Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Currently there is no cooldown on rare gem transmutes. Alchemist will be able to transmute 3 green gems and 3 herbs into one rare gem, also there is the Truegold transmute. I would say for the first few months, the best spec would be Transmute spec. If you have just one Truegold proc, that will worth thousands of gold alone. Rare gem market was really good when WotLK released do the lack of epic gems, and I think it's gonna be the same in Cataclysm, but now you will be able to mass produce those gems.

during my 1½ years as transmute spec i can say its only worthwhile if u cba to do AH stuff... if ur the type who just wants to login and make epic gem, put on Ah, log out xmute wins hands down..

if u feel like spending some time on the AH Elixir can make loads more cash in the long run... with mana not bieng infinite for healers anymore, and dps have to take care for themselvels like in TBC perhaps pots will get used again.. only time will tell

how much time are ya willing to spend?

Quote Originally Posted by aikanaro View Post
    im pretty sure they took proc's out of the game come cataclysm.
    not at all...
    since 4.0.1 hits i've seen quite some porc..
    less then wotlk, but then again 4.0.1 has been on from so little time that its statistical impact is not that major..

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to be potion but I don't use potions that often so I decided to change to elixir to make use of the extra flask procs... Saves lots of money over time...

Deleted
    I've got a transmute alchemist and she makes plenty of cash, and also had more than enough bonus procs to make me happy - including a x5 epic gem proc that made me bug guild chat for ten minutes in disbelief

I tended to use the epic transmutes and procs to provide me and my alts with gems (cut by my JC alt). Then whilst she was flying about doing dailies, or whilst I was watching TV, I would pick up herbs. Since I was transmute, didn't use herbs much except for a few flasks for myself, and herbs sold far better on my realm then than the flasks. 1 hour herb farming would get me between 1000-1500g easily, for minimum effort (druid flightform ftw!)

10+ Year Old Account
    I chose Elixer and wouldn't change it for the other branches of Alchemy.

The extra flask procs are lovely and they'll help towards getting your guild a flask cauldron

10+ Year Old Account
    Transmute mastery is a great and lazy way to make gold, but if there's a good market for flasks and elixirs on your server elixir mastery is sure to make you more gold - for a little more effort.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkenrahl View Post
    not at all...
    since 4.0.1 hits i've seen quite some porc..
    less then wotlk, but then again 4.0.1 has been on from so little time that its statistical impact is not that major..
    EDIT: nvm I must be blind...
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2010-11-15 at 09:00 AM.

Deleted
    A lot of people use potions when levelling up (especially as there are some pretty awesome ones such as the extra treasure finding), but endgame raiding, most people use flasks so long term I think elixir is better than potions. However, transmute often has the highest profit margins for the least amount of work, at least in wotlk you could make 100g profit for 2 mins work a day, so pretty good if you're not planning to spend a lot of time farming. I have two alchemists, one elixir and one transmute - there wasn't really any incentive for me to get a third for potion in wotlk and other than at the very beginning, I don't think potion master will have the same profitability long term.

Deleted
    My druid is elixir master after being transmute master for two years.
    I did get a proc every now and then when transmuting, but that was maybe once every two weeks.

Since I'm elixir master I get a lot of procs. When making 20 flasks I get 22-36 flasks.
    Lately it's been kinda crazy, making 60 flasks and getting 92

This makes the profit on flasks much higher then the profit on transmutes (for me).

Deleted
    I am Elixir on my Shammy at the moment, but I think I will give Transmute master a try in Cata ^^

It seems like fun, and as my shammy isn't my main, and most of my time will be going on my druid, I want to spend less time but still yield good profit from Alchemy (:

With WTLK in mind, Transmute. I have made an absolute fortune in transmuting Titanium, diamonds and primals. The procs have been very good for me. The by far biggest moneymaker has been Transmute: Primal Might:

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=29688

Often it procs 2-3-4 extras, and on Nordrassil they go for 150-250G per primal. All ppl lvling Transmutations need 4 - and so it`s a steady income, and the mats are easily obtainable either by farming or cheap buying in AH.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkenrahl View Post
    If you notice, the 10men cauldaron grants 7 flasks, the 25men one grants 17 instead and while agree it's stupid (you should grant the max number of flask for the caludaron target-raid number), ultimately you're still stuck with some people that will have to get flasks for themselves.. So you'll still see flasks selling like crazy...
    It is only half the truth, the Guild Advancement stress this to 10/25 persons so it will not count in after a while when most of the guilds have leveled up. Happy Hour

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Transmuting doesn't seem to proc as often, or as many as the other two specs.

Transmute is capped at 5 while potion I think is 10.

So as a whole transmutations gold influx is more sporadic. You can go weeks on end with no procs, then you get a good day where you proc 5 cardinal Rubies, for example. The other two specs seem to have a more consistent and stead cash flow.

Do you have other alchemists in your guild? What specs are they?
    The proc cap is 5x the initial craft amount:
    Transmuting Epic Gems = 1 Gem at a time = max proc x5
    Crafting Flasks = 2 Flasks per craft = max proc x10
    not sure on potions, since I don't have a Potion master.

Quote Originally Posted by mstieler View Post
    The proc cap is 5x the initial craft amount:
    Transmuting Epic Gems = 1 Gem at a time = max proc x5
    Crafting Flasks = 2 Flasks per craft = max proc x10
    not sure on potions, since I don't have a Potion master.
    Only get 1 flask per craft in Cata, don't get 2 anymore.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea, transmute sux. I would stick with Pots since just about everyone buys them. you will get more sales in the AH as opposed to the lixers.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffyduck View Post
    Only get 1 flask per craft in Cata, don't get 2 anymore.
    The same was true when Wrath of the Lich King came out. They patched in the crafting of 2 Flasks per craft.

As for the other post stating that they're taking out Procs from the Masteries in Cata.... No. If they did that there wouldn't be any point in making Masteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    This is good, be a man about it.
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.
    Mists of Pandaria Beta Club ~World of Warcraft Annual Pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have slightly different view in cata vs. some of the other posters. I think pot spec is going to be good for the first 2 tiers of raid content when mana is a crunch health/mana pots are going to be used each encounter. Also with elixir spec with the return of cauldrons for raids...I am not sure elixir spec will proc extra flasks from cauldrons. I think you will see guilds using these more often and not spending money on as many flasks...

Pug raiders and smaller guilds will of course still by flasks/elixirs. Overall, I think elixir is the way to go..transmute when it works is pure profit. But I would strongly consider pot spec to begin with.