Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spicie View Post
    Each has their own role in a 5 man group

Tank = Gain and keep aggro on a set of mobs (however many hethinks he can handle)
    Healer = Heal all incoming damage
    Dps = Kill the mobs the tank has controlled without aggroing them

Whats so hard about that
    This is all the explanation needed. You're asking why the tanks that aren't you won't put up with mistreatment like you do. The fastest way for a group to advance is to do so cohesively. On live we're overgeared and able to get away with a lot in instances. Sometimes the dps are so overgeared they can tank what they pull, my paly can. That is not always the case. It's not best practice for moving forward, and it might not be something the tank or healer wants to deal with.
    A tank that lets a pulling dps die has done nothing worse than the dps has. Why get mad at one but not the other? If anything, the dps is at greater fault for actively endangering people and causing them stress while the tank simply allows people the consequences of their own actions. The tank is like a bus driver, responsible for the passengers, and you want them to smile while people are snatching at the wheel.

I'd argue they deserve a little space to dictate the speed. They bear the most weight in controlling the fight and in doing so they're taking on a job the majority of players patently do _not_ wanting to be doing at that time. There was a time that some dps classes were considered 'pullers.' Blizz has consistently pulled us away from that direction. They want the tank out front initiating and directing combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Don't we make queues instant? Omybad
    You make queues instant for yourself, I wish I would group with a tank who thinks he's the best player for doing his role. Not saying there are only decent tanks, I've met some great tanks that I respect. But I don't kneel before you, just because you think you deserve it.

Shit the only time a tank/dps/healer deserves respect is for tanking something that's hard, and all players who were in the act do so as well. Without dps the tank would hit enrage timer, without tank everyone would die, without healer everyone would die, you need everything. It's like making a cake, I guess.
    Last edited by Zarios; 2010-11-17 at 12:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its already annoying enough with the impatient dps that WW/HB/DS/AoE the instant I charge, so constantly pulling for me will not get you on my good side. I chain pull everything, I wait till theres one left then simply charge and pull the next pack, don't pull for tanks, just dps shit faster.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Tank = Gain and keep aggro on a set of mobs (however many hethinks he can handle)

Whats so hard about that
    it isn't at all

but i made a few edits, a tanks job is only to manage agro
    this means gain, keep and move on once it is sufficient and the healer can handle the new mobs

otherwise those are very accurate, healers should heal as is necessary to keep the group moving with no one dieing. dps kill everything that the tank has managable agro on. i really wish there was a forum style FAQ/101 message, like the user agreement that made you read your role for the lfg system.

i'm also very sad that as a tank while leveling (new pally and two dk's to play with friends on other servers) i'm ALWAYS top dps. every pull and by a wide margin overall. not until late outlands do i ever see anything even close. i'm assuming that the smart dps realise that lfg is a terrible way to level due to the overwhelming portion of sub-par players in it and the insane speed that mob grinding can take place for most dps. but what it comes down to is, i pull fast, very fast and healers don't have a problem with me, dps rarely have a problem with me. but if they do it's because they aren't attacking skull, aren't waiting for my already fast pulls or are otherwise being stupid. i give one warning and after that they are on their own for dieing.
    Last edited by Mr.Pineapple; 2010-11-17 at 12:45 AM.
    Ask yourself a question: 'How have I made the world a better place today?'.

If your answer isn't legitimate, or meaningful: TRY HARDER - YOU ARE FAILING AT RL!

You are the product of 200 million years of evolution. Act Like It!

10+ Year Old Account

Whats so hard about that
    This.

