10+ Year Old Account
    I was running various programs off of a ram disk for awhile, but went to bed without saving anything, per normal. I came back and my computer had restarted it's self to install updates. D:

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I was running various programs off of a ram disk for awhile, but went to bed without saving anything, per normal. I came back and my computer had restarted it's self to install updates. D:
    You should set it to not install updates automatically. :P Have it download them ahead of time, but you decide when to install them.

In general topic: I got Windows 7 Pro 64 bit amongst many other free Microsoft software installations through college the other day and I'm thinking, when RAM drops more in price, like where 8GB modules are cheaper, I'll have to buy 4 so I can have 32GB. Doing lots of work now with Virtual machines and I'll be toying with Linux more now in a virtual machine. Waiting on the email from VMWare for free Workstation but for now I have XP SP3 installed on a Microsoft virtual PC. It's pretty damn awesome. Playing all my old favorite classic games.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2012-01-22 at 09:30 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Current setup, although with this I cant do 25 mans, even with lowest graphics settings. Lol. Used to be fine for BC 25 raiding .

40'' Sony Bravia (DVI - VGA)(1280x768)
    Logitech Bluetooth keyboard (I forget the model, but its battery still lasts about 2 weeks with solid 8 hours a day use)
    Logitech MX revolution Mouse (again, highly reliable mouse and recharge station, the mouse lasts typically 3 days until I need another overnight charge).
    Bose Cinemate 2.1 system. Lush sounds =).

Core system:

Antec 1200 Case w/stock fans (5x90mm fans - 2 rear 3 front, 1x 150mm fan in the top_

Gigabyte GA-MA 770-DS3, 1066, HT3.0, AM2+

4GB Corsair XMS (4x1GB) (although WinXP32bit only see's 3 of it -.-)

Zalman cooler (the big circular copper one, I forget the model)

AMD Phenom quad core, 2.6Ghz. (I got one of the original, although its pretty crap)

Point of View Nvidia 8800GTX 768MB (2x DVI)

Storage:

1 x WD Raptor 500Gb

Dvd RW Drive.

I recently got myself a 64Gb SSD.......Think I did my graphics in though cz now I get no screen response, lol.

So I decided to upgrade the rest of it in one go, Arriving Tuesday are:

Asus M5A88-M 880G

AMD FX4100 3.6Ghz quad core (3.8Ghz under pre clock settings - Can OC to 4.8Ghz with air cooling and no change in the voltage) I will play with it I think :P.

8Gb Corsair 1866 (2x4).

Now the MB has Radeon HD4250 on board graphics, which, effectively is un noticeable difference to my current 8800GTX, but the MB does provide it with up to 1024MB of the Ram, which will provide more then my current one. Plus it sits on HDMI on board connections, which is nice . Ive also got myself 64bit Windows 7.

I am looking to downsize the case though, and possibly change the heatsink to something quieter and cooler. Any suggestions? For both case and heatsink .

In a couple of months im looking at getting a 50PZ550T LG 50'' Plasma......

Any hints and tips are welcome

Halatosis

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why you bought an FX4100.... Bulldozer isn't too amazing in gaming. Was it budget or you didn't want Intel or what? I would have suggested something more along the lines of the i5-2500K.
    "A flower.

Well, even if it was budget I would have spent time trying to find a Phenom II instead. o_o; But that's not always possible anymore. Honestly, I'd say that even budget folks should look to the i3 2100 now if the Phenom II are unavailable or just expensive, given how rubbish the Fx series are.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-01-22 at 10:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    what you do with 32GB of ram when you are bored:
    That is sweet.

Might acturally try it someday XD
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    If you have $40 lying around then get some more RAM. It's so damn cheap nowadays it's like chump change. :P
    Get modules on sale, usually pairings are on sale on Newegg and NCIX every single week, though single sticks are still pretty expensive at 60-100 bucks a pop for 1600Mhz memory.

CPU : Amd quad core Zambezi auto-OC'd to 4.5 Ghz
    Cooler: stock (amazingly i dont go above 50 c load)
    GPU : xfx 2gb 6870
    Memory : 8gb g.skill sniper 1600
    Sound : Onboard
    Monitor : LG 23" HD Monitor
    Mouse : LG G5
    Keyboard : Razor Lycosa
    Motherboard : Asus sabertooth 990fx
    Case : Nzxt Phantom +1 200mm fan
    Power Supply : 600w Corsair psu
    Hard Drives : 320gb

Deleted
    Yeh I went for it as budget, the I5-2500k is almost double the price fyi......and the I3 afaik isn't as good as the FX4100. I am aware that Bulldozer wasnt what it was expected to be, but I like AMD and it cant be that bad......all I want is budget that will perform well and be fairly future proof.

Halatosis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Get modules on sale, usually pairings are on sale on Newegg and NCIX every single week, though single sticks are still pretty expensive at 60-100 bucks a pop for 1600Mhz memory.
    I need to have a real steady income again before I even start to plan it. That should give 8GB modules some time to drop in price, anyways.

---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 10:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    ROFL holy hell, $3,000!!! XD
    "A flower.

