047/Sakura_Trick

This has me very excited. Hopefully they're good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    I must have had a bad Japanese teacher or I misheard when we were going over it, since you're both saying the same thing. In the example My name is X, she always told us the wa = is, and when explaining why the sentence ended with desu, her explanation was something akin to that's just the rule lol. To be fair though, while she could speak English properly and generally there weren't any issues, she did sometimes have issues understanding our questions or properly conveying what she was trying to say. This wasn't very often, so this could of just been one of those rare times where she had trouble getting across what she was trying to say. Who knows though. I'll take your word for it though, since you're both saying the same thing and have taken more Japanese than me.
    Without having ever had japanese classes I can tell this teacher is full of BS.
    I only learned a bit of stuff myself, but quickly found out that w/o a proper teacher and classes, I wouldnt go far.
    BUT, my advice for actually translating is NOT trying to translate it directly. First, try to grasp the meaning of what is said/written, including connotations of who is talking to whom, or what words and honorifics are used and then formulate the sentence in your target language.

That being said, understanding a language is easier than translating it. Even now I have sometimes trouble translating english -> german even though I understand perfectly what's being said.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post

Ugh, I hated particles. They were really the only thing I had trouble with with the language. Everything else I was fine with, but properly using Ni and De 100% of time? HA. If I remember correctly you used De for situations like I was AT the store. And Ni was for situations like I was going TO the store. I could be wrong though, my memory on the language has been slipping.
    I have only had about 36hrs of Japanese, but I with Remilia and Brincamian when it comes to desu. The verb "to be" tend to be the first thing you learn when you learn a new language.
    But wa(は) being subject marker, I thought it was a topic marker. And ga(が) was more of a subject marker.

With Ni(に) and De(で).
    Isn't Ni more of Direction, while De being Place of action?
    Last edited by mmocc362e14455; 2013-08-21 at 02:14 PM.

when in dobut just put de su at the end of sentence......desu >_> <_< <_>
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I've only taken a community college spoken class with an American teacher so....I doubt I'll have too much right in "grammar" area

Quote Originally Posted by Achillia View Post
    I have only had about 36hrs of Japanese, but I with Remilia and Brincamian when it comes to desu. The verb "to be" tend to be the first thing you learn when you learn a new language.
    But wa(は) being subject marker, I thought it was a topic marker. And ga(が) was more of a subject marker.

With Ni(に) and De(で).
    Isn't Ni more of Direction, while De being Place of action?
    You're right about wa and ga, I'm just mixing up subject and topic. That's one nuance I still don't have completely down.

As for ni and de, I kinda viewed it as de being "by means of", so where an action takes place or something you used for something. And ni is for a location someone's at, or a person being on the receiving end of a verb. I'm sure there's more uses for both of them, I definitely don't know everything about those two particles.

Deleted
    As for ni and de, I kinda viewed it as de being "by means of", so where an action takes place or something you used for something. And ni is for a location someone's at, or a person being on the receiving end of a verb. I'm sure there's more uses for both of them, I definitely don't know everything about those two particles.
    Now I had to look through my notes, and I wrote Ni (に)as:
    Indirect object marker (proceeds with direct object marker, を )
    Direction/Destination (to)
    Time (at, on, in, hour, per day)
    Indicating receiver/giver
    Indicating place
    Indicating receiver of an action

De で
    Place of action (in, at, on)
    Help with, by means of

My teacher is not japanese, but she has a masters degree in japanese. So I hope she teaches us the right stuff!

10+ Year Old Account
    those all sound about right from the vocab my class used achillia.

doko ni
    nanji ni
    ni morai/age
    doko ni
    are all ones I used in my speaking class for ni. For De we only really used it for "how we got somewhere", so "by means of"

10+ Year Old Account
    You're right about wa and ga, I'm just mixing up subject and topic. That's one nuance I still don't have completely down.

に / ni has way too many uses that it gets s o annoying.

Achillia listed em.

My new Japanese teacher has glorious engrish.

10+ Year Old Account
    That last part, lawlwut.

Rosetta Stone is kinda meh though.

15+ Year Old Account
    I saw an /a/ post about someone celebrating Ritsu's (from K-On!) birthday last night, and I thought it was slightly weird. I probably should have took a screenshot, but what he did was he baked a cake for her and had it beside his computer screen (with ritsu on the desktop, of course) and had a bunch of Ritsu merch nearby. The text was a bunch of stuff about how Ritsu was the one for him and how much he loved her and stuff.

Little did I know that he was one of many...
    Last edited by Sesto; 2013-08-22 at 02:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Free 07 - This episode was really good. Rin is a much better character now, knowing why he acts like he does. Not only did his father give up his dream, but his father also died when he was only a kid. It is understandable why he cried after losing against Haru back when they were kids. Being that young, having lost your father, and then trying to achieve your fathers dream... only to lose against your friend who doesn't even care about winning. Sure he acts like a dick, but considering he has worked his ass off to become an Olympic Swimmer like his father originally wanted, yet Haru is almost as good as him despite the fact Haru doesn't care about winning/doesn't work as hard.... yeah, I can see why he would be pissed off at Haru.

quick, post cute pictures of souseiseki!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Free 07 - This episode was really good. Rin is a much better character now, knowing why he acts like he does. Not only did his father give up his dream, but his father also died when he was only a kid. It is understandable why he cried after losing against Haru back when they were kids. Being that young, having lost your father, and then trying to achieve your fathers dream... only to lose against your friend who doesn't even care about winning. Sure he acts like a dick, but considering he has worked his ass off to become an Olympic Swimmer like his father originally wanted, yet Haru is almost as good as him despite the fact Haru doesn't care about winning/doesn't work as hard.... yeah, I can see why he would be pissed off at Haru.
    I agree, though he's still a giant dick regardless (which I love).

Also that birthday thing happens a lot for the more popular characters of shows. I've seen stuff that's blown that out of the water completely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    quick, post cute pictures of souseiseki!

Souseiseki best Rozen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I guess one of the eBay retailers screwed up, because I now have two copies of both Eva 1.11 and 2.22. Honestly not even sure what happened. Originally my first order got lost and after weeks I still did not see it. Got a refund, ordered a new one, and a few weeks later got the movies. Now around two months later another two more show up in the mail...

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Well, I guess one of the eBay retailers screwed up, because I now have two copies of both Eva 1.11 and 2.22. Honestly not even sure what happened. Originally my first order got lost and after weeks I still did not see it. Got a refund, ordered a new one, and a few weeks later got the movies. Now around two months later another two more show up in the mail...
    Might be the ones that got lost showed up. Happened to me before when I ordered something online and it got lost and the ones that never showed up were in the mail on a later date.

Compensation for making you wait several weeks and having to deal with the hassle of getting a refund/ordering new copies lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Souseiseki best Rozen.