Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I agree that the name Kraka is a bit unfortunate.

For anyone that doesn't understand, in the USA (not sure about elsewhere), "cracker" is a slang, derrogatory term for a caucasion (white) person. It is offensive and inappropriate to use... so Kraka sounds a lot like "cracker," and could bother some people. And the fact that the brownish orc may be symbolizing someone of African-American descent makes it even more controversial.
    Last edited by Taigen; 2010-11-25 at 06:01 AM.

just another example of some idiot making a big deal of nothing.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JeKv View Post
    Looking for controversy where none exists.

See: Worgen/negroW
    this

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    To clarify, I think OP is confused. OP is referencing the fact that "Cracker" is a rarely used, and generally laughable racial slur directed at white people. It was widely used as a rebuttal to the "n-word" during the 1950s-80s. To say it is barely used now is an understatement. I have never heard it actually used in my life.

For a "brown-skinned" Mag'har orc to be named "Kraka" is in no way racist. As JeKV posted, it is looking for controversy that doesn't exist (as w/ the worgen example).
    Last edited by Zuldain; 2010-11-25 at 05:58 AM. Reason: typo.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Really ?

O wow

OP is stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    When someone looks for controversy, they usually find it.

However interesting, this still shouldn't be a big deal. Sorry . . .

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol it's really not worth the fuss, I don't understand why anyone would take offence to this

cracker is slang for a white person >.> i see nothing wrong here.

---------- Post added 2010-11-25 at 06:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Velandia View Post
    In the Nordic Sagas, Kraka (770-842) was a wise and resourceful woman. Kraka (or Áslaug as was her real name) was the daughter of the Danish Viking chief, Sigurd Fafnesbane and Brynhild, one of the Valkyries, but she was brought up in a poor Norwegian family. According to legend, Kraka had to solve a difficult riddle before she could meet the Viking chief, Regnar Lodbrog, who she would later marry. She was instructed to appear before him "neither clothed nor naked, neither eating nor fasting, and neither alone nor accompanied by anyone." Kraka solved the riddle by covering herself in her long hair fastened by a fishing net. She bit into an onion, not considered to be food to show she was not fasting. Then she made a dog accompany her.

This post says it all.
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

An oversight if anything... Kraka sounds like just about any other generic Orc NPC name.

Meanwhile in trade chat there are people talking crap about jews and blacks...
    "Arthas attacked our capitals, let's go kill him!"
    "Wait, a dragon! Let's go kill it."
    "Ok, back to Arth-"
    "Look, an old god! Let's get him!"
    "Alright, now back to Arth-"
    "Oh, Tirion's having a carnival!"
    "Alright, now we'll go kill Arthas."
    "Yay, Arthas is dead!"

Quote Originally Posted by Taigen View Post
    I agree that the name Kraka is a bit unfortunate.

For anyone that doesn't understand, in the USA (not sure about elsewhere), "cracker" is a slang, derrogatory term for a caucasion (white) person. It is offensive and inappropriate to use... so Kraka sounds a lot like "cracker," and could bother some people. And the fact that the brownish orc may be symbolizing someone of African-American decent makes it even more controvercial.
    Either this is the worst case of trolling ii have ever experienced (having to explain what your post meant) or is someone truely held belief and i think blizz should just delete their account for being totally obsessed with Racism.
    you wanna say a term that very few people even know the use for is offensive or controversial and even looking at the clour of a ****ing pixel character and deciding it denotes an ethnicity which deserves a label is a sure sign of an obsessive, unstable mind which *tinfoil hats on* finds controversy in the fact they have a white baby on baby food bottles.

10+ Year Old Account
    i opened a ticket about Spanks the monkey. i feel like blizzard assumes i spank mine all the time.. and i do but now i feel like theyre watchin me

BTW: "Cracker" is not how you pronounce the word "Kraka". It's nordic origin leads to the assumption that it's spoken similar to the "Kraken", y'know, the mythological being. [Thóugh, admittedly, the Kraken does not have all that much to do with Nordic mythology... just that it's also from Europe and the very little knowledge of nordic language that I have leads me to assume that it's pronounced this way.]

And Kraka from Kraken really doesn't sound anything like Cracker.
    But then again, the "New Tigger" is offensive aswell. Y'know, since the "ew" and the "T" are all silent. Yep, that's how you pronounce it. Definitely.

i think you think its pronounced cracka (racist for cracker or white ppl). i think its meant to be pronounced kra ka with a long a sound seeing that sounds more orcish. either way im an irish american and i dont find it offensive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nailbomb View Post
    i opened a ticket about Spanks the monkey. i feel like blizzard assumes i spank mine all the time.. and i do but now i feel like theyre watchin me
    lol, thinking of making this my sig
    If people criticized the Bible as much as they criticize WOW we'd all be atheists.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont get it.. Why do people always try to twist and turn stuff into something that it's clearly not?

OT. Kraka sounds pretty damn orcish to me.

To be honest I believe this issue is that large of a concern... Such as Worgen spelled backwards became an issue and eventually a failed lawsuit against Blizzard Entertainment. I believe if someone is honestly truly offended by such a name and believe its an intentional racist joke then maybe they should change it.

One thing to remember is that each character has a background story in this game. A racial slur should not be thrown around just because you believe the name looked bad. Although as stated above most people who find words racist are indeed racist themselves because you in fact too offense to something not knowing the intention or truths. I believe you are wasting your time by petitioning a ticket to Blizzard. If anything they'll tell you to go to the forum if you have a true problem but do expect them to back up why that characters name is Kraka and who he is.

This bulletin is unfortunately a big waste of time on your part. The argument has no valid potential.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNTH3T1K View Post
    To be honest I believe this issue is that large of a concern... Such as Worgen spelled backwards became an issue and eventually a failed lawsuit against Blizzard Entertainment. I believe if someone is honestly truly offended by such a name and believe its an intentional racist joke then maybe they should change it.

One thing to remember is that each character has a background story in this game. A racial slur should not be thrown around just because you believe the name looked bad. Although as stated above most people who find words racist are indeed racist themselves because you in fact too offense to something not knowing the intention or truths. I believe you are wasting your time by petitioning a ticket to Blizzard. If anything they'll tell you to go to the forum if you have a true problem but do expect them to back up why that characters name is Kraka and who he is.

This bulletin is unfortunately a big waste of time on your part. The argument has no valid potential.
    If we changed everything that people could possibly get offended by, we'd have NPC #55, NPC #96 and NPC #4 as our auctioneers.

Stop focusing on race you damn racists, yea you heard me. If you support the removal of Kraka, you're a racist.

Another sad case of over-sensitivity leading to people wanting to reach in with the long arm of political correctness where it is thoroughly unnecessary. I highly doubt this was some intentional racist joke on Blizzard's part. Kraka sounding like or referencing a racial epithet was probably nowhere near their galaxy of thinking....and even if it was, I would have to believe it's meant in a harmless spirit of fun. In any case it's nothing worth taking so seriously. Look at it, laugh (or don't), and move on in either case. If you don't like it, ignore it. And there you have it. Good, simple nonviolent protest and we're done. Not worth making a huge case over.

I call troll, no one is that concerned.
    When everything else fails...Open a wormhole and GTFO.
    "Never argue with trolls...They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."