Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude Hero View Post
    People that don't loot confuse me. It's not even like there's any opportunity cost- you can't teleport to the auction house and sell some gems during that time frame.

The thought process must be the following: "I can either right click to get 2 gold, or not right click to get 0 gold. Man, having to right click is such a pain, I think I'll pass."

Maybe they never found the auto-loot option?
    Indeed!

Looting a mob takes less than half a second without travel time and about a second with average travel time included. The average value is probably some 50s, so the income from the action of looting already dead mobs ends up close to 2000g/h, and even more if it doesn't delay the pull (the time spent looting worth of your DPS as damage dealer and no opportunity cost at all if healer). The only excuse of not looting the mobs is to be a tank (the role that ends up dictating the pace) who reliably gets over 2000g/h from other sources, or having so much gold already that you'll never need to put any effort to getting more of it. My approximation of profit might be slightly wrong, feel free to give more accurate numbers.

I really wish that Greedygoblin-esque (or simply "rational") way of thinking about WoW-economy became as widespread as many other philosophies before it have in the community (such as "you have to read Elitistjerks to maximise your potential"). Goldsellers and "how to make gold" threads would almost completely die out, and player wealth and profit from different actions would level out so much.

15+ Year Old Account
    Out in the world 10 seconds is way too short. More like 2 minutes. You want it that bad, deal with it. In 2 minutes (or 10 seconds) you could just kill something else anyways.

It's a bonus when you get to skin someone else's mobs, not an affront when you don't.

In dungeons you could make more of a case for some way to skin everything. Might be nice if (in dungeons only) the skin was on the corpse if you're a skinner, and then all skinners in the party roll on it or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    With the comments on here it seems there are 2 options:

1) Decrease the time it takes to skin a mob.
    2) Make it so we can skin it and keep loot on it.

The mats that go into your leg armor kits come from those mobs you won't loot. Also, for mister "my bags are too full of other shit" up there, and more importantly if you ask me, is you don't have to actually pull the loot off the fucker, tag it, and move on.
    Cannot wait for the stiff slap in the face all you inconsiderate speed demons get in Cata when you have to actually plan out and mark trash pulls.
    "Derp Derp, I pulled only wun pack why am I died? Healer sux."
    I always loot. Always.

Blizzard has always accomodated skinners greatly, there were areas in the game filled with animals usually with a good respawntimer which allowed you to maximize your skinning and at the same time get grey loot, some ocasional greens and ofc. meat.

In Classic; actually i didnt skin in classic /pass
    In TBC, this was in nagrand, where the lumbering clefthoofs ran in great packs in the south, most of them tagged neutral as not to swamp you.
    In Wrath, once you did the Sons of Hodir questline, right outside the transformation zone with the valkyr like fighting women, there were paths of stampeding Mammoths and those Worms.
    In Cata, well as up yet, not known by me, but surely, there will be a zone like this, if not multiple zones.
    Sure bosses in dungeons usually had a higher chance to get the needed Furs, and perhaps this will stay that way, so for the bosses that can be skinned you can ask nicely, but trash is of the same level and meh, not worth the time to complain if they missed it.

I have the same problem OP. Fear not, with cata dungeons being harder people WILL need to take their time = more time to loot :>

Quote Originally Posted by Kichiro View Post
    its my loot to not loot :P
    on another note why not make it where skiners have the same problem enchanters have where we get to roll for your skin?
    I have an enchanter, and I like the service I provide automatically, still have to roll on greens like before, but my mailbox is a lot less full of greens from people wanting them broken. When they roll disenchant, they are not rollin on my mats, they are rolling on the green, and automatically getting the disenchant serivce, saving some other poor enchanters mail space lol

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're not looting in an Heroic, you're denying everyone 20% of the gold that comes up, 20% of the disenchant mats (if an enchanter in group), and 20% of the other gathering stuff.

I understand that you can make more money per hour from Alchemy gem transmutes or whatever, but you're in a dungeon now (so not transmuting), and if someone you're with needs the cash (may be just dinged max level on their first toon and needs enchantments), it's rude not to loot.

I have 3 level 80s. My main is Ench/Ta, but the 2 alts are Mining (with JC) and Herbalism (with Inscription). I always loot and I'll always gather. In addition to this my Warlock always tops the dps (except in a couple of fights due to mechanics), my shaman always tops the healing meters in ICC (except when I'm healing alongside my Guild Leader's main), and I'm NEVER bottom of the dps list on my DK.

I pull my weight and I grab the stuff as it *is* more time spent in a dungeon, but a reasonable trade-off in my opinion. One dungeon run probably pays for about 3 raid wipes. For a couple of seconds for every 5th mob in a dungeon. Skinners/herbalist feel free to take the other stuff, I'll be Seed Of Corruption-ing the next trash pack with the tank.

