10+ Year Old Account

Frost Worse Than Fire?

So I started a mage, and I've experimented with both fire and frost specs. I don't want to do arcane spec because even though I have heard it is good for leveling, good damage what have you, I feel it is boring and I would rather not use it. So I've dabbled in frost and fire. Started with fire and it was pretty straightforward. I used nothing but Pyroblast, fireball, fireblast and arcane missiles when it proced. Not sure if thats good or not but its all I've got I'm only level 16 after all. So after thinking maybe frost would be better. I tried it out with no luck. Using literally nothing but Frostbolt, Fireblast, and arcane missiles when it proced. I found that frost was more mana consuming and did less damage. So wondering whats your guys opinion on which spec does more damage and what should a lvl 16-20 rotation would look like for both specs and maybe a talent build for both. Any tips for frost and fire is much appreciated. Thanks in advance

You don't really notice the differences till around lvl 30. Use what ever spec you feel comfortable with. Fire is about killing the enemy before it can get to you and frost is about controlling the mobs. Fire has better burst damage and frost has better survival in tough fights.

Frost doesn't really start to look like it's supposed to until after you get Ice Lance. I would play whatever you feel comfortable with prior to that, and then once you get Ice Lance, give frost another shot.

Frost = CC spec.... less dmg, but more stuns, and will be handy in Cata when you are absolutely required to use that aspect of the game in instances...

Fire = More Glass Cannon dmg... Similar to a Destro. Lock, but not as 'evil'.... not much else tbh...

Frost does seem like it's using more mana due to less damage from Frostbolt vs Fireball. The "feeling" of Frost really hits once you're around lvl 40. Your pet, shatter ability, and survivability are the main pros of leveling with Frost. AoEing mobs is much easier and downtime is generally less as mana isn't a huge issue once you're lvl 40+ because of the low mana cost of Frostbolt vs Fireball+Pyroblast as well as your mana regeneration from your Enduring Winter talent. I enjoyed leveling as Frst. Easy quest mob gathering, easy kites vs Elites, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I were leveling my mage again, I would go Frost without a second thought based simply on having the Water Elemental's Freeze spell. Having a ranged immobilize is godly at low levels.
    EverQuest, City of Heroes, Star Wars Galaxies, EverQuest II, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Star Wars TOR, Guild Wars 2, Rift.

Deleted
    I am leveling a mage as well.. now level 60 with 4 BOA gears

at level 30-50:
    Solo: Arcane > Frost > fire
    Dungeons: Arcane > Frost > Fire
    Clearcasting and Free Arcane missile save mana.

At level 50+ , (i didn't try arcane at this level):
    Solo: Frost> Fire
    Dungeon: Fire (crazy AE)> Frost
    You get brain freeze, ice barrier and mana regen which very good for solo.
    In dengeon. just spam all AE spell with fire spec = top dps...

I didn't see any alliance in my server lol... Ally in Shattered Hand EU is a kind of rare spawm lol

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who just started leveling a mage, I can say frost starts to shine at 18 when you get Cone of Cold. Speccing into its 2 second root made a HUGE difference for me. Considering I can use that along with Frost Nova and the pet's ranged freeze... awesome.

I tend to PvP a lot when I level though so I usually go with whatever offers me more survivability via skills. I was also rolling around with over 1k HP, almost 2k mana, and over 120 bonus spell power at 19 though (ilu BoA gear ♥).

Quote Originally Posted by Goliethlol View Post
    Frost doesn't really start to look like it's supposed to until after you get Ice Lance. I would play whatever you feel comfortable with prior to that, and then once you get Ice Lance, give frost another shot.
    I would have to agree strongly with what Goliethlol is saying about Ice Lance. I currently have a 77 Mage who I have frost for leveling/pvp and fire for randoms - Ice Lance is almost the only ability I use aside from my freezing abilities (Cone of Cold, Frost Nova, Water Elementals Freeze Spell) with the occasional Frostbolt - I find I have rarely any mana issues and pull 5-6 mobs at a time together - if I do dip below 25% mana my Evocation is always off CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Televators View Post
    If I were leveling my mage again, I would go Frost without a second thought based simply on having the Water Elemental's Freeze spell. Having a ranged immobilize is godly at low levels.
    Elemental's freeze is an amazing ability, I missed having it when I was frost before 4.0.1 since I glyphed to have my Elemental out all the time (the glyph removed the freeze in order for you to have your elemental out 100% of the time) - I would say I pretty much use the freeze on CD since it also procs 2 stacks of Fingers of Frost (tier 3 talent).

Overall, frost is much better for leveling, but of course that comes down to play style and preference. Sometimes I have tried questing as fire once I come out of a random dungeon - with Scorch being cast on the move, Impact, Living Bomb, and Blast Wave, fire does have a lot of nice movement/kiting abilities, but with the lose of Ice Barrier you are very squishy. As Frost with Ice Barrier glyphed you will almost never take damage, especially with all the freezes you have available to you. I'm also on a PVP server so being Frost while questing really helps when someone tries to gank me (Deep Freeze + Ice Lance spam ftw!)

Again, it comes down to what you want to level as - but since 4.0.1 I've found Frost to be a superior leveling spec and highly recommend it to any who are starting a mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have leveled all the way to 62 (and counting) as fire and I find it to be more enjoyable than frost. However, considering how viable frost mages have become + with their pet, I'm sure they are just as good if not better for leveling. But me, I like fire so much I'm sticking with it. I don't have any problem killing mobs before they come to me and I own the 5 mans, so its all good.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

I JUST leveled my mage up to lvl 80 and did all the way as frost.
    Once you have full points in shatter and you have icelance you can start doing retarded damage

With the molten armor glyph I had about 22% average crit, going up to 28 once I hit northrend and back to 23 again when I hit 80.
    Most mobs will die to your first frostbolt + ice lance (IF you have it frozen, this can be done by running up close and frost nova or cone of cold or just freezing them with your pet from a distance).

In dungeons.... Well people are saying fire is better, and I have to agree that frost AoE is kinda weak. Blizzard hardly does the damage it needs (but gets the job done for solo AoE grinding). At one point I tried to just go and single target and this did SO much more DPS. I did 3.5k DPS with bloodlust on cynagosa at lvl 77 in violet hold. Average is about 2.5k, haven't checked again since I hit 80.