Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The southernmost capital city in the world, NZ

Question The MIA of Cataclysm

Having ventured round some of the Cataclysm-ed areas of the old world, it's no surprise many of the NPCs have seen better days.

However, does anyone else find it mildly unsettling to find certain NPCs you've known well vanishing without a trace or an obvious explanation - bringing to mind the Chuck Cunningham syndrome?

Just to name a few:

- Archmage Ansirem Runeweaver - previous leader of the Kirin Tor, rebuilder of Dalaran, and author of various Schools of Arcane Magic and other books. No sign of him near the Crater or in Dalaran itself, only Relios the Relic Keeper (objective of a Horde quest). His daughter Catelyn is still in Booty Bay.
    - Shay Leafrunner and Rockbiter - a fun side quest involving these 2 (sadly no longer available). Rockbiter's campfire is still burning but the camp is deserted. No sign of Shay anywhere in the nearby ruins either.
    - Gubber Blump - fished near the Auberrdine docks. No sign of him, but not confirmed dead either. No mention of him in the quest The Last Wave of Survivors.
    - Fiora Longears - former quest giver in the Auberdine docks. Presumed lost at sea in the Cataclysm, and not at her original location in Theramore. No mention of her in the quest The Last Wave of Survivors.
    - Aurora Skycaller & Kriss Goldenlight - part of the original Zin'Malor quest chain, which has now been removed. The nearby elves at Quel'lithien Lodge turned wretched, but no obvious sign of these 2 suffering the same curse. Their equipment has vanished too.
    - Captain Vanessa Beltis & the Horizon Scout crew - shipwreck still there, but the crew have vanished. In fairness, it was off the beaten track for most players, and felt unfinished. Probably intended to be like Faldir's Cove.

----UPDATE----

- Jabbey & Gikkix in Steamwheedle Port. WoWHead posters have confirmed them missing.
    - Brother Anton - no longer required for Bros Before Ho Ho Hos achievement. Also the quest from Brother Crowley (still in Cathedral basement) to meet him has also been removed.
    - Argent Dawn members Jessica Redpath & Gregor Greystone in Everlook. The Sister Pamela quest from her has been removed.
    - Torta & Tooga - apparently confirmed removed by a Blizz GM.
    - Arko'narin - liked the nod to Wonder Woman in that quest chain. Cage is now empty (but still invokes the Use icon), as is Trey's torture table. Nowhere else in Felwood, or Darnassus (where she claimed to be heading after finishing the quest). Jessir Moonbow's flavour quote is still the same, but that's probably an oversight.
    - Braelyn Firehand - member of the Shadow Council and one of the nastiest chars in game. There really should have been a quest to chop her head off before she vanished.
    - Linken - obvious nod to the Legend of Zelda. Larion & Muigin are still in Un'Goro, in the two guard towers.

Any other examples, feel free to add.
    Last edited by deepred; 2010-11-30 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Updates as requested by a forum poster.

Nice list.

I wouldn't use the term "mildly unsettling" myself, picture yourself as a character right after the Cataclysm. Running around in sheer terror trying to find out what happened to your loved ones would probably be the first priority. Somehow I doubt the disappearance of Shay leafrunner would even register; after all the upheavals you'd be surprised if anyone was still where you last saw them.

Where is Gubber Blump? His fishing pole was the best.
    The past is gone, now is all there is.

Enjoy reading reviews on video games and other fun stuff? Check out my site Updated when I have time!
    http://snipersedge.blogspot.com

Jabbey and Gikkix from Steamwheedle Port. These were the only sources for some recipes, including Undermine Clam Chowder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by K7Sniper View Post
    Where is Gubber Blump? His fishing pole was the best.
    Unless it's a typo, has anyone also noticed his location pointer on WoWHead is out to sea?

Deleted
    His pointer is in two spots... maybe deathwing ripped him apart and he's in both bits...

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like the out-to-sea location of Gubber is a typo... it's well within the fatigue zone. Unless it's some kind of easter egg.

Deleted
    I will miss Gubber Plump

10+ Year Old Account
    More MIA's:

- Brother Anton: the Bros Before Ho Ho Ho's achievement no longer requires him. Strangely enough, his colleague Brother Crowley is still in the Cathedral basement. None of the quests seem to mention his death or disappearance so far. Then again, the Scarlets are now a shadow of their former self.
    - The Argent Dawn NPC's in Everlook. Unless they've returned to the Plaguelands.
    Last edited by deepred; 2010-11-27 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deepred View Post
    However, does anyone else find it mildly unsettling to find certain NPCs you've known well vanishing without a trace or an obvious explanation - bringing to mind the Chuck Cunningham syndrome?
    Obvious Explanation? The world was broken by a giant dragon.

10+ Year Old Account

I miss Tigole.
    Congratulations, your mind has been expanded.

Deleted
    Could you update the first post with the new ones?

10+ Year Old Account
    Added Arko'narin, as well as missing NPC links.

I hope the 3 high elves will reappear somewhere

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurluas View Post
    I hope the 3 high elves will reappear somewhere
    I'm not too hopeful, given all the quests involving them have officially been removed. Nowhere to be seen, but no one's confirmed them dead either.

Update: Also, the Wandering Shay quests have been removed too.

RIP, Auctioneer Grimful

Arko'narin - liked the nod to Wonder Woman in that quest chain. Cage is now empty (but still invokes the Use icon), as is Trey's torture table. Nowhere else in Felwood, or Darnassus (where she claimed to be heading after finishing the quest). Jessir Moonbow's flavour quote is still the same, but that's probably an oversight.
    Aww, not Arko'narin. I always did her quest when leveling a new char(felwood was one of the zones I "liked" to do).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    RIP, Auctioneer Grimful
    If I'm not much mistaken, he's quit the auction house to take up arms.

---------- Post added 2010-11-29 at 12:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zhabin View Post
    Aww, not Arko'narin. I always did her quest when leveling a new char(felwood was one of the zones I "liked" to do).
    And the Shay Leafrunner quests had some amusing nods to the Neverending Story.

If I'm not much mistaken, he's quit the auction house to take up arms.
    Oh awesome, thought my favourite auctioneer was gone forever :P