Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Depends, are you looking for PVP, or PVE?

Big thanks to Safhira for my Signature!
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/llane/Gog…

Lets make an overview

Belf
    AT: a minor amount of mana on a 2 min CD which lines up with the gem CD. Oh and a 3 second silence.
    Magical resistance: a sad nerf happened to belfs. From 2% to miss on all schools of magic, to some arcane resistance. Somewhat useful vs other mages and moonkins who're not spellpen capped.
    Arcane affinity: useless outside leveling enchanting.

Troll
    Berserking: 20% haste on a 3 minute CD. A nice CD to pop in PvP and PvE and scales with your gear. The more haste rating you have, the better this is.
    Beast slaying: Useful while lvl'ing, more often than not useless in raiding.
    Bow/throwing spec: useless
    Da voodoo shuffle: 15% less duration on snares and roots. Roots should often be blinked and it's kinda useless vs spammable snares, but it never hurts
    Regeneration: You probably won't notice this

Orc:
    Axe spec: Useless
    Blood fury: nice CD, but doesn't scale.
    Command: Wowhead still states that it only increases damage of DK, hunter and lock pets. If this gets changed, it'll be a nice perk for frost mages
    Hardiness: lower stun duration. Useful if blink is on CD

Forsaken:
    Cannibalize: Can be used in combat which opens perspectives in PvP.
    Shadow res: useful vs non spellpen capped priests/locks.
    Underwater breathing: rarely useful
    Will of the forsaken: used to be better than it was. Now invokes a 45 second CD on your pvp trinket. Still useful in certain PvE fights

Goblin:
    Best deals anywhere: Will save you some gold, but not really useful in PvP or PvP
    Alchemy racial: useless outside leveling alchemy
    Pack Goblin: a bank for 1 minute on a 30 minute CD. Useful if you don't have the pony from AT or a jeeves from Engineering
    Rocket barrage: some nice instant damage, but shares a CD with the jump
    Rocket jump: blink on CD and something is too close to you? Jump away, but shares a CD with the rocket.
    Time is money: a permanent 1% haste. Doesn't increase burst as much as berserking or bloodfury, but it's a nice boost to overall damage

Or you can go for whatever race looks better.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

I don't want to plan my race around what spec of mage I end up being forced to play, but the Blood Elf mana return seems like it would be very strong for Arcane.

From a strictly PvE perspective, I suspect it will continue to be Trolls for the mini-lust. The fact that it can be synced with multiple CDs (especially the new Engineering gloves enchant and Arcane CDs) allows it to account for substantially larger of a DPS increase than the 1.1% Haste that it provides over the course of a 3 minute interval. Additionally, a 3 minute interval is the absolute worst case scenario - in a 2 minute situation, the uptime is higher, and in a 4 minute situation, it's higher.

I suppose depending on the effectiveness of the glove rockets, Goblins could be fairly close. Both are looking at something in the vicinity of ~1.5% DPS increases I suspect, although YMMV depending on the fight and your spec.

Orcs will likely be roughly even if you play Frost.

Overall though, pick the one you want to look at for the next two years. Proper play will make a hell of a lot more difference than your class, and unless you're a min/max, end game raider, the differences are negligible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pick whatever you like.

A friend of mine recently changed to Troll for the racial, but he said the minor dps increase wasn't worth it and changed back to a race that he liked to play.

It's a game afterall.

15+ Year Old Account
    Orc get a trinket that gives like 600 Spellpower at 85

Also 5% additional pet damage, which works both for water elemental and mirror images I guess.

Plus Orcs are full of win, their racials are just a bonus

I am sticking with female belf in first tier or two since it looks like we will have mana problems at start, later i will probably change to orc for blood fury and pet damage bonus (if they include water elemental).

10+ Year Old Account
    orc

Troll
    Haste cd which is awesome!
    Beast slaying, 5% more damage to beasts, icehowl anyone?
    Little know fact: Troll regen racial increase the health gained from food by 10%! being the only class with food in arena (and for our teammates) This is actually a decent bonus!

+20% haste; so trolls. For pvp I would say goblins though, because mage are just spamming instants anyway...

