Thread: Skype Addon

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Skype Addon

Hello, fellow MMO-Champs!

I need your help right now!

So i was thinking today and i tought it was so annoying to tab down wow to like chat on skype and then i was like: Skype chat in the wow chat = Awesome!
    Anyone think it is possible to make this, and if so try to make it?

Thx in advice.

Not possible.

You basically have to have a third party program that can provide an OpenGL overlay of somekind.

I actually wanted something similar for MSN messenger.

However, I believe they violate the WoW ToU, as it allows communication in the game that isn't monitored (voice chat isn't monitored, but it's also not text), and potentially allows for Cross-Faction communication (even though Real ID does). The rules I remember were before Real ID. >_>

15+ Year Old Account
    The biggest problem I see with this is the fact that Skype uses a closed source protocol both for their VoIP and IMing services. This would mean that you would have to have Skype running in the background and get WoW to interface with it somehow, which in turn violates the terms of service if I'm not mistaken. A similar thing has been done with some Linux based IMing clients, but to do it with the WoW client seems tricky...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
    I actually wanted something similar for MSN messenger.

However, I believe they violate the WoW ToU, as it allows communication in the game that isn't monitored (voice chat isn't monitored, but it's also not text), and potentially allows for Cross-Faction communication (even though Real ID does). The rules I remember were before Real ID. >_>
    blizzard wanted to forbid the use of vent, ts, skype and so on. but they gave up back in vanilla (skype wasnt even out then). It wasnt just about text based communication if I recall correctly.

OT: there isnt an addon that does that for skype Im afraid. technically its possible but I dont think anybody will do it

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by karate99 View Post
    Hello, fellow MMO-Champs!

I need your help right now!

So i was thinking today and i tought it was so annoying to tab down wow to like chat on skype and then i was like: Skype chat in the wow chat = Awesome!
    Anyone think it is possible to make this, and if so try to make it?

Thx in advice.
    Just use in-game voice com trol-lol

Seriously though I would want that aswell for TS, VT, Skype, Messenger, facebook chat even ^^

Then again, thats why I run with 2 LCD-screens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Leothas View Post
    Just use in-game voice com trol-lol

Seriously though I would want that aswell for TS, VT, Skype, Messenger, facebook chat even ^^

Then again, thats why I run with 2 LCD-screens.
    Does this look like a troll post for you? It's just a legit question. And i wanted it to chat with my contacts on skype, i know i can have a skype call up while playing wow.

Deleted
    Addons cannot communicate with anything outside the game without a reload of the UI. So, unless you want to reload the UI every time you type something, not possible.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    And reload your UI every time you want to check for incoming messages, too.

The only addon that's ever done something like this was WoWTweets, if I remember right.

Reloading the UI forces the saved variables to be written to disk, which is why it allows a communication of sorts, allbeit a long winded and impractical one for most intents.
    That is the only way to get information in or out of the game via a 3rd party tool unless blizzard decide otherwise, such as the support for the logitech g15 keyboard.

Deleted
    Well in windowed mode and using windows which stay always on top can be seen in the game, but they take place and i think usual skype window is a bit big for that method.

15+ Year Old Account
    addon comunication whit external tools would be awsome but its is sadly forbidden. yet i do think it is posable if you go down in the dark side of developemt.

i was thiknig of making an addon that lets you chat whit irc in wow but yeh it not gonig to work whout interface elaods witch is not worth it an relaod takes like 1 mniutes on my pc whit my number of addons lol

i am currently working on an ingame developer addon that will let you build wow addons ingame and then extractthem outside of the game whit an external tool. for this is does not matter if youhave to relaod becase ou should only extract the addon when its done :P
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

http://www.overwolf.com/

This will create an overlay on top of the game window and you can use it to chat and whatever without alt tabing. Just try and see if it works for you.

I think it would be incredible if there was a way to have Text Forwarding in game. So if a GF texts me during a raid, I can type back via the addon.
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2010-11-30 at 08:34 PM.

Our guild is using RaidCall at the moment. Seems to work very nicely. Also has a very cool overlay which lets you know who is talking plus a chat bubble that you can use while in Wow. Best of all it's free.
    - Schizophrenics have alts irl -
    "World of Warcraft is actually a very politically themed game, it's an indictment of European colonialism and American imperialism where you run around different lands killing people and looting all their shit"

15+ Year Old Account
    Rendering on top of a game is posable but i still doent think you can type back to the program and chat from ingame ?
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Steam does it with their games, xfire does something with overlays but im not sure if they're interactive and the developer snapshot of mumble(voip) allows you to control the full window through the overlay. So yeah it's possible.

Deleted
    It is NOT possible within the in-game addon engine. Third party tools can of course achieve this.

Why isnt it possible?
    They could do it with an overlay
    Steam can do it. Xfire can do it. Raptr can do it.
    If someone really wanted to they could, and I hope they will

---------- Post added 2012-08-25 at 11:05 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    It is NOT possible within the in-game addon engine. Third party tools can of course achieve this.
    Noticed this thread is 2 years old now, so since then

Do you or anyone know if there is any third party tools available to be able to text-chat inside WoW via Skype ?

Deleted
    Yeah mumble shows names too!