My limited experience with anime left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, mainly due to slow story progression. Between Yu-gi-oh and Pokemon as sort of animes and Bleach, it seemed like it was nothing but a string of 10 episode long battle sequences, and over 100 episodes before any story progression.

I'm sure they're not all like this, but I have no idea what to look for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Just finished Tasogare Otome x Amnesia and wow. The ending was amazing. The scenes where Teichi and Yuuko are sitting in the club room before she disappears were so good. One of the best scenes in anime that I've seen. Just everything about it was perfect. The music matched the mood better than almost any other situation I've heard in anime. Gah, that was just so good. I can't get over this show's art style either. It's just so colorful and awesome looking. I'm usually one for happy endings, but I'm still not sure whether I like the fact Yuuko came back in the end. That last scene was just so perfect to end on.Overall, it was an amazing anime. One of my favorites for sure.

This show had such a good OP/ED and just a great soundtrack in general.

---------- Post added 2013-03-24 at 05:51 AM ----------

Found the song that was in that last scene. So good. The image used in the video is kind of a spoiler, so don't click the link if you don't want to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT_o4DorRXk

Almost done with Tsukihime VN, so I decided to finally check out Carnival Phantasm. So funny! Tsukihime has also been very good, on Hisui's route now which seems to be much shorter than the last three. Just wish Arcueid would show up a bit more often in these routes.

Also watching Kure-nai, which is interesting, but pretty good. Murasaki is so darn cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    My limited experience with anime left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, mainly due to slow story progression. Between Yu-gi-oh and Pokemon as sort of animes and Bleach, it seemed like it was nothing but a string of 10 episode long battle sequences, and over 100 episodes before any story progression.

Like movies and books, anime has a ton of genres and many different types of series. The ones you referenced are exactly as you described, but overall those types only make up a small amount of all anime. I can't stand Bleach, Naruto, and other 200+ episode shows.

My favorite series are all mostly between 12 and 24 episodes in length, and actually have an ending. It's hard to recommend anything without knowing your tastes, but I'd say you should check out some of the better and shorter series before you dismiss all anime. If you give us some genres that you enjoy, I'm sure you could get a bunch of recommendations.
    Last edited by Brincamian; 2013-03-24 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brincamian View Post
    Carnival Phantasm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chadiu View Post
    Finished Tasogare Otome x Amnesia, really loved it. The ending was perfect. Okay, maybe not the part where Yuuko ends up coming back... not sure I liked that. Was funny/happy, but it sorta makes all the emotion beforehand meaningless. I guess it captures the essence of the series, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Just finished Tasogare Otome x Amnesia and wow. The ending was amazing. The scenes where Teichi and Yuuko are sitting in the club room before she disappears were so good. One of the best scenes in anime that I've seen. Just everything about it was perfect. The music matched the mood better than almost any other situation I've heard in anime. Gah, that was just so good. I can't get over this show's art style either. It's just so colorful and awesome looking. I'm usually one for happy endings, but I'm still not sure whether I like the fact Yuuko came back in the end. That last scene was just so perfect to end on.Overall, it was an amazing anime. One of my favorites for sure.

This show had such a good OP/ED and just a great soundtrack in general.
    Yeah, awesome OP/ED. Two of my favourites actually. The lady who sings Choir Jail is apparently the same singer who did Days Of Dash for Sakurasou, so she's definitely one too watch out for!

I really like the Yumi Hara (Yuuko) version of the ED (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrKHxtSy7cA). Probably because her voice is my waifu. Dat sensual airiness!

Personally, I liked the ending of the show. To me, it felt fresh. I feel like anime is saturated with either unsatisfying romantic endings (eg. unresolved harems) or bitter-sweet/sad endings (eg. death or duty tearing couples apart that actually do get together), so to have one end on a high, happy and light-hearted note was a bit of a novelty. Plus, as chadiu pointed out, making light of otherwise disturbing or deeply emotive scenes and events was somewhat of a staple of the show. Like, in one of my favourite comedic elements of the show, Yuuko getting all bashful and flustered over Teichi seeing her skeletal remains behind the sealed door because he was seeing her 'at her most naked'. I thought that was a hilarious way to approach an otherwise wholly morbid scene. Stuff like that is what makes the show stand out for me. And to end the show with a happy bluff feels right, I think. We got all the emotion of feeling what it'd be like for these two death-crossed lovers to lose each other but Yuuko uses a charmingly cheap loophole to come back and that makes it all the more enjoyable for me. We get to feel emotions on opposite ends of the spectrum in the same scene. Not many shows do that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Did not watch it, but it's supposed to be right up there on the scale of epicness as far as space operas go. It's old though, so do not expect any eye candy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erihs View Post
    The main thing LoGH has going for it is simply the scale of the show. It has the largest cast of any anime I know of, and world building bar none. Add philosophical debates, political intrigues and great characterization, and you have a winner in my book. Simply put, it is probably the anime on the grandest scale out there.