Deleted
    if a dps pulls, i might let them off once, but after that its a case of 'you tank it, you spank it.' most tanks ive met in the LFG are pretty decent tbh. as wow has a big player base plenty of people are total fuckwits, and the added anonymity of the random dungeon finder was always going to further exacerbate the problem somewhat. the queues are stil quicker on average than finding it all manually though so meh. there was a recent thread that was annoying with someone bithcing about how he didnt need a healer to do the entire instance so why bitch at him about mana. a lot of this will dissapate at the very least temporarily with HC's being difficult again in cata (i hope), asshat players will have to be willing to foot some hefty repair bills if they insist on messing about all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eater_of_birds View Post
    a lot of this will dissapate at the very least temporarily with HC's being difficult again in cata (i hope), asshat players will have to be willing to foot some hefty repair bills if they insist on messing about all the time.
    And i shall rub my hands, while giggling at their misfortune.
    Sometimes I will log out in Roleplaying gear, so if my stats in the image below, seem ridicoulously low, then that's probably the reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    this banhammers gonna hit harder than puberty will hit justin bieber

What pisses me off the most about lazy non aggro tanks is it makes the healer work extra hard. So in the long run the tank is only hurting themselves.

yeah, a few weeks ago while leveling my rogue, trying to get it to 80 before the 7th, me and some friends got this real winner of a tank. dude kept smacktalking the whole party, so finally i said "you're just asking for a votekick, arent ya?" and he got all indignant like "yeah, please, votekick the tank at the last boss. ill be done with my next group before you get another one." "on second thought, ill just leave and instaqueue, while youll have to wait 20 minutes for a new tank" after he left i told the party "see, if you kick them theyll just instaqueue, but if you can trick them into leaving, theyll get a deserter" we got a tank and were through while dude still had 10 minutes left on his deserter debuff.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym
    It does no one any good to make GhostCrawler the scapegoat for all design decisions you disapprove of. Not how reality works.
    https://twitter.com/CM_Zarhym/status/275712376840531968

Well i remember myself tanking brd and outland instances with my druid who ,as a former twink , and equipped with BoA items, had outrageous stats for his level. I was able to tank huge groups of mobs and using survivability cooldowns the moment they became available to make the healers life easier and speed up the completition of the dungeon. It never caused us to wipe in any occasion, but the time that my nerves really cracked was in a brd prison run, a hunter in our group was constantly pulling packs with ranged attacks then hitting them melee waiting for me to grab them off him or the healer, by the time i was getting the aggro off these mobs he was pulling the next one. He was doing this repeatedly and so fast we didnt even have the time to kill previous packs. So i just told him that if he does that 1 more time i would leave, he did it , i used shadowmeld and then left the group, and of course they all died horribly.

I accept this was a bad thing i did because i ruined the run for the 3 others who actually did fine, but i really didnt have the patience at that point to keep up.

And of course i have had bad experience with selfish tanks as a dps. While i was leveling my hunter and running Maraudon crystal waters part in one run among the many i ckecked the tank in the first 3-4 packs, noticed he was doing quite well with holding aggro and moving in general (not keyboard turning and stuff) and started dps as soon as he was running to the pack and was still about 5-10 yards away. After 3-4 packs he started telling me to stop beeing a jerk and let him tank, and i responded that i didnt actually disturb his tanking all that much. After that in the following packs he was waiting for me to pull about 5 mins before each pack and after that he typed "You pull, you tank" and immediately ran to the next pack to tank it. I stated that if i pull , my boar tanks ( as a tenacity pet its really overpowered as a pet tank and can actually do quite well even tanking group dungeons ). On bosses he was again waiting for me to pull, my boar tanked with our healer on it, and after he saw we cant really die because he is idle he started tanking normally the boss. The funny thing is that after he got flamed for beeing a totall ass he got votekicked and we cleared the instance with my boar O.o tanking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptorg
    Dwarf:
    Rolling rock.
    8-25 yard range.
    You start rolling like a rock towards your opponent, dealing damage equal to 50% of your attack power, or 75% of your spellpower.
    While rolling you do not feel pity or remorse or fear and you cannot be stopped unless killed.
    When rolling downhill, damage caused is increased by 50%.
    http://www.viddler.com/explore/failblog/videos/288/26.926/

