Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best 10 man rated BG group makeup?

Surprised not to see a discussion on this.

With rated BGs literally in just a few weeks, im looking to start a discussion on some optimal group designs. The more I think about it each BG (WG, EotS, AB, etc) might have different optimal designs.

Warsong Gulch would definately benefit by having some classes dedicated to being flag carrier (such as a tank class or resto druid).

Other BGs like EotS/AB might benefit from classes that take advantage of the terrain - ele shaman and moonkin for cliff knockbacks.

I can imagine one simple setup would be 3-5 groups. Each group would have 1 healer, 1 ranged dps, 1 melee dps. The number of grps would obviously change based on the BG and the 10v10 or 15v15 brackets. Essentially creating multiple 3v3 groups that work together. I think a grp of three would easily be able to stick together and be formidable.
    Lets discuss it.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well we have been working on this a while and it does depend on what BG.

IN WG we have....
    Point men (Pally/DK/FeralBear) who can absorb shit loads of damage they run at the front of our formation. (noob groups always get focused on the first person that moves in)
    Healer Hunters (Rogue/FeralCat)
    Flag Carriers (RestoDruid mainly)
    And High damage Dealers....Pref Ranged due to the nature of the open ground.

In AB Lumber will be taken by a Shaman/Chicken + Mage + Healer. (Knockdown and Slowfall wicked for the high up places)

GM will be two hardcore Melee and a healer - Melee do allot better in AB as a whole as there is lots of LoS to use.

For AB we find if you hold the Centre you win the game. As Alliance using a DK and path of frost means you make it there first and catch the horde in the open and smash them will high damage Casters and 2 healers (we use 4 healers in AB).

If all goes well. Or you are not facing a good premade with 3 to LM and GM and 9 going through the middle you are camping the GY in less than 90 seconds and its an easy Win. IMO AB is the best BG to play if you get two good teams.

Basically I dont think Team Comp will work the same way as areans. There are jobs to be done in BGs and certain typs of class suit each job. I suppose ATM teams will stack a few mages for focused damage? But there damage will be brought into line soon. I have no doubt.

Mikki

Prot Warriors will be solid flag carriers provided they're wearing resilience gear. You'll also want 3-4 healers (3 is probably just right), with none of them being priests (until they get buffed, lulz).

As for DPS, just grab whoever is competent. Everyone has a role in a rated battleground.

actually just go 10/10 frost mage and spam ice lance and win. herp.

And so it begins.... Exactly my point. 15 mans would be MUCH harder to argue comps on. 10 Is so much closer to Arena setups

Deleted
    WSG (for example)
    1 or 2 flag carrier. preferably feral druid, prot warr, prot pala
    4 dps.
    4 or 5 healers.

General tactics: MOVE AS GROUP. No fucking hk farming or rambo bullshit. If you died, wait at gy for everyone to ress (talk in vent). Once you have most of the group go straight for the enemy flag, preferably avoiding the other raid as much as possible. No defense of your flag room necesarry as you will take the flag back on your way back.

10 man:
    FC: Feral druid (Great damage reduction, removing snares, sprint)
    Healers: Holy priest, holy paladin, resto shaman
    DPS: Two mages, rogue, hunter (for large-scale map control), spriest, unholy DK

The holy paladin will go with the feral druid and stick with him, one of the mages will also stay with him if the EFC gets passed our mid team. The other mage, hunter and unholy DK are there for good splash/slows/CCs, all of them have very good ways to create enormous multi-person pressure, and when the rogue is ready to sap a healer, everyone has great burst to unload onto the FC.

15 man is much more difficult. Holding three bases (Whether it be AB or EoTS) is key, and if the enemy team zergs you in one base, just let them have it and take the base they left. So we will have three fives teams, each made up of a healer, three ranged and a DPS, at each node. One of the ranged DPS and one extra healer from one of the 5s teams will go down and carry the flag (if it's EoTS).

That seems pretty solid to me.

General tactics: MOVE AS GROUP. No fucking hk farming or rambo bullshit. If you died, wait at gy for everyone to ress (talk in vent). Once you have most of the group go straight for the enemy flag, preferably avoiding the other raid as much as possible. No defense of your flag room necesarry as you will take the flag back on your way back.
    lol. good luck in rated bgs.

Deleted
    4 druid healers and 5 priest healers and one pally healer. they will out-annoy any combo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by akuaku View Post
    4 druid healers and 5 priest healers and one pally healer. they will out-annoy any combo
    all healer groups on AB makes sense. Get 3 bases and heal heal heal heal heal.

If you get 3 bases then it will be very hard 2 take them from you. Hopefully mana issues will eventually kick in cos there wouldnt have been mana issues if rated BGs were in wrath.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    yeah because mirrored tactics are sooo good..
    I believe you should split up in the middle. you either slow them down or throw them back. do take down their healers if they leave any in the middle as they generally wont be anything to worry about when returning from their flagroom (bad CC compared to DD classes). if you slow them down (as all 10 will dismount for example or a large portion) you will have the advantage when coming to the middle.
    Its very situational and you must adjust tactics all the time. if you dont and go with the "oh and take the flag back when going down" tactic 90% of the regulars will try the same thing often resulting in both flags getting returned. also its good to have somebody stay back just in case with sprint if you fuck up

---------- Post added 2010-11-18 at 03:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arthmael View Post

If you get 3 bases then it will be very hard 2 take them from you. Hopefully mana issues will eventually kick in cos there wouldnt have been mana issues if rated BGs were in wrath.
    no they wont. healers will once again stack resilience and with all the manareg they can distribute amongst themselves.. eventually they will kill the non-healing classes from whatever mechanic..

actually let me correct the 4 druids 5 priests 1 pally for warsong. get a shaman in there or more. manatide works for the group and can be placed hidden easily, also they regenerate more mana than any other healer while under "siege"

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    WSG (for example)
    Almost perfect IMO

Just don't wait to attack them on the return. Turn left and T-Bone the enemy as fast as you can while they're still mounted. Dismount early if in their path and if in range, dismount first! In Rated BGs they'll probably do the same to you, but if they don't (or if you don't) someone ends up taking free kills.