It is, however, quite overrated on most anime scoring sites. It is not for everyone, and to have your rating count you need to have watched a rather large portion the show. This leaves the show with a rather high average score, as the people who don't like it will drop it before their rating counts toward the average.
    well uh okay I'll give it a shot
    It's just that when I saw how many episodes it has, it seemed like those other 100+ episode shows where it's just dragged on and split into multiple arcs that are all basically the same thing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post

I'll just repeat what Brincamian said, but... Just as with any other media there's a multitude of anime genres. What you mentioned as your experience with anime belongs to what I would consider the lowest one, tapeworm-like shounen shows. I don't know what kind of series would you find enjoyable as it obviously depends on person, but judging anime in its' entirety based on its worst representatives is a mistake. :) If you'd like to give a try to something on a higher shelf how about Death Note for example? Immensely popular series, and for a reason. Or Neon Genesis Evangelion, a legendary title - love or hate it, but can't walk past and stay neutral. I could recommend several hundred other good quality shows, so instead of doing that I'll just post this here - my personal show list, already sorted by the ratings for your convenience. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Robutt View Post
    Personally, I liked the ending of the show. To me, it felt fresh. I feel like anime is saturated with either unsatisfying romantic endings (eg. unresolved harems) or bitter-sweet/sad endings (eg. death or duty tearing couples apart that actually do get together), so to have one end on a high, happy and light-hearted note was a bit of a novelty. Plus, as chadiu pointed out, making light of otherwise disturbing or deeply emotive scenes and events was somewhat of a staple of the show. Like, in one of my favourite comedic elements of the show, Yuuko getting all bashful and flustered over Teichi seeing her skeletal remains behind the sealed door because he was seeing her 'at her most naked'. I thought that was a hilarious way to approach an otherwise wholly morbid scene. Stuff like that is what makes the show stand out for me. And to end the show with a happy bluff feels right, I think. We got all the emotion of feeling what it'd be like for these two death-crossed lovers to lose each other but Yuuko uses a charmingly cheap loophole to come back and that makes it all the more enjoyable for me. We get to feel emotions on opposite ends of the spectrum in the same scene. Not many shows do that.
    I loved Tasogare's ending as well. I watched it when it aired so it's not as vivid in my memory, but it was just so refreshing to actually see a happy ending to an anime maintaining a rather tragic/dramatic atmosphere throughout the story. Thanks to how the comedic elements were used throughout the show it did not feel forced either. Mai-HiME SPOILER oh I wish I could nest a spoiler tag in another spoiler tag... :( As much as I cringed at Mai-HiME's deus ex-machina, forced, terrible happy ending that completely destroyed the entire emotional baggage the show managed to masterfully create up until last 10 minutes or so this one got exactly opposite reaction from me. :)
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-03-24 at 10:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    GTO never fails to entertain no matter how many times I watch it. Sensei banzai!

Deleted
    I loved Tasogare's ending as well. I watched it when it aired so it's not as vivid in my memory, but it was just so refreshing to actually see a happy ending to an anime maintaining a rather tragic/dramatic atmosphere throughout the story. Thanks to how the comedic elements were used throughout the show it did not feel forced either. Mai-HiME SPOILER oh I wish I could nest a spoiler tag in another spoiler tag... As much as I cringed at Mai-HiME's deus ex-machina, forced, terrible happy ending that completely destroyed the entire emotional baggage the show managed to masterfully create up until last 10 minutes or so this one got exactly opposite reaction from me.
    Yeah, that's a good point. It does feel natural to go that way where many shows wouldn't. Evidently good development. I should watch more Sentai stuff. And apparently avoid Mai-HiME, judging by your description. xD

10+ Year Old Account
    AKB00 - Save us Jesus! made my day
    [CENTER]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Robutt View Post
    Yeah, that's a good point. It does feel natural to go that way where many shows wouldn't. Evidently good development. I should watch more Sentai stuff. And apparently avoid Mai-HiME, judging by your description. xD
    Mai-HiME is awesome, just gotta pretend last 10 minutes of the entire series never, ever happened. :<
    Quote Originally Posted by Tealgod View Post
    AKB00 - Save us Jesus! made my day
    This series as fun to watch as it is silly. BTW, I am willing to bet that Akibastar is actually Earth and humanity just forgot which planet they originated from.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-03-24 at 06:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Although the Tasogare Otome x Amnesia's ending was really good, I just realized something that kinda makes me question why they ended it like that. Ignoring the fact Yuuko actually comes back, the whole "forget me" think doesn't make any sense. The series talked about how memories influence your personality. With that, they had to deal with the the version of Yuuko who had all those bad memories throughout the series. In the end, Yuuko accepted them and all the bad emotions that came with it. Yet Yuuko wants Teiichi to forget her and all the things they did together, which doesn't make much sense. There should have been a point where Teiichi goes "no, i will never forget you. all these memories will help me become a better person, yada yada", or something like that.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, or I misinterpreted the whole message it was supposed to get across.

On a side note, starting FMA: B. Hope it doesn't disappoint. Well, I enjoyed its first episode more than the original FMA, and the first FMA: B OP is pretty sweet.
    Last edited by Sesto; 2013-03-24 at 09:01 PM.

