15+ Year Old Account
    In the cookie jar. Stay The F*ck Away From It.

Warlock or Mage DPS?

Does anyone know which class will be puling more DPS in Cataclysm (85)?
    I'm Rerolling
    Abandon all hope to humanity and you won't be disappointed in random LFGs.

My Rogue

And waay too many alts

Currently mages are pretty low DPS at 85, but in a couple of months they will likely be equal.

Warlock & mage relative DPS has always fluctuated back and forth, so you want to pick one that's always ahead, you will be disappointed.

15+ Year Old Account
    In the cookie jar. Stay The F*ck Away From It.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickspoon View Post
    Warlock & mage relative DPS has always fluctuated back and forth
    K Thanks for clearing that up stating Lock then I guess
    Abandon all hope to humanity and you won't be disappointed in random LFGs.

My Rogue

And waay too many alts

mage after the 12% dps nerf in locks..

Deleted
    Either way it shouldn't matter, you should be looking for a class that you enjoy, not one that will be doing slightly more damage

Quote Originally Posted by Vexxuss View Post
    Either way it shouldn't matter, you should be looking for a class that you enjoy, not one that will be doing slightly more damage
    Correct, especially since different patches, different instances, and different loot will seesaw one or the other into the higher position for a time frame. You can't really go wrong with either, both are safe calls. If lock is on top now, mage will be on top later, and so on and so forth.
    Top 100.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tilatequila View Post
    mage after the 12% dps nerf in locks..
    Thats the damage now, since latest patch. What Vlapport means is the damage at lvl 85.

Anyways, Mage is simply the best, no matter what diffrence on damage they will do at lvl 85.

* free food
    * free portals
    * no hassling with pets

He's right, mage is the easier way to go and the easier class to play if that is what you are looking for.

But you mentioned which does more dps, and the answer is they seesaw for the most part.
    Top 100.

Deleted
    you want big numbers and very easy to play = mage.

you want lower numbers but harder to play = warlock

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    you want big numbers and very easy to play = mage.

you want lower numbers but harder to play = warlock
    Warlock's can be difficult to play and Mage's are super easy but that does not mean the numbers will always be lower.
    ”I've walked the realms of the dead. I have seen the infinite dark. Nothing you say. Or do. Could possibly frighten me."-Sylvanas Windrunner

15+ Year Old Account
    Aff Warlock > Any Mage spec (imho)

I have both
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got a destro lock and a fire (formerly arcane) mage and I have to tell you the lock atm is a lot more fun to play, even destro has more complexity than fire which is the "complicated rotation" mage spec

I've always viewed lock as the harder and/or more skillful class to play over the 2 solely because of the pet factor. You have to micromanage, especially in pvp (stomping totems anyone?) but I guess that can be said for frost mages too now having theirs out full time. Still, it's like playing starcraft.
    Top 100.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nheo View Post
    Anyways, Mage is simply the best, no matter what diffrence on damage they will do at lvl 85.
    You take your wussy ice blocking blinking frost nova ass and go back to the Mage forums, before you find yourself eaten by a Felhunter while your flesh rots right off.

You wanna be a goody two shoes? Go mage like the one above me. Wanna be an evil mastermind that brings pain and ruin to all? Warlock is the ticket to that. DPS changes patch to patch, but style... style Warlock > ALL.

The stars sweep chill currents that make men shiver in the dark...

Quote Originally Posted by Zoots View Post
    You take your wussy ice blocking blinking frost nova ass and go back to the Mage forums, before you find yourself eaten by a Felhunter while your flesh rots right off.

You wanna be a goody two shoes? Go mage like the one above me. Wanna be an evil mastermind that brings pain and ruin to all? Warlock is the ticket to that. DPS changes patch to patch, but style... style Warlock > ALL.
    Says the gnome female.

It had to be said.

I highly doubt that the dps difference that depends solely on Blizzard design (assuming same skill and gear with both mage and lock) will make you want to play one or the other. Choose the playstyle, not the numbers. Just my 2 cents.

Actually, with the changes to the Frost Tree, you now have the choice to be a Pet Class or not. Water Elemental is sure lots of fun to play around, and if you rather burn things than running around with a Pet then you can go Fire too.

As a warlock, you are always dependent on your pet, such as abilities, buffs, or procs. With Water Elemental, you can control the proc, and you can leave the pet behind with a different spec too.

Arcane as of now has very high risk high reward type of play, and that is the most sugar coating I can do for the mana management Mastery. Is it a nice mechanic? Yes. But still you are very, very limited with the buttons you will be pressing which is a bummer for me but perhaps not for you.
    "So, he sent a succubus to seduce you, and lure you down to his side. And yet, first thing you do is to check her ass? Ah, kid, you've got much to learn.."