Tanks have no excuse either, I loot on all my tanks. Its actually easier, because you can loot during the current pull and be ready to move on instantly, looting my corpses I still managed sub 10minute heroic Azjol Nerub dungeons, 15minute Oculus/Nexus/DTK/Gundrak etc dungeons. Not looting means you miss out on upwards of 3-5 greys per instance, which at 1-3g per adds up quickly, also 20s or so per corpse x about 30-50 is another 5-10g in coins so we are looking at 20g+ per instance minimum. Then factor 5g worth of frostweave cloth. On a good run ive had 12 greys and in the total instance coin drops + vendors I made 60g and a stack of frostweave. Take out even 20g for other peoples coin values in an over estimate and we are looking at 40g for 20mins of work.

I also skin/herb/mine on toons with it. Why should I skip 30-60g per some instances in leather? If people actually looted after a pull instead of sitting around for 10 seconds scratching their heads going durrrr, we would speed up more than people skinning. My druid tank who skins still outpaces the dps in groups to the next pull, how the hell do I loot my corpses and skin available ones before moving on faster than some random guy who does nothing but wait for another mob to kill? They seriously sit there for 10 seconds some times not doing a thing, not looting, not skinning, not drinking/eating.

Enchanters keep talking about losing money, and yet one here says they do not even loot corpses. You do realise the gold from greys/cloth in a random dungeon would probably outdo the gold from enchanting you make? That being said you only lose out on Abyss Crystals and Large Dream Shards and even then dream shards only from boss kills. Dream shards always would be worth little by the end of an expansion due to BoE blues/crafted items being made into shards already. Dont forget you also get the only available sale use of tier items when replaced or emblem purchased items (can DE tier and purchased items, non enchanters cannot sell at all). Lose that ability and then you can cry about auto DE (even tho I love auto DE on my 2 enchanters and both make more gold now than before it came in).
    Last edited by Dazu; 2010-11-30 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Missbenedict View Post
    a Timer would be great, 10 seconds and the loot becomes free for all.
    Lol no what happen when you pull 10+ mobs...people start takign YOUR loot no ty, if you dotn kill it you sould not even be able to skin it at all (exept if you are in the group)

Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    I have a skinner alt and I still don't loot on any of my toons. It's a waste of time to stand around and watch a person skin every mob and then constantly piss and moan about a mob not being looted because "ZOMG I CAN'T SKIN IT! BUT IT SAYS IT WANTS TO BE SKINNED!!! LET ME SKIN IT!" They act like leather face on a drug binge. Seriously, if you need skins do what every other gathering profession has to do and go farm them outside dungeons. Yes, I know there a few herbs to be found via instances and even less mining nodes. You don't however see miners and herbalists wasting everyone else's time having to stop every two seconds because they missed a small patch of fur on a fluffy.
    This

I loot/skin/mine in randoms on my healer and tank toons...do people bitch? Yeah. Do I care? No...if they get too far ahead without me and die, that's not my problem.
    As a tank/healer, I also don't have a problem if a DPS wants to skin/mine/herb during randoms....we'll survive until the DPS re-joins us and at max level, DPS doesn't matter in randoms anyways as people are usually geared/skilled to blow through it.
    People are too crackish to always want to be in a damn hurry. It's an ADHD (a disability? LMAO, my ass) agenda with the coming generation. "Move fasterz so I can pay attentionz"
    Slaggo, member of The Quick and The Dead on Alexstrasza

This would be a great idea,and something many other MMO's already have in their games.

I look at it like this...if you are not going to loot because your bags are too full or you dont need the gold then be considerate of the rest of the group and pass on loot. You can always chage it back before a boss to roll for gear. I have a couple of skinners, one of which is my druid healer and the way I see it is if the tank pulls a group while I am a few seconds behind skinning and he dies it is on them. It only takes a couple of seconds to skin, it is not an all day affair. As far as skinning if the mob is not looted, I doubt this will happen any time soon. It has always gotten to me though how someone can mass kill the beasts in STV and not loot them for me to skin though.

i got no prob with it. i dont go into dungeons for my skins. if its there, great - its a bonus. in the world outside of dungeons, its my loot. i hate these vultures skinning my stuff. go farm it yourself. i have a skinner and i did it by myself and have no probs with having to kill my own mobs and skin it to level and get my skins. stop complaining and do some work.

in dungeons if people looted skinnable mobs then huzzah, if not i just skinned the ones i was able to if i got lucky and it was my turn to loot at the time. i never complained about it and if there was another skinner in the group bitching about it i'd try to skin the mobs before them

I don't understand why some people have to do dungeons like the world gonna ends.
    I like to loot all, mining and let everyone do whatever they need to do. I get a lot of gold from grey stuff also.

As a healer I HATE tanks who wants do skip everything and do the fastest as they can.

There should be a law against a tank being a skinner. :-P

sure but after 1 or 2 mins, not 10 secs

I just thought about this loot-timer.

30 sec to loot your mob, otherwise it can be looted by everyone.