10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
    I'm surprised to see how few people list Hellsing Ultimate among the top Anime shows. Probably has to do with it still not being finished after.... years? Anyways new episode inc at the end of the month, one which should get people talking about it again.
    It is at the top of my list of "To Watch" series, but I rarely watch series until they are completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Didn't really like Paranoia Agent myself. Watched the first 3-4 episodes and it just did not grab me. If you are looking for mind-bender kind of series, you could always go back a bit and watch a classic like Lain or Boogiepop Phantom. I have seen Boogiepop a handful of times now and still do not totally get it. I do enjoy the ride though.

Totally random shirt btw. Is that a reference to something I am just not getting or did you really simply want a shirt with a giant ant head on it?
    I actually liked Paranoia Agent, a lot. Mind you, I've only seen scattered episodes on TV when it was being aired. :<
    I remember having no idea what was going on in Serial Experiments Lain back in the day when it was aired on I think.. er.. Tech TV? The channel that merged with G4, don't remember its name. I rewatched it a few years ago, its now one of my favorites. I felt the same way about Boogiepop years ago, so maybe I have to rewatch that like I did with Lain.

I'm surprised to see how few people list Hellsing Ultimate among the top Anime shows. Probably has to do with it still not being finished after.... years? Anyways new episode inc at the end of the month, one which should get people talking about it again.
    Because as good as it is and it is very good, when people come asking for references of things to watch its hard to tell them a show and then turn around and be like "but once your caught up you have to wait 1-3 years per episode."

Ultimate currently stands as something as preexisting fans get to drool over for the time being because most people looking to start up something new will watch whats currently out and then forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Makina View Post
    Because as good as it is and it is very good, when people come asking for references of things to watch its hard to tell them a show and then turn around and be like "but once your caught up you have to wait 1-3 years per episode."

Ultimate currently stands as something as preexisting fans get to drool over for the time being because most people looking to start up something new will watch whats currently out and then forget about it.
    It actually wouldn't be that bad had Geneon not imploded. As it stands we are due for two episodes this year, with 4 new (episodes 4-8) episodes supposed to be dubbed as well. Funimation picking up the distribution rights for North America and Europe finally gave them enough money to finish producing the show.

Also you could always tell them to go check out the manga...if you have then you know whats coming is absolutely drool worthy.

It actually wouldn't be that bad had Geneon not imploded. As it stands we are due for two episodes this year, with 4 new (episodes 4-8) episodes supposed to be dubbed as well. Funimation picking up the distribution rights for North America and Europe finally gave them enough money to finish producing the show.

Also you could always tell them to go check out the manga...if you have then you know whats coming is absolutely drool worthy.
    Geneon USA has nothing to do with it at this point, weve been waiting since december 2009 for the next episode, we are fast approaching TWO YEARS of waiting on JAPAN. It makes me die a little inside. If im deployed in afghanistan when this next ova releases i just might kill a kitten...or camel spider...whichever i find first (they are of about equal size)

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post

I think ya got me wrong man it's a great show just has a few flaws. Still better than glacé and naruto in that they didn't go full on filler while the artist hadca broken hand instead deciding to end it.
    ya but i already hate myself for watching 12 - 25 - 50 episodes of something(skip beat im looking at you) to find out it doesnt ends in the anime so watching 103 of something that didnt hook me up on the first 5 episodes doesnt sounds like a good plan...

hmm and naruto i gave up on that... like 7 months of filler to resume the story just to find out there is like 15+ minutes per episode of someone remembering something thats just irrespectful
    Last edited by karloz1337; 2011-07-05 at 05:08 AM.

Geneon USA has nothing to do with it at this point, weve been waiting since december 2009 for the next episode, we are fast approaching TWO YEARS of waiting on JAPAN. It makes me die a little inside. If im deployed in afghanistan when this next ova releases i just might kill a kitten...or camel spider...whichever i find first (they are of about equal size)
    Next OVA is due July 27th according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hellsing_episodes#Hellsing_Ultimate

A
    lso I'm not talking about Geneon USA, I'm talking about Geneon itself imploding due to terrible finances and horrible book keeping that lead to them selling off almost they're entire catalog just to keep themselves afloat. Hellsing is, very obviously, expensive to produce due to the amazing production values put into it, as a result it was put on the back burner until they had the finances. Funimation basically bought Geneon's entire catalog just to gain access to about 4-5 shows, Hellsing obviously being one of them.