Deleted
    Mai-HiME is awesome, just gotta pretend last 10 minutes of the entire series never, ever happened. :<
    Hehe, okay. I won't write it off completely then.

Although the Tasogare Otome x Amnesia's ending was really good, I just realized something that kinda makes me question why they ended it like that. Ignoring the fact Yuuko actually comes back, the whole "forget me" think doesn't make any sense. The series talked about how memories influence your personality. With that, they had to deal with the the version of Yuuko who had all those bad memories throughout the series. In the end, Yuuko accepted them and all the bad emotions that came with it. Yet Yuuko wants Teiichi to forget her and all the things they did together, which doesn't make much sense. There should have been a point where Teiichi goes "no, i will never forget you. all these memories will help me become a better person, yada yada", or something like that.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, or I misinterpreted the whole message it was supposed to get across.
    Hmm. That's a good point. I guess I interpret both of their behaviours in that scene as Yuuko believing that's what would be best for Teichi (with her being dead and invisible to like 99.98% of people or w/e) and, because she loves him, wanting him to live a 'normal' mortal life without her and Teichi feeling he should agree to try and do that for Yuuko because he loves her back and wants her to be able to 'move on' in peace and fulfil her wishes for him. Then, I guess they both thought, "Fuck it!", and decided that they both care about each other too much to be apart. The scene would have made 0 sense if their affection wasn't mutual, but thankfully it was. That's just my potential rationale for it.

Deleted
    On a side note, starting FMA: B. Hope it doesn't disappoint. Well, I enjoyed its first episode more than the original FMA, and the first FMA: B OP is pretty sweet.
    Ironically, the first episode is the only thing in Brotherhood that's not from the manga for some reason. ;D

10+ Year Old Account
    Kotoura - Where did this anime start becoming so shitty. I thought I was enjoying it, but this latest episode was so laughably horrible.

Zetsuen - Noooo. No no no. Fuck he got shot fuck fuck he better not die.

Tamako - I really like how Tamako is starting to get more depth. She was pretty flat before hand. You can tell the change just by her voice that it feels like she's getting a lot more personality now, especially in this episode.

OreShura - Was that Mana not acting douchy? I'm also starting to appreciate Silver a bit more now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Kotoura - Where did this anime start becoming so shitty. I thought I was enjoying it, but this latest episode was so laughably horrible.
    Really should not have tried to do some sort of detective/mystery story imo. That.... did not work well at all, obvious from the start to the finish.
    Zetsuen - Noooo. No no no. Fuck he got shot fuck fuck he better not die.
    His death would open fun possibilities. Hakaze hears of it before the Tree of Genesis' hearth gets destroyed, goes ballistic with rage and decides to use the tree to destroy the world? Or Aika shows up, yells "I did not die! Just faked it 'cause my magic is OP!" and revives Yoshino 'cause, again, her magic is OP? ^.^

10+ Year Old Account
    His death would open fun possibilities. Hakaze hears of it before the Tree of Genesis' hearth gets destroyed, goes ballistic with rage and decides to use the tree to destroy the world? Or Aika shows up, yells "I did not die! Just faked it 'cause my magic is OP!" and revives Yoshino 'cause, again, her magic is OP? ^.^
    With how the stories been going and all the twists and turns it's taken before I can't see it being a cliche or general ending. I feel like something very strange is going to happen and it'll end up a lot different from what we thought it would end up as. Just hearing that the entire Clan loses their magic if the tree is destroyed makes me think there is no way it will have a forseeable ending.

Deleted
    With how the stories been going and all the twists and turns it's taken before I can't see it being a cliche or general ending. I feel like something very strange is going to happen and it'll end up a lot different from what we thought it would end up as. Just hearing that the entire Clan loses their magic if the tree is destroyed makes me think there is no way it will have a forseeable ending.
    Well, as far as predictability goes the biggest twist, Aika's identity and suicide, was actually very predictable by the virtue of being the least obvious... if that makes any sense. Up to that point the series gave off air of wanting to use the most surprising possible scenario to create a twist at the key moment and "Aika being the mage of Exodus" just asked to be that twist. That said, I really doubt Hakaze would go crazy or Aika could still be alive and if either of my "predictions" from the earlier post came true I'd be deeply disappointed. One correct prediction is not going to make me dislike this show as it's my favourite one this season so far - even if I have not watched SSY or Psycho-Pass yet and Maoyuu is stalled in the half for now.

She also did not destroy the queerats army one bit. It was stated that she disarmed all of them, making them easy for the other queerats to go in and slaughter. She had never killed a queerat before.
    What makes you think that? In the anime Shisei specifically said the Giant Hornet's soldiers had been twisted, deformed and exploded from inside which must have been done by Cantus.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzual View Post
    Those series tend to be focused more on the fighting that's why they're that way, there are a lot of other genres you could try. If you're interested in a deep plot I'd say Madoka straight away but I keep being told that's a bad one to recommend to people who haven't watched a lot of anime so idk >.>
    The first episode will scare away 90% of people who are new to anime, and will likely worsen their opinion of it. "What's this cutesy shit? Anime is only for little kids after all!"

This is coming from a guy who likes Madoka quite a bit.