New to Healing as a Pally...

So I've done quite a bit of searching here, the official forums and on Google at large. I have yet to find anything even close to resembling a "Basics of Healing as a Holy Paladin" that is remotely up to date with the current patches. I'm not looking for information on what addons to use (I prefer to learn my class/role first, then move to add-ons that I feel will add to my enjoyment and effectiveness), but rather a simple overview of how to get started.

A bit of info about my current knowledge: My main is a Level 80 Combat Rogue with some ICC experience. I also have a Level 65 Frost Mage. I know how to kill things up close really well, and from afar fairly well. My Paladin, on the other hand, is Level 46 - and I have been levelling him up through questing and the Dungeon Finder as a Tank. Recently I dual-specced him and want to try my hand at Healing for a change of pace in the dungeons, but I can't seem to find any basic information on healing to help me get started.
    Eat until you're full, sleep until you wake,
    laugh until you cry, love until you die.

Healing is not anything like DPS'ing. When people are giving you advice to use addons, it is because you NEED to. (blah blah long arguement incoming from macro loyalists, which mouseover macros do the same exact thing as the useful mods anyway)

So yea, what I am about to say can be achieved with macros, but it isn't needed.

Three main healing addons would be Healbot, Vuhdu, or Clique(also useful for other roles)+grid(or other raid frames, but grid is very useful as well).
    Also may want to get an addon to make your talent proc's more visible. (Daybreak talent)

If I must explain (even though people have everywhere) it is undoubtably more effective to heal without switching targets first. This is something you want to get used to right away.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sMIbzrzh is right around what you'd want your talent tree to look like at 46.
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#scIbzrduuczhb is right around what you'd want at 80. Not 100% on the last 5 points.

As far as healing strategy goes....

Until you get Tower of Radiance, the only way to get holy power to use with Word of Glory is with Holy Shock. Holy Shock is an amazing spell that also grants you other benefits to your casted spells through your talents, you basically want to use it on CD. As with all abilities in all specs of a paladin, you ideally want to use Word of Glory with 3HP. However as your job is to keep people alive, use it as needed. It is a very efficient spell and should be used at any time you get it to 3HP if you don't need it sooner.

You want to beacon the tank, use holy light whenever to keep people up when Holy Shock is on CD, have no HP, and no one is going to die before the cast is up.
    Flash of Light is your fast heal that is very inefficient, only use for massive damage.
    Judge an enemy every minute to keep your haste buff up, make sure to refresh beacon as needed.
    For really massive damage incoming on the tank you can also use Hand of Sacrifice.

Prime Glyphs: Glyph of Seal of Insight > Glyph of Holy Shock = Glyph of Word of Glory (not sure which of the last two is better)
    Major Glyphs: Glyph of Beacon of Light > other choices include Divine Plea, Cleansing, Divinity, Long Word

Umm, not sure if I missed anything.

Thanks for the reply. I hear you on the add-ons - and I've surmised that Healing is a much different beast than DPS. I do think I will try to play without any add-ons for a while though, just to get a feel for what I want when I get them. I'm quite familiar with macros though, seeing as I do both PVE and PVP with my Rogue. Mouseover macros are probably what I'll use for healing to start.

The stuff you shared about the talents and spell priorities will be quite helpful though. That is the kind of info I've been (unsuccessfully) looking for. I hadn't even thought about the Judgement bit, but that makes quite a bit of sense to keep spellcasting moving at a good pace.
    Eat until you're full, sleep until you wake,
    laugh until you cry, love until you die.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I see necessary to add is the last 5 points once you hit level 80 is mainly preference, I myself prefer Crusade from the Ret tree over Divinity paired with Eternal Glory. /shrug

15+ Year Old Account
    http://cata.wowhead.com/talent#scIbz...bZcb:cVmafZMcz is the spec you should be looking at for L85, you don't need points in EJ and can move those to Paragon, while picking up Imp Judge in the Ret tree for the added length.

Glyph wise, Im not sure how Long Word is working, or how our Mana Regen is at at 85 (Making the Lay on Hands glyph(s) more or less appealing).

Quote Originally Posted by ruzhy6 View Post
    Until you get Tower of Radiance, the only way to get holy power to use with Word of Glory is with Holy Shock.
    Healing the beaconed raider also generates Holy Power..

For me I find it best to get in or just behind the melee on bosses (depending on boss). This allows you to Judge (for the haste) every minute, and use Lol of Dawn for AoE heals when melee and tank take lots of damage. Try and use as said above Holy Shock on cooldown - if no-one needs healing use it for damage, to generate Holy Power. When you have 3 HP use WoG. Use HS/WoG on Daybreak.

HoS is very useful on heavy tank damage. Also don't forget to use cooldowns Divine Favour and Avenging wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatpob View Post
    Healing the beaconed raider also generates Holy Power..
    Yes...after you get Tower of Radiance.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeastRivin View Post
    Yes...after you get Tower of Radiance.
    Yer I assumed he was discussing end healing and one would assume as a holy paladin you will take the talent as it is part of the holy tree.
    so yes after you get the talent, use HL on tank/beaconed target

Quote Originally Posted by Fatpob View Post
    Yer I assumed he was discussing end healing and one would assume as a holy paladin you will take the talent as it is part of the holy tree.
    so yes after you get the talent, use HL on tank/beaconed target
    Sorry my response was a little split, I tried to keep my advice for what was applicable at his level.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for this post. I've been out of touch with Paladins,but with them and Druids being the top healers on launch day I will be playing one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by BishopXQ View Post
    Thank you for this post. I've been out of touch with Paladins,but with them and Druids being the top healers on launch day I will be playing one or the other.
    Just so you dont experience a shock, they were previously outright ahead of shamans and priests because of their aoe abilities. Both of which have been heavily nerf'd. So although I believe paladin's are very capable healers for cata, the pretense that you based your response off of is dated.