Quote Originally Posted by Zarios View Post
    I don't know why tanks think they deserve the most respect from anyone, they're players like everyone else. I'll admit that i'll pull in heroics if the tank spends half the time looting every mob. I've had so many who leave the group, and whisper me saying enjoy the que. Good thing tanking in heroics is a joke, even as dps. I give more respect to those who actually do well at their job. Also, tanks that think because you pull off it was your fault for pulling aggro, there's such thing as shitty tanks. Tanks that think that people pulling off every time means they're bad at holding aggro imo, the only time I see a tank not hold aggro is because a dps either pulled for him or the dps is going nuts at the start.
    There is no reason you should ever pull as a DPS unless you are a hunter/rogue and the tank has either asked you to or you know for sure that they are ready. All you are doing by pulling is making everyone's job harder. If the tank is slow, maybe its because they are just learning. Politely ask them to speed up if you are really that impatient.

Yeah, bad tanks stick out, a lot more then a bad DPS or a bad healer.

I usually taunt mobs off the dps if they accidentally over aggro me. What pisses me off is when dps pull the next group and expect me to aggro them off him. Even if that does happen, I won't jump down his throat with insults, just keep moving through the instance for the other two dps and the healer while I grumble behind my computer screen.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pineapple View Post
    i'm also very sad that as a tank while leveling (new pally and two dk's to play with friends on other servers) i'm ALWAYS top dps. every pull and by a wide margin overall. not until late outlands do i ever see anything even close. i'm assuming that the smart dps realise that lfg is a terrible way to level due to the overwhelming portion of sub-par players in it and the insane speed that mob grinding can take place for most dps. but what it comes down to is, i pull fast, very fast and healers don't have a problem with me, dps rarely have a problem with me. but if they do it's because they aren't attacking skull, aren't waiting for my already fast pulls or are otherwise being stupid. i give one warning and after that they are on their own for dieing.
    Actually a good and well-geared tank at low levels just does a stupid amount of dps. When i levelled dps alts I had lots of groups where i was on top of the damage meter, but sometimes i'd just run into a warrior or paladin that does 1k dps overall in a level 50 dungeon. Now some classes might match that with excessive AoE spam but yeah, stupid amount of dps for a tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    this is the reason why i changed my offspec from holy to prot, so i dont have to deal with those retards who think they are superior because they bought gear runnning a few heroics...

Deleted
    You know what frustrates me the most about it all? (Being DPS, healer and tank)

Why does everything have to be such a rush?

Deleted
    I tank on my healer, because of bad tanks.

and on previous occasions have been blamed for not healing them. (easy target with pap gear on my alt)

Generally if any player is being a tard, I'll votekick and if that fails. I'll leave.

JP's ain't worth your morals (yo)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellahz View Post
    You know what frustrates me the most about it all? (Being DPS, healer and tank)

Why does everything have to be such a rush?
    Efficiency is important to people, it is to me anyway. Also it's not very nice to spend 15 mins longer somewhere than yiou have to, if you've already been there many many times before.
    "The truth, my goal."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    Efficiency is important to people, it is to me anyway. Also it's not very nice to spend 15 mins longer somewhere than yiou have to, if you've already been there many many times before.
    Hmm, true...I just tend to enjoy randoms when it's more relaxed, people talking, joking, having a nice smooth run...rather than zerging with no interaction and no time to sip your cuppa while you're at it. I see it like this - you've been there a hundred times before, you're just going to be there another hundred times, might as well make it somewhat enjoyable.

(Sorry, I know that's sort of OT.)
    Last edited by mmocd6be9e89ba; 2010-11-17 at 01:17 AM.

im a tank for life and i hate to admit it but i have gotten kinda pissed when dps dont let me pull but i get aggro back, and i know im important to the group but so is everyone else. ubt what really makes me mad is when dps keep trying to taunt off of me on a big group of mobs or on a boss, and yes sometimes i have let them die and then get aggro back just to show them a lesson. and if i can help it, which i can, i do not let people die and i go fast, so know i dont think im a god because im a tank, ok thats a lie, we all do but i dont let it get to my head like the idiots do.