Is my GPU dying?

Hey, I've been having so many problems with my rig recently that I'm just gonna replace the whole thing. Anyways, I'm trying to find out if my GPU is going bad -- it's only about 6 months old. It is a MSi Twin Frozr GTX 260. It is a pretty large card for my 6 year old 610i motherboard with no PCI 2.0 slots, and it sort of brushes against my soundcard in the compact space. Anyways, during games, I'll occasionally get a black screen for a few seconds - maybe 1-4 seconds, then everything will go back to normal. Additionally, sometimes the display will go black, only to have everything distorted in color and have artifacts stretching across the screen for a minute or so. Should I try to send the card in for repairs or get another, or is there nothing with the card at all? It stays cool at around 37-49 degrees Celcius.

Hello.

First the Black screens can usually be tied to a Driver Crash. But for it to come back with Distorted Color and Artifacts is just strange, I personally have never seen that happen.

Artifacts are usually tied to 3 possible problems.
    1. Under or Over Voltage of the GPU can cause it to run poor and have problems in the long run.
    2. OC the GPU to non-stable Settings can cause this problem either in short or long term scenario's.
    3. A Bad Mobo can cause the above two problems, which in turn can ruin everything else on your PC. It isn't relying the correct Voltage/Settings throughout your PC and could cause massive hardware problems.

You mentioned you have monitored and or do monitor your Temps of your GPU. Have you ever ran it around 70c+ for an extended Gaming Session? Im talking Hour's (roughly 4-6). Heat is the number one factor that will ruin a part, and or near by parts.

Personally Ive had my GTX 275 Get so hot for a long enough period of time that it ruined one of my SATA ports. Took me like 2 weeks to figure it out since I never unplugged ALL my SATA ports. It melted the inside plastic hold which doesnt allow the cord to keep contact; in turn giving me a fault HD.

Best Solution ATM - Open up the bad boy; De-Dust Her, Check all the Cords make sure there isn't any shorts/loose cords, and lastly if you have the time and patients.
    ^ If that doesn't work; try to find a friend who you can plug your GPU into his Board (only if it can handle the card though, don't wanna ruin someone else pc now ) See if it works. If it does, it may just be your Mobo. Also test your PSU, if you have another one or someone you know try a different PSU.

Unplug everything; including the RAM/GPU/Heatsink (only if you know how and can resurface it and re apply the paste ofc) and any other parts thay may be on your mobo.
    Look over the whole board for blown capacitors, and or scorch marks; if you don't know what either look like. Google it, plenty of images online.

Honestly most of this stuff is trail and error. Yea people will go WELL If it ARTIFACTS your GPU is just BAD end of story, not true. I can OC my GPU and make it artifact in about 3 seconds. But Hey, Im just trying to save you some money.

Hope it helps, GL Zoroash.
    Regards -- r3volt.

Thanks r3volt. I'm thinking it might be the mobo.

NP, keep us updated. Id like to hear if ya figure it out.