Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you playing WoW?
    I play wow mainly because it is a game I enjoy and can chat with others. Being a father and husband has limited a lot of the social things that I use to do. I have always played video games and will continue to do so as long as I can.

What Consequence's do you know about it?
    Anything can be addictive and wow is no different then any other vice in life, ie Alcohol, drugs etc. They all (minus the illegal items) have marketing departments that are geared to make you addicted. Warcraft is especially gifted and adding in aspects of the game and functionality that keep you wanting to play for long hours at a time. Playing this game can lead to very serious consequences such as poor health, poor hygiene, loss of friends, family, wife, husband etc, drop in grade and I would assume many others. Me personally, I would not let my child play any online game until they were 18 as I think their maturity level is not what it needs to be in order to know when to stop playing a video game. This is only for online games though as they have a lot more things that bother me over just normal games on the pc, xbox or ps3.

Have you seen anything changing about you when you started to play it? If yes. In what way and actions?
    A while back I noticed myself getting lazy and putting on a couple pounds. So now I only play when I can and not for long hours. I am the GM of a guild on Frostmane but my focus on making the game fun, nailing the content coming up without ruining our personal lives.

Why did you start playing WoW?
    I had never played an MMO and my buddy who played Everquest said I should try this so I did. I started playing back in 2005.

Magruber (Mark) - Eternal Vigilance on Frostmane PVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    just by the way. Classify it as a compulsion not an addiction. Although similiar in many ways an addiction builds a chemical dependecy whilst a compulsion just stimulates the one segment of your brain. You can die from not getting you fix of a drug if you got seriously addicted, but you will only get bored if you stop playing WoW suddenly without reason.
    Wrong.

An addiction is defined as a chemical dependency.

If you prefer a textbook definition...

"the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma."

Psychologically OR physically habit forming is the key take away.

You can be addicted to habits that have nothing to do with taking or ingesting drugs of any kind.