Lower your latency.

If you are running Vista or windows XP Service pack 3 and have high latency there's a problem windows causes as well. Its something in network settings that is set as a default. There is a program you can get that does an auto fix, most people see a 100MS+ improvement in latency mine was about 140MS lower so I'm sitting at about 89MS on average. Just Google WoW Ping Fixer. This is for anyone who was experiencing a high latency and it will not fix server side issues (obviously).

or just go to wowinterface.com and search for leatrix

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhunter View Post
    Like the title says, I'm just curious.

Leatrix Latency Fix
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...atencyFix.html

Its not that I'm worried this is a spyware or something. I'm sure WoWInterface will shut it down long ago. Just wondering if anyone uses this or tried this addon? Is it even worth installing?

What does it do?

Leatrix Latency Fix will reduce your World of Warcraft latency significantly by increasing the frequency of TCP acknowledgements sent to the game server. For the technically minded, this is a script which will modify TCPAckFrequency.

You will also see reduced latency in other online games such as Aion, Warhammer and Lord of the Rings. The average reduction in latency (based on feedback from comments) is 66%. Click the Change Log tab above to see a summary of player feedback.

System Requirements

Leatrix Latency Fix is supported on these operating systems only.

Windows XP (SP2 or higher)
    Windows Vista (SP1 or higher)
    Windows 7
    Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows are supported.
    Macintosh users should read the relevant section in the FAQ below.

How It Works

Wow uses the TCP protocol which requires that network segments sent to your computer be acknowledged in order to provide a reliable connection.

Windows bundles these acknowledgements together and sends them in pairs. While this is an efficient way of dealing with them generally, the inevitable delays caused by the bundling process increase latency considerably.

This is because when Windows queues up an acknowledgement in order to bundle it with the following one, the game server has to wait for the acknowledgement timer to expire before sending new data.

Leatrix Latency Fix removes the acknowledgement bundling process so that an acknowledgement is sent immediately for every segment that's received. This produces a significant reduction in latency as there is no longer a delay before new data is sent to your computer.

In a normal networking environment, you would prioritise network efficiency over latency and use the Windows defaults, but in Wow the opposite is true and you want the lowest latency you can possibly get.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ed-this-before

^^^^^^^^^^^ u are correct sir, that's what you need.

10+ Year Old Account
    what akir said.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

Or just get a better service provider. I switched from Verizon DSL to Comcast cable, and saw my latency drop from 150+ on a busy night to 30~ on a busy night.

Its well and good to strive for lower latency as long as you all understand that there's more components to a good, stable and "enjoyable" network connection in the game than just having low latency... you can have a 10ms ping and still have crappy performance if other factors like bandwidth are crap.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by halmotors View Post
    Or just get a better service provider. I switched from Verizon DSL to Comcast cable, and saw my latency drop from 150+ on a busy night to 30~ on a busy night.
    What Comcast area are you in? My area gets about 300ms latency consistently but there are nights where it is far, far worse. Then again, our area does have Comcast service that is incredibly bad as far as television services are concerned.

Deleted
    WTFast is okay. Thing is about half of its user base (me included) are experiencing extremely bad lag whenever we enter 25 man boss encounters, not the trash, just the boss.

Correct, or even changing wireless settings. All these programs do is force your CPU to overclock or in some cases just manipulate the numbers you see in your latency while embedding a ghost key logger. Either or, simple e-peen stroker is a simple e-peen stroker and with easy stroking you usually have a high chance to get hypohigenic squirrel aids so enjoy it.

Lowering WOW ping

I found pingbetter.com had a client that reduced me from 500 ish in New Zealand to low 200's or better

10+ Year Old Account
    FYI that has more to do with hub switching and routing paths and local connectivity more so than ISP.

That, and Comcast is SHIT. They'd disconnect me while browsing the internet and playing WoW at the same time for HOURS at a time, not to mention they're over priced.

---------- Post added 2010-11-23 at 05:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tartcart View Post
    Correct, or even changing wireless settings. All these programs do is force your CPU to overclock or in some cases just manipulate the numbers you see in your latency while embedding a ghost key logger. Either or, simple e-peen stroker is a simple e-peen stroker and with easy stroking you usually have a high chance to get hypohigenic squirrel aids so enjoy it.
    My pc hasn't over clocked and I've run the program, and it has no viruses.

So you're saying?

I have also seen high latency first login since the prep started for Cataclysm but if I quit WOW and restart it settles down more quickly.

Tried a few proxy services which dis reduce the ping proportionally, however still saw this phenomena just the actual ping mS was reduced.

I am in New Zealand so I always get a high ping 500 + is typical, tried a local proxy firm pingbetter.com and got around 200 after a minute or two. Having said this depite the game reporting 2000 + ping for a while after login initial the character movement in Daralan seemed Ok