Thread: Bear/Cat

Bear/Cat

Is it possible to be both a good cat and bear druid on the same character since you can't dual spec in the same spec? If so does anyone have a decent build for it that allows for the same talents with gear sets making the difference between the two forms instead of talents?

I was toying with a spec... Since u can now change glyphs really fast and we ahve some open options with talents, I would say yes. I dont ahve an exact talent build right now, but I will say that it is possible to do pretty good DPS as a bear/cat spec...

Abviously you wont be topping the meters and in progresson fight, you will need all the DPS u can get. But if you really want to do it, you will probably be alright in Normal Dungeons and maybe the easier Heroics. (in Cata ofc)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faerieheart View Post
    Is it possible to be both a good cat and bear druid on the same character since you can't dual spec in the same spec? If so does anyone have a decent build for it that allows for the same talents with gear sets making the difference between the two forms instead of talents?
    what do you mean you cant duel spec ?

i honestly havent put in my bear talents since the patch but iv been a feral(bear)/feral(cat) druid tru out the entire WotLK, and didnt realy any blue post about them chancing that.

i would personaly say i an a decent tank and a good kitty dps. i got an avarage ilvl of 271 for both sets. a big problem is choosing a main spec tho. as alll the new higher itemlevel items you get have to go somewhere, like atm i am cat main spec so if i get a 277 tair token it goes to my cat gear and my old cat item usealy end up in my bear gear. witch basicly puts my bear gear 1 teir behind my cat gear..
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Deleted
    It's do able, but yes you won't top meters, but then to be honest, look at the Cat talents in the tree. The only DPS related talents that you wouldn't take as bear is the +% crit chance to Ravage in Tier 1 and Blood in the Water. Primal Madness is rarely used and Nurturing Instincts is a healing talent. The rest of the talents you see in every bear build anyway.

Gear is pretty similar for bears/cats also, granted you will need different enchantments and gems and your choice of reforging will be different so you might have to collect two sets of gear and spend on gems, but yes being both in one spec is perfectly viable and that includes PVP as well.

I had a raid in ICC recently where I started off in Resto offspec, got put back on main Bear tank half way through and even had to go Cat for a couple of fights where only one tank was needed (Putracide). Versatility is always fun!

Correction, even Reforging may be the same as we have a solid Mastery in both forms.
    Last edited by mmoc691ab5818d; 2010-11-26 at 10:01 AM. Reason: - correction

15+ Year Old Account
    if you want a bear cat hybrid spec i am sure it will work out.

you should focus on mastery and agility witch will make you have a lot less hp thne te other tanks that focus on stamina. so it still adviseable to swap some items around when you swap roles

for ttalents you probely want something like this:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#0ZfMGfku0zrfkMcz - but i made this up on the fly so it might not be 100% correct
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra View Post
    what do you mean you cant duel spec ?
    I believe what the OP means is that they think you can't have both your specs as the same spec. OP: I don't know where you heard this but you can have both your specs identical if you want. There are NO restrictions like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra View Post
    if you want a bear cat hybrid spec i am sure it will work out.

you should focus on mastery and agility witch will make you have a lot less hp thne te other tanks that focus on stamina. so it still adviseable to swap some items around when you swap roles

for ttalents you probely want something like this:
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#0ZfMGfku0zrfkMcz - but i made this up on the fly so it might not be 100% correct
    That spec is fine, though the flexibility comes from the points in King of the Jungle, Blood in the Water and Stampede.

I personally don't like Stampede and KotJ is ok, but not brilliant, so I would take 2 points (1 off each) and put them in Brutal Impact. Skull Bash has been very useful in dungeons and raids and will only get more useful in Cata. Also any stun is good damage mitigation when timed right, particularly on casters or melee with special moves.

Blood in the Water...........saves you having to refresh your 5CP's I guess, but you'll only notice a benefit from this on raid bosses as normal bosses won't last much longer on 25% anyway. That's assuming the boss is even standing still. If he has a weird phase where he leaps about or flys away, BinW is useless.

Predatory Strikes, I agree, don't take it. I've yet to see a useful spell that the 2nd part of that ability would be useful for.
    Last edited by mmoc691ab5818d; 2010-11-26 at 11:04 AM.

You guys can stop posting what you think would be a good hybrid spec. The OP somehow was led to believe he couldn't have a tanking spec and a kitty DPS spec as each of his dual specs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

I would probably say you could be a good DPS and an emergency OT. This would ofc mean you take a feral DPS spec with thick hide, you would be able to jump into bear if a tank goes down and maybe help finsh it off with good healing and CD's.

As for the reverse...I dont think its as viable although in theory it might work. Probably besat to go with my top option and call yourself a kitty with the ability to OT

Deleted
    True, but I'm interested in what people would put as a hybrid spec! :-)