Devastate and Shield Slam threat nerf

It's been a while since I've actually looked at the figures, but someone fill me in on just how bad the nerf to Devastate and Shield Slam will be? We will no longer be getting threat from damage with these abilities. Feels like Warriors are getting hobbled. Any thoughts?

We will no longer get any additional threat beyond the 2:1 ratio. I feel your pain - as a main tank for a raiding guild, I've already got enough trouble keeping aggro against Pally and DK tanks, not to mention dps

Deleted
    When Vengeance is stacked up warriors threat is pretty OP atm. I can pull anywhere between 25-50k TPS, never dropping below 25k. When the fight starts its another story, I struggle to get threat without MDs - at about 10k TPS which is pretty pathetic.

Hopefully this change will fix that, more threat at the start of the fight, less high's mid fight.

The Shield Slam and Devastate changes are substantial. Warrior threat will probably suck the rest of lvl 80 with all the other changes. Ultimately these changes are good though, as warriors' damage can be balanced with other tanks the same as DPS get balanced without TPS discrepancies from innate threat on abilities. Warrior threat will be fine at 85.

They did this for a reason. I'm not worried. I'm sure it isn't going to be some "warriors cant tank anymore" type shit, so don't worry your little heart about it.

revenge ftw ?
    Knuckle up naga.

Deleted
    Yeah, i didn't really understand those changes myself to be honest. I dont play a warrior right now, i have done so in the past, but i do wish to make one during Cata and will be leveling one and may dip in to play it and I'm a little worried. I am not the best tank in the world as much as i love doing it. But hopefully it'll be all right.

Deleted
    Warrior threat is bananas at the moment, haven't you noticed?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezool View Post
    Warrior threat is bananas at the moment, haven't you noticed?
    I completely agree, I don't understand why some people are complaining. I am going to make this very simple.

This change is a BUFF for early on in a fight/low damage fights. Warriors threat sucks in heroics and current content because the damage is so low because we avoid most of it. This change means that with low Vengeance you still do good damage with SS+Dev

In Cata, you are going to get hit almost all the time having very low avoidance, meaning you will be able to stack up more Vengeance than possible on Live right now. What this means is Shield Slam and Devastate damage is CRAAAAZYY.

This change fixes 2 problems at the same time. 1) Our threat being low at the start of a fight, 2) Our threat being OP when we have good vengeance.
    Last edited by mmoc18646deaeb; 2010-11-23 at 11:50 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    I don't understand why people are complaining. I am going to make this very simple.

This change is a BUFF for early on in a fight/low damage fights. Warriors threat sucks in heroics and current content because the damage is so low because we avoid most of it. This change means that with low Vengeance you still do good damage with SS+Dev

In Cata, you are going to get hit almost all the time having very low avoidance, meaning you will be able to stack up more Vengeance than possible on Live right now. What this means is Shield Slam and Devastate damage is CRAAAAZYY.

This change fixes 2 problems at the same time. 1) Our threat being low at the start of a fight, 2) Our threat being OP when we have good vengeance.
    I said bananas, bananas being good in this context

I think any nerf, change or crap we're getting at the moment is entirely justified.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezool View Post
    I said bananas, bananas being good in this context

I think any nerf, change or crap we're getting at the moment is entirely justified.
    Sorry I meant to quote you as I was agreeing. I was meant to say "I don't understand why other people are complaining"
    Really sorry it came across like this, ill edit it.

I'm less worried about the Warrior changes. Thanks to everyone who posted in my thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dayon View Post
    It's been a while since I've actually looked at the figures, but someone fill me in on just how bad the nerf to Devastate and Shield Slam will be? We will no longer be getting threat from damage with these abilities. Feels like Warriors are getting hobbled. Any thoughts?
    I wasn't too worried when I first became aware of the patch notes. The loss of the bonus threat was something of a concern but didn't lose any sleep over it. As always, while crunching numbers is fine, I prefer to get in there and just see for myself how it all works in a real situation. We ran some ICC HMs tonight and I can report that I didn't feel a big shift in what I was doing. I did subsequently change priorities a little bit to include Shockwave and Concussive Blow into my rotations, particularly in the start of the fight but aside from that, I played just like I've been playing until now.

Pulls, I did the same as before; Recklessness + Charge + HT & SS & Revenge. After that, Shield Block and SS again. During my rotation, if both Revenge and SS were several seconds to CD, I would use Shockwave or Concussive Blow instead of Devastate. I would also always time them so that I could Heroic Strike at the same time. I could very easily pull ahead of the DPS very quickly and after Vengeance stacked I was on my merry way. Mages were the only thing that tempted to catch up but it wasn't a big issue, even with our best mage in the group.

So in short, prot warriors are still in a very good place. Play well and you will not have problems.
    Last edited by mmoc6e18b67333; 2010-11-25 at 06:25 AM.

I'd rather not make an entire thread for this, but with the recent Warrior nerfs, would you guys all still recommend trying out a Warrior?

Im considering leveling one for the first time. Either a Warrior, a Rogue, for my second Druid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mat03 View Post
    I'd rather not make an entire thread for this, but with the recent Warrior nerfs, would you guys all still recommend trying out a Warrior?

Im considering leveling one for the first time. Either a Warrior, a Rogue, for my second Druid.
    Listen, tanking as a warrior is invigorating. It's intense, stimulating, and very rewarding. There's a certain sense of awesomeness that comes with being a prot warrior. Maybe it's the fact that they are the original tank, maybe it's the delusions of respect and grandeur I at least had in abundance as I proudly played my warrior, but I can assure you no other class has ever come close to the fun and fulfillment I got out of tanking on my warrior.

There's something so...gritty about playing a warrior, so...glorious!
    "The truth, my goal."

I did ICC tonight. Threat was fine. NP at all. Didnt even noticed the changes

Quote Originally Posted by Alianthos View Post
    I did ICC tonight. Threat was fine. NP at all. Didnt even noticed the changes

Same. The people crying nerf are just reading something and flipping out. This is change, like the rest, are designed for 85. People need to just get this through their heads.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by t0mat03 View Post
    Did you read what I wrote above your post? Subsequent posts after ours confirms what I said that warrior threat is just fine. So yea, it is perfectly all right to try out the class. Whether it's the kind of play that fits you, you'll find out once you start tanking at lower levels but the class itself and the associated mechanics are working perfectly. Actually, in midst of all this nerf storm people seem to have overlooked that warrior Mastery was buffed; my avoidance went up by 4% during the patch.

15+ Year Old Account
    hah, I'm glad I just decided to stop raiding the last 2 weeks until cata. get some fresh air, get my work done on my job, getting ready for the 7th of december.

... and not giving a shit about any changes of anything for lvl 80 until then. Most important thing.

Its fine but I think tps is down by around 2-3k. Anyone else having the weird omen error where mages' images dont show until after and suddenly the mage has jumped miles up the threat list?