What if you already have a Vargul Bloodhound?

As of 4.0.3a, Vargul Bloodhounds are considered members of the Dog family. I tamed one when it was still a wolf, though, so I'm curious: will it stay a wolf as of release, or will I now have a dog and have to find a new wolf to tame?

EDIT: NVM, found answer on petopia: it will be considered a dog. Guess I'll need to go find another wolf then ...
    Last edited by Kalcheus; 2010-11-19 at 12:57 PM. Reason: found answer elsewhere
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    You do realise the DPS change is now negligible in 4.0? O.o So feel free to keep your doggy.

Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    You do realise the DPS change is now negligible in 4.0? O.o So feel free to keep your doggy.
    You do realize Dogs have a pinch-style manuever making them suitable for PVP, while Wolves have the howl that increases Critical Strike more suitable for PVE, right?
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, snap.

Get an oilstained wolf, they are pretty bawss.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    You do realize Dogs have a pinch-style manuever making them suitable for PVP, while Wolves have the howl that increases Critical Strike more suitable for PVE, right?
    you do realize that in raids tthat 5% crit probably covered by other classes right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    you do realize that in raids tthat 5% crit probably covered by other classes right?
    yes and another 5% is bad why?
    -Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.
    -Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die.
    -Never miss a good chance to shut up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kichiro View Post
    Because it doesn't stack?

you do realize that the dogs' ability is essentially useless in Raids, right? I'd rather have a pet available that *might* be able to help the Raid than one that can't.

It doesn't stack. If you have a Fury Warrior, Ele Shaman, Subtlety Rogue or Feral Druid it's a redundant buff and will be overwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by Waff View Post
    Because it doesn't stack?
    Can you answer another question with a question?

At any rate, you can still use the doggy if you want, sure it may have a PvP ability, but if it looks cool and you like it, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by muCephei View Post
    At any rate, you can still use the doggy if you want, sure it may have a PvP ability, but if it looks cool and you like it, go for it.
    I'm actually going to get the "blue" one from BT/Nexus instead for my PVP set of animals (sorry Tippy). Haven't decided what Wolf to get yet, but since I just secondary spec'd to BM and I'm going to play around with it a little bit, it's a moot point right now.

Your sig makes this so much more amusing to me

you do realize that the dogs' ability is essentially useless in Raids, right? I'd rather have a pet available that *might* be able to help the Raid than one that can't.

It doesn't stack. If you have a Fury Warrior, Ele Shaman, Subtlety Rogue or Feral Druid it's a redundant buff and will be overwritten.
    dog would be more useful than wolf if theres already crit buff. dogs can catch runners

dog would be more useful than wolf if theres already crit buff. dogs can catch runners
    that's ... a good point. two arguments against:
    there aren't many runners typically in raids. heroics seem more likely
    if you're going to go through the trouble of targetting the runner, it's probably just as easy to Conc Shot > Kill Shot the runner rather than Attack > Lockjaw*. Obviously if you're out of range it's more feasible to send the dog, but then you have to keep the Lockjaw off until you need it

I think the very situational usage of the dog doesn't justify having one in your active raid group. Going off the flowchart, wolf is second in priority if you're not spec'd BM. Obviously you won't always need it, but it's a more solid option.

*I think that's what it's called for Dogs
    Last edited by Kalcheus; 2010-11-19 at 06:59 PM. Reason: missed a verb

10+ Year Old Account
    that's ... a good point. two arguments against:
    there aren't many runners typically in raids. heroics seem more likely
    if you're going to go through the trouble of targetting the runner, it's probably just as easy to Conc Shot > Kill Shot the runner rather than Attack > Lockjaw*. Obviously if you're out of range it's more feasible to send the dog, but then you have to keep the Lockjaw off until you need it

I think the very situational usage of the dog doesn't justify having one in your active raid group. Going off the flowchart, wolf is second in priority if you're not spec'd BM. Obviously you won't always need it, but it's a more solid option.

*I think that's what it's called for Dogs
    Well if you're raiding you aren't thinking "Gee I should use a wolf!" are you? Instead you're thinking about getting a pet for every debuff/buff that you think you could realistically have a use for(aka no -attack speed or -10% damage done, we will always have a tank in raids so keep that bear away). Setup so far for me looks like a ravager, cat, wolf, raptor setup with one free space. I can either fill that free space with a magic damage taken debuff or get a pet that I like and just use him/her whenever I have no need for the others(Huhuran ftw).

So shortened down, we can bring 5(I think?) pets with us so trying to argue about how often a wolf is going to be useful compared to a dog is pointless. And for 5mans I would rather have a dog out than a wolf for trash, if a runner gets to the next group at 85 when you need the gear it leads to a wipe. Slower but safer is my motto for Cataclysm heroics.
    Last edited by MortalWombat; 2010-11-19 at 07:24 PM.

Instead of focusing on runners, it could be useful as just a good old general CC

No one is arguing against also having a dog (whether it's in your active 4/5 or not). The original point of this thread was that the Varguls were switching from Wolf to Dog, so you need to go tame a Wolf too. The argument that broke out was whether you need to get a wolf if you have a dog; the answer is Yes.
    Last edited by Kalcheus; 2010-11-19 at 07:37 PM. Reason: strike that, reverse it

Thanks for making this thread, as I had the same question

And as for the whole dog/wolf argument, it's pretty simple: use what your raid needs. If your raid has all the buffs you could viably bring, go for whatever skin you like. It's why I have a flamingo standing by (though it might have to be replaced by a fox...dancing pets FTW)

15+ Year Old Account
    Where are these "Vargul Bloodhounds" at? The only thing close to that name I could find on wowhead was Vargul Blighthound which is a wolf not a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Where are these "Vargul Bloodhounds" at? The only thing close to that name I could find on wowhead was Vargul Blighthound which is a wolf not a dog.
    Yeah, it is a Blighthound. I keep screwing up and calling it a Bloodhound, and I can't change the title of the thread.

They're wolves now, but become dogs as of 4.0.3a

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I don't mind if my Vargul turns into a dog - I will pick up a new pet (about time to change the looks too!) and continue to play as usual.

I'm not so bothered about a pet doing 200 more dps (or whatever) than another one because let's face it, sneezing during an encounter or your girlfriend spilling some lubricant on your keys is gonna make for a far larger dps variation. Roll with what you like most and (maybe) bring the buffs your guild *desperately* needs and enjoy yourself instead of minmaxing for a small dps increase you will never likely notice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascherzon
    He doesn't read topics before he posts - he just takes a dump, smears it all over his face, rolls his face across the keyboard and presses post.