I can't even count how many WSG pugs I've opened with a late turn or even alone and out of position with the 30% damage powerup and caught a straggler with concussive shot/pet charge/chimera shot daze who was so desperate to catch back up to the pack that he didn't realize he'd go 100-0 at 50% speed reduction until like 20-40%. Not all classes have such good ranged slows/snares, but for my part I'm sure to spam concussive shot on secondary mouseover targets for friendly melee classes also out for blood.

And I'm talking pugs obviously; a good team with good pvpers won't be so sloppy. But if you can get even one GCD off before they dismount, that still puts you one GCD ahead. Take it.

After first debuff it's gg. I've berated my RL friends enough that I can expect mid-game might or fear ward buffs. But generally I never see anyone, friend or foe, with 1 death, buffed back up to "preparation" levels. Mid-late game sporadically cast dispells/buff timers might level the playing field somewhat, but usually if the winning team continues to move as a group--like you said--it doesn't matter if the first victory was an undeserved fluke or not.

If you ask me, 3 flags will be a waste of everyone's time in rated BGs. I'd be happy with just one. Even in pugs you can usually tell who's gonna win after the first clash.

OT: 5 H pally, 5 mage :P ya, I'm optimistic about rated BGs, but pessimistic about class balance. Tar and feather me.
    Last edited by JShepherd87; 2010-11-18 at 11:51 PM.

Deleted
    This is the WSG plan we used to follow in vanilla it may not be the best plan but hear it out:

we used to have 1 feral druid and prot/holy paladin collect the flag, paladin casts blessing of freedom druid runs in sprints off with flag, easy!

3 healers and 4 dps in the middle, a mix of dps is always good, frost mages warriors hunters and warlocks preferable at the time
    these would usually take out the team running for the flag allowing some to filter through on low hp if needs be.

finally 1 rogue stays in the flag room to take out any enemy players moving through to take the flag

only a plan tell me what ya think

Deleted
    Ideal 10 man: Mage, Mage, Mage, Mage, Mage, Mage, Mage, Mage, Mage, Mage,
    Group should 10 mages not be available: 3 Healers, 3 ranged dps, 3 melee dps & one tanking spec'd pvp geared melee.

Deleted
    For WSG i would say: Take 3 Healers - 1 For each group Attack Group - Middle Group - Def Group

For the Attacking group id say : Holy Pala , Mage, Warrior & Another Melee

Middle Group : Shaman/Priest/Pala as healer again,1Melee and 1 Ranged DPS.

Def Group: Rogue, Healer and another Ranged.

that is how i would go for WSG

Deleted
    imo for WSG, there should be a middle group, consisting of four players 2 tanks 1 healer and 1 hunter/fmage this group's job primary role is assisting the carrier group throu the field then killing as possible.

2nd flag carring group with 2 healers 1 carrier this group purpose is solely to carry the flag.

Then i would recommend 3 stealthers, those 3 are the execute group , they should be roaming in stealth between middle and flag group picking targets. they should stay close to both groups and give aid to those in danger. group 1 n 2 are tough enough to stay alive till the sins group arive.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthmael View Post

Having all healers is nice, but uh. How are you supposed to kill people to take nodes?

Cheese comps will rule the rated BG's. I mean imagine 10 SS rogues with coordinated strikes. Your healers would be dead before they knew what happened and the sheer CC available would be very powerful. 10 moonkins, can you imagine that?

With a balanced group you have tanks, CC, healer, etc. If you lose one of these areas in battle it effects the whole play. With a stacked group you only have 1 role but its massively amplified with coordination. You can easily take out a key area of a balanced group leaving you with a big advantage.

My thoughts regarding this matter is that it won't have much to say really. It doesn't really matter, all sorts of compos will work, I am sure of it Some combos are weaker against others, and stronger against someone else. Patience is a virtue If you got a guild who likes pvp, try testing it out now, try setting up combos for different battlegrounds and see how well each combo does

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimar235 View Post
    Cheese comps will rule the rated BG's. I mean imagine 10 SS rogues with coordinated strikes. Your healers would be dead before they knew what happened and the sheer CC available would be very powerful. 10 moonkins, can you imagine that?
    I have to agree with this a bit. I play disc priest and I can't wait for rated BGs, but I dread the thoughts of what happens when i get killed in 1.3 seconds by two rogues and a feral druid. I hope it doesn't come down to spamming rogues or anything of that matter.

As for my WSG comp: being a healer, I tend to value a good heal above all, so I'd say 4 healers, 5 amazing dps (3 melee, 2 ranged), and a prot pally. One of the healers needs to be viable dishing out some support damage (disc priest is great for this). The tank or the resto druid run flag and healers keep up the dps to return our own flag. Now I just need to find a good guild to run this with and we'll see how it goes.
    "Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

WSG List:

1. Feral druid flag carrier.
    2. Holy Paladin
    3. Holy Paladin
    4. Holy Paladin
    5. Frost mage
    6. Frost mage
    7. Frost mage
    8. Frost mage
    9. Frost mage
    10. Frost mage