Quote Originally Posted by Halatosis View Post
    Yeh I went for it as budget, the I5-2500k is almost double the price fyi......and the I3 afaik isn't as good as the FX4100. I am aware that Bulldozer wasnt what it was expected to be, but I like AMD and it cant be that bad......all I want is budget that will perform well and be fairly future proof.

Halatosis
    The i3 2100 features a sharply better per core performance. The differences particularly showed in WoW, where it was running circles around the AMD ones. (With possible exception of the 1100T? I don't recall particularly.) And that was the Phenom II series. The Fx series were worse than the Phenom II, particularly in per-core performance.

In other words, for WoW in particular? The item you've ordered is absolute waste of space imo. >>;

Deleted
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...4100+Quad-Core

According to this, its not far off those which are a hell of a lot more expensive......

10+ Year Old Account
    The FX series also uses a lot more power than the i5-2500K for instance, and when you overclock it, it only gets worse. On top of that, where the FX4100 is more or less a fake quad core, (2 mini-cores don't equal 2 real cores, especially when they can together hardly do what a single Intel core can do) the i5-2500K is a true quad core and behaves as such, plus is also a better overclocker last I checked. Yes so the FX4100 is higher on the priceerformance chart, however the 2500K on the other chart is not far from twice the CPU Passmark scores of the FX4100.... So in essence, I would call the FX4100 a dual core, as fellow dual core (or fake quad cores like the i3-2100) are the only CPUs it can honestly compete with on the charts for actual performance.

Honestly instead of paying $110 for a FX4100, I would have shelled out the extra $15 for one of these:

Phenom II x4 955 BE

and considering your older motherboard probably supports the Phenom II, you could have gone for an even higher ranked Phenom II...
    "A flower.

Passmark's network of sites is hardly much to look at. There's no uniformity to the testing devices. While one could've possibly argued that it weights itself out in the end there's easily possibility for ridiculous bias, or for products to land far down despite clearly not belonging there.

As an example, they don't have HD 7970 listed at all here. Worse yet, the GTX 580 there has a higher score than the GTX 590? What the f-?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I need to have a real steady income again before I even start to plan it. That should give 8GB modules some time to drop in price, anyways.

---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 10:44 PM ----------

ROFL holy hell, $3,000!!! XD
    Yeah, but you also need a motherboard with 8 RAM slots to use that, which seems rather pointless since no one is ever going optimize that amount of memories.

Deleted
    So basically, I'm waking up early in the morning and cancelling the processor before its picked and despatched, lol.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-...s-am3)-x6-core

How do any of these fair up to the AMD x4 955 BE?

Halatosis

---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 11:55 PM ----------

Oh, and Im getting the new MB anyways, cz Im downsizing the case and need one with a working PCI-e slot xD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but you also need a motherboard with 8 RAM slots to use that, which seems rather pointless since no one is ever going optimize that amount of memories.
    ... I was talking about 4x8GB RAM modules. I was just laughing at the link Fuzzykins gave to Cyanotical....

---------- Post added 2012-01-23 at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Halatosis View Post
    So basically, I'm waking up early in the morning and cancelling the processor before its picked and despatched, lol.

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-...s-am3)-x6-core

How do any of these fair up to the AMD x4 955 BE?

Halatosis

---------- Post added 2012-01-22 at 11:55 PM ----------

Oh, and Im getting the new MB anyways, cz Im downsizing the case and need one with a working PCI-e slot xD.
    If you can I'd definitely suggest getting a Phenom II x6.
    "A flower.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147

Just go through that and find what you consider satisfying. Realize the numbers are done in a fairly boring environment though. The benches can't hold a candle to a 25man raid after all. The link above says 63.8 fps, but on the other hand the i3 2100 says 94.1 fps. o_O;

---------- Post added 2012-01-23 at 01:43 AM ----------

That said, I think we drifted offtopic from your question. O_o;

Personally, the cooler you get with the CPU is fair enough for the time being, imo. It'd be a bigger deal to get a worthwhile graphics card. What are you planning to use the computer for anyway, and what sort of budget are you on, etc?

10+ Year Old Account
    you can put 4x 8gb in a 1155 board for 32gb total, i would not advise it though, as you would need a non home edition win7, and most 1155 boards are not certified for more then 16gb of ram

and i was seriously looking at that 64gb kit, but 32 is enough to ramdisk WoW, which means its enough fro just about any other game, and even most large video files, and even makes a good spot to store files to encrypt them, but 32gb was $380, versus, $3000 for 64gb, and personally im a little biased towards mushkin

the only reason i would see needing more then 32gb is if you want a fully decked out SR-X with 96GB, but from what ive been reading on the E5 xeons, only the most hevily threaded applications will show an improvement on them, unlike the SR-2/dual 5690's which matched the x58/990x in games, i dont think the SR-X with dual E5's will be able to match even a 2500k for gaming, let alone a 3960x, meaning that the dual socket boards are no longer the king of computers,

but you could make a dual 8core computer at 3Ghz with 96GB of ram, (which is close in spec to the VMware servers i build) and have a 64GB ramdisk, with 4 SSD's in RAID0 for saving and loading into the ramdisk, with 32 threads available, and 32GB of usable ram, it would make a monster workstation, but fall behind in gaming