That depends what you like and if your into currently airing stuff.

I like everything from 1980s SDF Macross to this years Hanasaku Iroha. Not only are they new vs old the very genres themselves are nothing alike. I literally watch everything you can imagine so give me a bit of info to work with IE interests.
    Oh, I've been in and out of this thread for the last 25 pages and had made the assumption my interests were known (not to be too self-centered). I usually follow watching series by writing lengthy analytical posts that probably get mental "TL;DR"s from people.

In general I'm not interested in comedy, slice of life, or romance. This generally leaves action/adventure, mystery/suspense, some drama, and whatever you want to call things like Mushishi. However, I have a particular distaste for the standard shonen equation of "good guy fights, starts to lose, makes sudden comeback, and wins through willpower." I've had enough of that in years past. I also dislike fanservice, but can put up with some degree of it if the rest of the show is worth it. I also have a limit tolerance for gore and violence, which is why I've never touched Elfen Lied and had to stop watching the Hellsing OVAs.

Currently watching Ao no Exorcist (debating dropping it; it's getting more and more formulaic by the week) and Steins;Gate as well as the aforementioned Gosick. My favorite series are Gunslinger Girl (exceedingly underrated imo), FMA: Brotherhood, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex which earn their place for the ideas behind the series while also maintaining a high level of quality in other areas (plot, characterization, animation, attention to detail, etc).

Totally random shirt btw. Is that a reference to something I am just not getting or did you really simply want a shirt with a giant ant head on it?
    /glances at my avatar. /glances down at my shirt. Yeah, I'd say I just wanted an ant shirt although found a really good one with a praying mantis on it as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Currently watching Ao no Exorcist (debating dropping it; it's getting more and more formulaic by the week) and Steins;Gate as well as the aforementioned Gosick. My favorite series are Gunslinger Girl (exceedingly underrated imo), FMA: Brotherhood, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex which earn their place for the ideas behind the series while also maintaining a high level of quality in other areas (plot, characterization, animation, attention to detail, etc).
    Well it would seem you are in the unenviable position of listing truly unique series as your favorites. Sadly, there just isnt much else out there like FMA or GitS. Just wondering, have you seen Dennou Coil? Not that it is really similar to the others you listed, but I checked it out randomly and found it to be quite amazing. Very unique. There is a fair amount of comedy and slice of life elements at the start, but gets pretty deep as it goes on.

/glances at my avatar. /glances down at my shirt. Yeah, I'd say I just wanted an ant shirt although found a really good one with a praying mantis on it as well.
    Haha, I didn't even make the connection to your AV. Right on.

Oh, I've been in and out of this thread for the last 25 pages and had made the assumption my interests were known (not to be too self-centered). I usually follow watching series by writing lengthy analytical posts that probably get mental "TL;DR"s from people.

In general I'm not interested in comedy, slice of life, or romance. This generally leaves action/adventure, mystery/suspense, some drama, and whatever you want to call things like Mushishi. However, I have a particular distaste for the standard shonen equation of "good guy fights, starts to lose, makes sudden comeback, and wins through willpower." I've had enough of that in years past. I also dislike fanservice, but can put up with some degree of it if the rest of the show is worth it. I also have a limit tolerance for gore and violence, which is why I've never touched Elfen Lied and had to stop watching the Hellsing OVAs.

Well its difficult to find series nowadays that dont have undefeatable heros or something that isnt slice of life...K-On has really thrown the past year or two into a highschool club centric slice of life spree.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is magical girl and that probably isnt your thing but trust me this isnt all cute girls flying around saving the world, the very foundation on which they become magical girls is extremely dark and by the end of the show you leave yourself wondering if you can even feel sane putting it in the same genre as things like cardcaptor sakura.