Troll or Orc for PvE if you raid.if your going for looks and you raid,then you dont look at the racial bonus that can benefit you and your guild,not to mention the fact that dps isnt everything,its the mechanics of the fight,if its a simple fight like ICC bosses then ya,but in catacylsm,people are going to get tested and be seperated by the good and bad players,its not going to be so simple anymore.Trolls get a 3min haste buff,20% casting speed.im not a number cruncher,orc gets you a damage buff,i havnt seen it yet but i wouldnt reroll for dmg,i would rather cast more spells faster then an extra increase of damage..that my opinion though,find a number cruncher and compare which is better in dps.
    Undead,goblin,Blood elf,and if they change the orc pet bonus then that,rocket jump will get you out of sticky situations,or if your on the move you can hit your rocket.Undead is for those warlocks or spriest that like to spam fear on ya,and of course you can eat corpses i believe,i dont know.If your frost(if they change orc pets) then a frost mages pet is like your other arm,you have to have it or it wont be all that good on ya.the blood elf arcane torrent is good for silencing people,get another silence and it could be a win for your team or yourself,not to include that if your out of mana,you could get 2-3 spells off or defensive spells.
    all i know from my experience PvP'ing.
    Last edited by Mystilis; 2010-11-27 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystilis View Post
    Troll or Orc for PvE if you raid.if your going for looks and you raid,then you dont look at the racial bonus that can benefit you and your guild,not to mention the fact that dps isnt everything,its the mechanics of the fight,if its a simple fight like ICC bosses then ya,but in catacylsm,people are going to get tested and be seperated by the good and bad players,its not going to be so simple anymore.Trolls get a 3min haste buff,20% casting speed.im not a number cruncher,orc gets you a damage buff,i havnt seen it yet but i wouldnt reroll for dmg,i would rather cast more spells faster then an extra increase of damage..that my opinion though,find a number cruncher and compare which is better in dps.
    Undead,goblin,Blood elf,and if they change the orc pet bonus then that,rocket jump will get you out of sticky situations,or if your on the move you can hit your rocket.Undead is for those warlocks or spriest that like to spam fear on ya,and of course you can eat corpses i believe,i dont know.If your frost(if they change orc pets) then a frost mages pet is like your other arm,you have to have it or it wont be all that good on ya.the blood elf arcane torrent is good for silencing people,get another silence and it could be a win for your team or yourself,not to include that if your out of mana,you could get 2-3 spells off or defensive spells.
    I feel like my mind has been the subject of newest "Will it blend" episode....

Quote Originally Posted by Mystilis View Post
    The whole bolded part makes absolutely no sense.First you say that its Troll or Orc for PvE,then you say that since fights will be more complex,dps isn't going to be everything,then you throw in some good ol'fashioned "Care for your guild,not you!" with the looks part.

Anyways for that matter,BElfs are not bad either.If you take arcane torrent at face value,its basically it lengthens your mana pool by 6% for every two minutes of average fight time.That's not too shabby especially if we're talking Arcane.It's also great for PvP.So if you plan to do both PvE and PvP Blood Elves are deffinetely on the table as a choice.They also look the best as a mage than any other race.

Pick what you like to look at tbh,you'll be doing your guild a disservice if you pick only according to racials and end up hating the character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd View Post
    Undead are cool as fuck, especially in tier 11. Fuck racials, undead 4 life.
    Yeah man undead fo' life!

But the goblin racials.....so good...need 1% haste.......

So, undead for looks imo (male), goblin with their racial and 1% passive increased attack speed + +
    Assistant (to the) Regional Manager.

You ask yourself "Do clothies wearing insanely giant shoulder models look awesome?". You answer yourself with a yes. You then proceed to choose orc.

15+ Year Old Account
    In the cookie jar. Stay The F*ck Away From It.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarrd View Post
    Fuck racials, undead 4 life.
    Word
    Abandon all hope to humanity and you won't be disappointed in random LFGs.

My Rogue

And waay too many alts

10+ Year Old Account
    What you like to play, not racials Blizzard likes to play around with.
    Start trying to work out who deserves what, and before long you’ll spend the rest of your days weeping for each and every person in the world.

Deleted
    I'd say Troll for the racial. Undead is still the most badass class for rogue and mage

10+ Year Old Account
    i would think troll because they have the haste boost.