The way time passes in Azeroth.

Disclaimer: This is all based on my opinion, i am only sharing these thoughts to help those of you having a hard time grasping the difference in the situation regaurding populations and the war effort.

Ok, so the way i see it, Each Expansion pack takes place over a certain amount of years.

Origional/Vanilla WoW: The Adventure explores azeroth, starting the grandest adventure of the century in an age of hero's. this phase of World of Warcraft takes place over the course of maybe 4-5 years, and our adventurer starts at a young age ( 18-20 and up ( obviously, older if your an elf or something similar) )

The Burning Crusade: We have been called to war by our respective nations, the alliance and horde march together on outlands, but have conflicts along way. after many harfought battles with and against your opposing factions, you finally breach the black temple and defeat illidain. your next challenge is the Sunwell, where you face the powerfull demon achimond. I'd have to say this phase takes at least 6 years.

Wrath of the Lich King: The war between the alliance and the horde has gotten more serious. to make matters worse, the Lich king has attacked the major city of both the alliance and the horde. The Campaign on Northrend begins. Both factions make new allies and march across Northrend, skirmishing with eachother and the scourge. Naxrammas, Malygos, The Black Dragonflight, Even the god of death, all are defeated by your faction. the time finally comes to assult Icecrown Citadel. The alliance and the horde cause trouble for eachother and, at the same time, push further into the citadel, untill finally, the lich king is reached and beaten, but not destroyed, for there must allway be a lich king..not long after a new threat arises, Hallion, a Twilight dragon of immense power, a herals of a new age, a Herald of Cataclysm. this phase probably takes another 8 years.

so i would say that between vanilla and Cataclysm, about 20 years has passed.

as a side note, does anyone know how many hours compirses a day on the game? like how long does it take the game world to shift from day to night and back.

Deleted
    Seriously how long has Anduin been 8?

It goes in real time as far as i know so Lich king has been 2 years etc.

Deleted
    What are you talking about?!

WoW follows real-time

TBC began 2 years after Vanilla, Wrath 2 years after TBC, Cataclysm 2 years after Wrath

THUS 6 years

like i said, im not saying that this is HOW it is, i am saying that this is how some people could look at it to help them shift into the Shattering. jesh, no need to bite my head off :P

Deleted
    some people not so good at mathematics i guess.

"like how long does it take the game world to shift from day to night and back." - it changes based on real time

Quote Originally Posted by Yaroslav-WoW View Post
    some people not so good at mathematics i guess.

"like how long does it take the game world to shift from day to night and back." - it changes based on real time
    thank you, and its not that i am not good at mathematics ( although i did round 19 to 20), i just honestly never noticed that the day-night shift on wow was the same as real life day-night shifts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    What are you talking about?!

WoW follows real-time

TBC began 2 years after Vanilla, Wrath 2 years after TBC, Cataclysm 2 years after Wrath

THUS 6 years
    This... it is even confirmed in quests such as the one showing the flashback of alliance heroes killing edwin vancleef and it stating that that was 5 years ago... also note the aging of characters like anduin wrynn who was like 11 or 12 before and now is past puberty (and vanessa vancleef as well since she is apparently around his age)... sorry OP but your theories are wrong, but nice try with making the various struggles more grandiose...

Deleted
    biting your head off but why would any one need help shifting into the shattering when i go to bed at night i dont need someone their in the morning to explain to me it's a different day :s

Although this would be helpful as i have been known to get ready for work on a saturday

Quote Originally Posted by ScorchHellfire View Post
    This... it is even confirmed in quests such as the one showing the flashback of alliance heroes killing edwin vancleef and it stating that that was 5 years ago... also note the aging of characters like anduin wrynn who was like 11 or 12 before and now is past puberty (and vanessa vancleef as well since she is apparently around his age)... sorry OP but your theories are wrong, but nice try with making the various struggles more grandiose...
    i wasnt trying to make things harder dude, just trying to help people adjust to the shift in populations with the horde and alliance, essentialy. and on the note of the Vancleef quest...is that really a quest? ( no beta club)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantor View Post
    thank you, and its not that i am not good at mathematics ( although i did round 19 to 20), i just honestly never noticed that the day-night shift on wow was the same as real life day-night shifts
    Except that day-night cycles don't really have anything to do with the length of years... our measurement of a year would be the same amount of time even if the days were longer... it would just be less overall days but the same amount of time... days are just a measurement relative to our current situation just like weeks, months etc... and you saying years in your original post implies normal earth years which azeroth does follow btw... if you were trying to say that you think that azeroth years are shorter than earth years then say so, but that doesn't seem to be what you are saying so once again your above post doesn't affect your original point at all...

---------- Post added 2010-11-23 at 12:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kantor View Post
    i wasnt trying to make things harder dude, just trying to help people adjust to the shift in populations with the horde and alliance, essentialy. and on the note of the Vancleef quest...is that really a quest? ( no beta club)
    Yes its a long chain that has a cutscene in one part showing vanessa vancleef going up to her father's corpse after the anonymous alliance heroes have killed him... also what does the relative passage of time in azeroth have to do with their populations? general populations can change a whole lot in a short amount of time or not very much over a long period of time...

10+ Year Old Account
    Cthulhu 2024, why vote for a lesser evil

Quote Originally Posted by ScorchHellfire View Post
    Except that day-night cycles don't really have anything to do with the length of years... our measurement of a year would be the same amount of time even if the days were longer... it would just be less overall days but the same amount of time... days are just a measurement relative to our current situation just like weeks, months etc... and you saying years in your original post implies normal earth years which azeroth does follow btw... if you were trying to say that you think that azeroth years are shorter than earth years then say so, but that doesn't seem to be what you are saying so once again your above post doesn't affect your original point at all...

---------- Post added 2010-11-23 at 12:48 PM ----------

Yes its a long chain that has a cutscene in one part showing vanessa vancleef going up to her father's corpse after the anonymous alliance heroes have killed him... also what does the relative passage of time in azeroth have to do with their populations? general populations can change a whole lot in a short amount of time or not very much over a long period of time...
    \

yes, thats true...but there are SOME people who don't understand that, thats why i made this post. most people would look at the trolls and ask how a single island of trolls becomes a vast army. thats because they wont count in all the troll factions that join the horde throughout WoW's life.

as for the year part, i know its based on the earths orbit of the sun, not on actual time..its just, once again, easier to explain it in days/weeks/months than any other way for people who dont understand this...

in otherwords, this thread isnt really for logical people, its for irrational people.