A movie to leave you with a mindfuck for the ages is Perfect Blue. I had to watch it 3 times back to back for my brain to fully process the amount of mindfuckery actually going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica is magical girl and that probably isnt your thing but trust me this isnt all cute girls flying around saving the world, the very foundation on which they become magical girls is extremely dark and by the end of the show you leave yourself wondering if you can even feel sane putting it in the same genre as things like cardcaptor sakura.
    Pretty sure he is already a loyal member of the Church of Madoka.

Already seen it; was quite enjoyable. My overall series list is:

-Series:
    08th MS Team
    Berserk
    Black Butler (1st season only)
    Black Lagoon
    Bleach (stopped at episode 310, skipping fillers)
    Claymore
    Code Geass
    Cowboy Bebop
    Darker Than Black
    Death Note
    Dragonball Z
    Fullmetal Alchemist
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    G Gundam
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Gundam Wing
    Gunslinger Girl (1st season only)
    Hellsing
    Katanagatari
    Monster
    Mushishi
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    One Piece (stopped at episode ~50)
    Outlaw Star
    Naruto (stopped at episode ~100)
    Puella Magi Madoka Magika
    Ruouni Kenshin (stopped at episode 62)
    Samurai Champloo
    Shakugan no Shana (1st season only)
    Spice and Wolf
    Soul Eater
    Tengu Toppa Gurren Lagann
    The Last Exile
    To Aru Majutsu no Index
    To Aru Kagetsu no Railgun
    Trigun
    Trinity Blood
    Utewareromano
    Vampire Knight
    Yu Yu Hakusho

-Movies:
    Cowboy Bebop: Knocking on Heaven's Door
    End of Evangelion
    Gundam Wing Endless Waltz
    Hellsing Ultimate (1-3)
    Howl's Moving Castle
    Princess Mononoke
    Samurai X
    Spirited Away

Some of those series I just watched years ago on Toonami while others I think my completionist nature just caused me to finish (like no Index, which is both formulaic and heavy on the fan service; I blame Accelerator for being too awesome). I haven't seen many movies, as you can see (Grave of the Fireflies is on my list, but I haven't been in the mood to be depressed :P). I'll have to look at Dennou Coil and Perfect Blue; also looks like Paranoia Agent got mixed reviews on the last page so that seems like it's worth trying.

To Aru Kagetsu no Railgun
    ohhh no you didnt! tell me its a joke....

....anyway i see you are missing Ergo Proxy and Higurashi no naku koro ni / Umineko also Bakemonogatari may not be your thing but may be an exception...
    Last edited by karloz1337; 2011-07-05 at 06:04 AM.

You should try macross frontier, while some of the finer references will be completely over your head if you even notice them at all from series gone by but as a stand alone its quite good.

I actually cosplayed Alto to sakuracon this year

Quote Originally Posted by karloz1337 View Post
    ohhh no you didnt tell its a joke....

....anyway i see you are missing Ergo Proxy and Higurashi no naku koro ni / Umineko also Bakemonogatari may not be your thing but may be an exception...
    I like Higurashi a lot and I began watching Umineko but dropped it, haven't heard many good things about it, either, could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by karloz1337 View Post
    ohhh no you didnt! tell me its a joke....

Trust me, it is a bad joke. It's one of those things where I liked To Aru Majutsu no Index for ability usage and figured I'd try Railgun. I was like, well it's only 24 episodes. They did have their moments but...yeah it was a waste. It's like how I tried to rewatch G Gundam a couple of years ago (I'd seen it on Toonami when I was like 15) and I was baffled I'd managed to watch it the first time around. Although by comparison certain things have held up well; call me a total dweeb but I still think Vegeta (ahhh vintage AMVs) is one of the best anti-heroes in anime, it's just a shame the Buu saga didn't end with him blowing himself up.

I tried Ergo Proxy, it didn't click with me. I got to where they got out of the city and found myself already getting sick of the little pink robot girl. I've heard that the beginning and end of the series are the best, but that the middle stretch of wandering is like a bad acid trip.
    Last edited by Neichus; 2011-07-05 at 06:14 AM.

