Question Best Tank/Solo Pet?

so, im going around with an worm as pet right now, but im not sure if its the best. so what of you know is the best tenacity tanking pet? and is it in that case also the best to use when leveling up? (if there is a difference between tanking/soloing with pet and using it for leveling).

10+ Year Old Account
    Pet while leveling pretty much does not matter.

That being said, worm has a great AOE ability and is tenacity. Plus, I have an invisible worm, so even though he's gigantic, he doesn't take up my entire screen when he's close.
    "WoW is a game about upgrading your stuff." - Ghostcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz
    anachronistic hypocrites
    Oh noes! We're time traveling hypocrites!

Worm is great for AOE grind tanking

I really prefer the Turtle for more extreme tanking (instances/raids/etc...). The extra talent they have that reduces damage by 50% for 12sec is amazing for those times when damage is really heavy and/or you have been slow to heal.

15+ Year Old Account
    A turtle is going to be the pet with the best survivability. Between Cower and Shell Shield he can have a pretty high mitigation cooldown up a lot of the time.

A spirit beast (if you are BM) can be good for solo work. It offers the +Strength/Agility buff and has a bonus ability to heal.

If you are not BM then for leveling I would choose a pet that offers a buff to you and not a debuff for the enemy. The buff to you should have better uptime and be more continually useful.

You can check out this post at www.wow-petopia.com to get a good list of all the pet abilities and then make a choice from there. If you don't really care to have a specific buff pet then you can just level with a turtle. They have great survivability so that should let you solo tougher quests.

Personally, I will probably go with a cat for the +Strength/Agility buff they provide. I will be leveling as MM. I will also carry my turtle with me but don't think I will need him too much. The other slots I will leave open in case I run across a new beast I would like to tame. My secondary spec will be BM so I can tame an exotic pet if I happen across one I want.

on the beta currently i actually lved a goblin hunter. the best pet for me so far has been my bug pet from AQ 20 buru the gorger. its a cunning pet but all the tanking abilitys are there and its got a bonus thqat lets you get and give a stam buff. so far no matter how much aggro ive had on a target hes be able to get the threat and keep it off of me. this pet isnt availible now however come cata he will be tamable from 1000 needles. hes pretty easy to find just fly around the area where the guy is trying to sell icecream go in the hive and you really cant miss him. this pet is a BM pet by the way as for a regular pet there all the same i persoanlly went with my white fox pet. had great speed and power and held aggro also seemed to be 1 of my tougher pets, for it tanked crap my other pets couldnt.
    Last edited by twinkleblur; 2010-11-15 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chelate View Post
    Pet while leveling pretty much does not matter.

That being said, worm has a great AOE ability and is tenacity. Plus, I have an invisible worm, so even though he's gigantic, he doesn't take up my entire screen when he's close.
    i got such a worm too! /brofist
    then i just keep the worm, thanks!

The best tank is the turtle as said above. You should spec it as a tank and avoid all +dmg abilities, and here you are, soloing elites.

For levelling, Any pet will do the trick. Just spec it with dps abilities to level faster.
    I would still recommend a tenacity pet because of thunderclap wich is very handy in multi-aggro situations.

the worms is amazing, especially when you have the invisible one, makes things a lot easier since that big worm is not in the way.

in BM spec, I have spirit beasts, one tuned to PVE DPS, one refined for PVP. Solo I really like the abilities of a rhino. I havent found anything as good for soloing.
    MM spec I prefer cunning pets; I just find more uses for the abilities opposed to the standard cat pets.

can use just about any pet for normal questing, but to solo those tough elites along the way, you will want to have a turtle around.

For off-tanking/doing group quest/soloing old content:
    Turtle for solooing single mobs with heavy damage bursts. Worms for groups or single monsters that do not hit that hard. My hunter is soloing BC heroics these days for fun(and profit) and worms does wonders, but thats is because, for the most part, the true difficult part of BC heroics is the trash and not the bosses.

For normal questing:
    Whatever pet you like. I ussually use a cat unless I need to level up any other pet.

My turtle pretty much takes care of itself

I think i read that the Worm will drop aggro when you use the burrow skill in cata. so it might not be the best tanking pet.. fushio hits the nail on the head with the turtle i think! And even for AoE turtle would be fine with MD+glyph and multishot

Deleted
    I just use my worm most of the time because of the burrow attack and if im not BM i use a turtle.

I use a turtle for soloing old raids like ZG/AQ20. The shell shield is very handy, pop it and a mend pet it will pretty much top him off regardless

Deleted
    I still use my warpstalker atm, he tanks Attumen the huntsman easy, haven't had any reason to seek a turtle yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chelate View Post
    Plus, I have an invisible worm, so even though he's gigantic, he doesn't take up my entire screen when he's close.
    I've used the Ghost Jormungar pre-4.0 and post. Still love it.
    "Work is da poop! NO MORE!" - Disgruntled Dragonmaw Peon

TURTLE it has never failed me yet hes like my little super dude and i put him through alot of pain and punishment :P however while he can hold aoe aggro with thunderstomp it takes a sec for him to get threat for aoe. i let my turtle tank instances all the way to 70 but not the optimal thing to do if ur party likes to jump in and kill everything on sight altho hes like 3 times beter then any player tank in terms of surviving. turtle seems to stop being as effective once reaching wotlk content in terms of tanking instances i havent tested it in the right circumstance yet so i cant be sure but just a heads up.
    as far as i can tell worm cant dodge when using his special aoe and seems to go down pretty fast when he uses it

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I prefer Turtle. The 50% damage reduction + Last Stand is a great combo.
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Get a turtle for soloing imo, the shield is great for quickly healing it up if it doesnt keep up with the mobs damage. Its just a lovely panic button
    Code:
    while (flamingPeople)
    {
         ePenis++;
    }