servers WILL be up and playable for Cataclysm

I have been lurking on these forums for months reading random threads, after reading many random reply's on random threads from people who for some unknown reason think the servers will be down for hours on end and totally unstable when cata is released, I finally decided to make an account.

THE SERVERS WILL NOT BE DOWN WHEN CATA IS RELEASED.

Stop saying they will be, they wont. Both previous expansion releases went flawlessly there is absolutely no reason to think they will be unplayable for this one.

This is not a patch, it is an expansion.

Welcome to the boards?
    I would disagree and say they (the previous expansions) didn't roll out flawlessly, but there were not a large amount of issues that prevented people from playing on a large scale.
    On the rational of expecting Blizzard to fail, Blizzard has had a steady pattern of failing on larger and larger scales most recently.

Take the whole Blizzard Store Fiasco, people have gone literally over a month with their credits cards being charged, and not so much as a "Sorry" for not delivering the merchandise. (No, I do not count a handful of badly spell checked e-mails and a vague blue post on the odd-ball forums as a sorry, or even admission of guilt)
    Blizzcon '08 ticket sales? Yeah, need I say more.

Recent Shattering patch? or even the past few large patches before it, servers were down for nearly an entire day. I know between my own personal schedule I was not able ot play at all that day, but was greeted with a working server the next day.
    I remember the patch that was so bad and took so long to get the server up, Blizz gave everyone with a subscription a 3-day free credit.

I don't think it's outrageous to expect failure, or at least problems when thats mostly what we have been seeing for quite some time, especially when it comes to large scale happening with the game itself.

Furthermore, it seems rather holier than thou for you to say for certain that there will be no problems.
    Certainly it's possible, and not a single person around here is HOPING for failure, we simple expect it, and are fearful of it.
    Like with all things in life, if you don't like the way Burger King makes your burger, go to Wendy's, if you don't like people going on about how the X-Pack release will fail, don't read the posts.
    Last edited by Gsusnme; 2010-11-30 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Spelling & Grammar.
    This is a signature, only a signature. And nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    but all the game files are installed, all thats left, is litterally flagging the servers to activate cata content. as simple as flipping a swi.......wait, isn't that what they said about 4.0.3a?

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a blue post or something (actually I believe it was the Best Buy interview?) But they said that realms will will not go down at all between the 3rd and 4th during the transition. The person from Blizzard described it as "flipping a switch" and all of the new content will become available. So basically the bulk of the xpac will be a hotfix =)

Hope this helped

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wubbzy View Post
    I have been lurking on these forums for months reading random threads, after reading many random reply's on random threads from people who for some unknown reason think the servers will be down for hours on end and totally unstable when cata is released, I finally decided to make an account.

THE SERVERS WILL NOT BE DOWN WHEN CATA IS RELEASED.

Stop saying they will be, they wont. Both previous expansion releases went flawlessly there is absolutely no reason to think they will be unplayable for this one.

This is not a patch, it is an expansion.
    I don't remember the servers being down when LK was released. I wasn't playing WoW when BC was released (started when BT was released.)

Thats my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    but all the game files are installed, all thats left, is litterally flagging the servers to activate cata content. as simple as flipping a swi.......wait, isn't that what they said about 4.0.3a?
    Think about it for a second. Turning on 4.0.3a required them to unload every map file from the servers. Load the new ones. Spawn NPC's. Make sure it worked. Fix what didn't.

A week from today, all they have to do is enable the content at the proper time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsusnme View Post
    Welcome to the boards?
    I would disagree and say they (the previous expansions) didn't roll out flawlessly, but there were not a large amount of issues that prevented people from playing on a large scale.
    On the rational of expecting Blizzard to fail, Blizzard has had a steady pattern of failing on larger and larger scales most recently.

Take the whole Blizzard Store Fiasco, people have gone literally over a month with their credits cards being charged, and not so much as a "Sorry" for not delivering the merchandise. (No, I do not count a handful of badly spell checked e-mails and a vague blue post on the odd-ball forums as a sorry, or even admission of guilt)
    Blizzcon '08 ticket sales? Yeah, need I say more.

Recent Shattering patch? or even the past few large patches before it, servers were down for nearly an entire day. I know between my own personal schedule I was not able ot play at all that day, but was greeted with a working server the next day.
    I remember the patch that was so bad and took so long to get the server up, Blizz gave everyone with a subscription a 3-day free credit.

I don't think it's outrageous to expect failure, or at least problems when thats mostly what we have been seeing for quite some time, especially when it comes to large scale happening with the game itself.

Furthermore, it seems rather holier than thou for you to say for certain that there will be no problems.
    Certainly it's possible, and not a single person around here is HOPING for failure, we simple expect it, and are fearful of it.
    Like with all things in life, if you don't like the way Burger King makes your burger, go to Wendy's, if you don't like people going on about how the X-Pack release will fail, don't read the posts.
    Once again, based on both the TBC and WOTLK releases it will go off without a problem, I played both at release and had absolutely 0 problems.

Also, October 14th, 2008 was the day the Achievement patch was released the servers were down until around 9:30-10:00pm EST that night, and they were constantly crashing and being restarted for the next 2 days, I remember guilds not even raiding that week because of how unstable everything was. Less then a month later WOTLK was released and it was smooth, no issues at all.

November 23rd, 2010 The shattering patch is released which includes probably the biggest overhaul to the game ever implemented. Servers are up by 5:30PM EST and totally playable, no restarts and no lag. Sure there are your basic bugs but that's expected, but they are bugs that have not hindered our ability to play the game.

There is absolutely no reason to think the servers will be unplayable December 7th at 12:00 PST
    Last edited by Wubbzy; 2010-11-30 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kerwyn View Post
    Think about it for a second. Turning on 4.0.3a required them to unload every map file from the servers. Load the new ones. Spawn NPC's. Make sure it worked. Fix what didn't.

A week from today, all they have to do is enable the content at the proper time.
    This is correct. All the quest NPCs (and other new content) are currently in the game, they are just phased out so you can't see them. Come Cataclysm launch, the phasing will be removed so you can do the quests.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
    This is correct. All the quest NPCs (and other new content) are currently in the game, they are just phased out so you can't see them. Come Cataclysm launch, the phasing will be removed so you can do the quests.
    Actually, I can tell you from threads around here that the "phasing" is a myth.

The only thing that separates us and Cataclysm content is a debuff called "No Man's Land", and people have found ways around it (almost all fixed now).

Go to the AH and look for Cataclysm mats if you don't believe me.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Actually, I can tell you from threads around here that the "phasing" is a myth.

The only thing that separates us and Cataclysm content is a debuff called "No Man's Land", and people have found ways around it (almost all fixed now).

Go to the AH and look for Cataclysm mats if you don't believe me.
    Well, the gate that prevents normal ground entry into Twilight Highlands isn't there normally, and I think they removed the bridge over frostwhisper gorge as well.

As for NPC's, they're all spawned, but you cannot take any quests.