Trust me, it is a bad joke. It's one of those things where I liked To Aru Majutsu no Index for ability usage and figured I'd try Railgun. I was like, well it's only 24 episodes. They did have their moments but...yeah it was a waste. It's like how I tried to rewatch G Gundam a couple of years ago (I'd seen it on Toonami when I was like 15) and I was baffled I'd managed to watch it the first time around. Although by comparison certain things have held up well; call me a total dweeb but I still think Vegeta is one of the best anti-heroes in anime, it's just a shame the Buu saga didn't end with him blowing himself up.

I tried Ergo Proxy, it didn't click with me. I got to where they got out of the city and found myself already getting sick of the little pink robot girl. I've heard that the beginning and end of the series are the best, but that the middle stretch of wandering is like a bad acid trip.
    Texhnolyze, its another project Yoshitoshi ABe had his hand in (See: lain, Haibane, niea /7 ) Texhno is a fairly dark, has enough action to keep you going and the plot and story definitely requires you to use your brain to follow whats going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you like Perfect Blue, you should check out Melinium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika. All are done by the same director. They are all pretty different movies, but all very high quality. Perfect Blue is actually I least favorite of the group.

A few more series not on your list that might interest you:
    Planetes - Drama series about a group of space debris collectors in the near future. The real appeal of the series is not the setting, but the characters and their interactions. Very well made series.
    Bakemonogatari - About a high schooler, Koyomi Araragi, who finds himself mixed up in all kinds of strange supernatural situations. Some comedy and romance, but alot of mystery as well. Split up into a number of smaller arcs each dealing with one character that Araragi comes across and how he helps them deal with their bizarre situation.
    Angel Beats! - A group of recently dead kids stuck in a surreal afterlife tying to figure out what the hell is going on and what the point of it all is. More action/comedy then the other mystery animes, but the ending is quite good.
    Baccano - A bunch of seemingly unconnected people and events are slowly reveled to have more to do with each other then it would seem on the surface. Set in the 1930's It has been compared to Tarantino's stuff in that it seems yo jump around alot from character to character and event to event and not always in a linear fashion, but it all comes together in the end.
    Durarara! - Same author and studio as Baccano. Again, follows a bunch of seeming unconnected characters that all play into the big picture. This time set in a modern day Tokyo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't really like Paranoia Agent myself. Watched the first 3-4 episodes and it just did not grab me. If you are looking for mind-bender kind of series, you could always go back a bit and watch a classic like Lain or Boogiepop Phantom. I have seen Boogiepop a handful of times now and still do not totally get it. I do enjoy the ride though.Totally random shirt btw. Is that a reference to something I am just not getting or did you really simply want a shirt with a giant ant head on it?
    The probable reason you don't get it is because it's supposed to be Based on and/or a sequel to a book or something of the sort.Oh and i found paranoia agent interesting but by no means my fav. Psychological series wise I prefer Lain and Betterman among others.

---------- Post added 2011-07-05 at 06:41 AM ----------

That depends what you like and if your into currently airing stuff.

I like everything from 1980s SDF Macross to this years Hanasaku Iroha. Not only are they new vs old the very genres themselves are nothing alike. I literally watch everything you can imagine so give me a bit of info to work with IE interests.
    Same for me only in my case my interests go back to 1050s all the way to modern shows. So yeah i will literally watch ANY anime. Have seen more than most people can even imagine seeing as well just check out my sigs link it;s my anime planet profile and that's not even complete.

---------- Post added 2011-07-05 at 06:45 AM ----------

Try Read or Die the OVA that should do ya also not 100% in this one but try Trigun and S-Cry-Ed both are quite good though scryed may not be up your alley.

As for intellectual/philosophical try Rahxephon or Fafner another good one is Bokurano. All three are mecha and the first two have a bit of eva syndrome but trust me they're at least IMO better than eva. I'd also recommend Blue Gender. But as has been said before hard to advise but at least one of these should do ya.

I just saw your other post and i guess i'd also advise classic Gundam the 1979 series as well as Zeta Turn A and X oh Victory is also quite good try those out especially Turn A. Heh need to wrack my brain for more but yeah most of what i;ve said should work for ya oh and MAYBE Soultaker.
    Last edited by Sorrior; 2011-07-05 at 06:49 AM.

seeing lain spelled with a capital is somehow bothering me alot tonight, btw your nearing your 1337 postcount Sorr