Page 1 of 3
LastLast

My opinion on why WotLK equals win IMO

I don't like people who say WotLK sucked, because that's wrong in my opinion
    WoW population increased ALOT during WotLK!

Source: http://wow.joystiq.com/tag/wow-population/

"Hater Argument:"
    WotLK were that easy, even RPers and Casuals killed Lich King.

Five of WoW's best additions came during WotLK:

1. Hard Mode: Hard mode separates casual from hardcore.
    In vanilla and TBC, there were no "real" hardmode with better gear as reward. The first trace of HM were: Zul'Gurub (Hakkar had special abilities if Panther boss were alive) Magtheridon (don't activate the cubes). But their real "Hard mode" were more difficult instances like Naxxramas (vanilla) and Sunwell Plateau.
    In WotLK, blizzard wanted EVERYONE to be able to participate in all instances and making instead Hard Modes for hardcore raiders:
    Ergo: Vanilla and TBC's "Hard modes" were more difficult instances, in WotLK, it was "Hard Mode" bosses, and your argument goes away.
    Hardest boss in end game raiding in TBC were Kil'jaeden or Illidan. If you killed those, you defeated the last boss on the hardest difficulty. If you now kill LK 10 normal, you killed the hardest boss in the EASIEST difficulty, but if you kill him 25 HEROIC, you have actually accomplished the same as a TBC raider who killed Illidan/Kil'jaeden.

2. LFG Dungeon system is awesome!

3. Class Viablility. In TBC and Vanilla, all classes had their specific specc or they would suck!
    Vanilla guy: "Hey, I'm a feral cat druid" "lol, specc resto or guild kick!!"
    TBC guy: "Hey, I'm a elemental shaman" "lol go resto or reroll!!"
    WotLK guy: "Hey I'm a Enhancement Shaman!" "Don't care, do DPS and don't fail and you're welcome to stay"

4. Vehicles. They can be boring or they can rock. IMO vehicles in quests are GREAT, it makes the questing more fun and entertaining. Vehicles in Boss fights/instance just sucks! I mean... Oculus? I didn't level up my char to 80 to sit on a dragon with 5 spells to kill a dragon (Eye of Eternity). I DID tho level my char to have fun, and vehicles + quest = YAY. The balloon quest in Gadgetzan rocks, the "kill that blue proto-drake quest" (can't remember name) in Dun Niffelem was awesome too! But probably not as a daily quest, you get tired pretty quick!

5. Ulduar. Do I need to say more?

But... In everythings that's good, is a bad thing. In this case it's the...

GEAR RESETS

A guy who started playing WoW during patch 3.3 NEVER had to go into Naxxramas, OS, EoE, Ulduar or probably not even Totc. Just go heroics and bam, you're done.

WotLK lasted very long time (over 2 years) and who haven't been tired of Dalaran, Argent Tournament, Icecrown Citadel, Northrend or anything like that? We felt that during TBC too! And a year after WotLK came out, we said "TBC WERE THE BEST!" but during TBC we said "VANILLA WERE THE BEST!"
    In Cataclysm, we will probably say "WOTLK WERE BEST! Dalaran and ICC were so beautiful!! I miss the good ol' days! sadpanda"

So... When a guy says "WotLK sucked" I THINK they are very very tired of everything that you probably did everyday for almost 2 years.
    Last edited by Shazzia; 2010-11-30 at 02:40 PM.

I don't like people who say WotLK sucked, because that's wrong.
    You're stating an opinion. Opinions are neither right nor wrong. People saying WotLK sucked are entitled to their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by loudmutes View Post
    You're stating an opinion. Opinions are neither right nor wrong. People saying WotLK sucked are entitled to their opinion.
    Thanks for pointing that out, will fix it

15+ Year Old Account
    People say its horrible now.

In 5 months time....

"MAN, REMEMBER HOW GOOD WOTLK WAS? WHY CANT WOW GO BACK TO ITS GLORY DAYS, CATACLYSM IS SOOOO EASY"

10+ Year Old Account
    This site isn't your personal blog.

That said. I agree with you, sugar. Too bad the people with the rose tinted glasses super glued to their heads will not.

Your only Con should actually be a Pro, and the reasoning is that people who come in when ICC was released, don't want to be forced to do old content to do the new content, and the reason being, is because barely anyone does that content, and therefore finding a group that will run it, be it a pug or guild, would be very hard, and would therefore hinder their ability to progress.

WoW population increased ALOT during WotLK!
    Flame is strong with this one

EDIT: Some people are actually able to read graphs, it didnt help
    Last edited by Banaghran; 2010-11-30 at 02:51 PM.

as someone that started playing shortly before wrath came out, i thought it was great. to be honest i think kara is one of the best raids in the game but i never really ran it with a group level appropriate. having said that though i love ulduar, most of the wrath dungeons and even liked the idea or toc. as far as icc goes (can someone tell me how it became icc and not just IC since it's only 2 words?) i was in a very casual strictly 10 man barely had enough people to fill it kind of guild so it was a challenge for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeleena View Post
    Your only Con should actually be a Pro, and the reasoning is that people who come in when ICC was released, don't want to be forced to do old content to do the new content, and the reason being, is because barely anyone does that content, and therefore finding a group that will run it, be it a pug or guild, would be very hard, and would therefore hinder their ability to progress.
    Sorry to pounce on this, but I totally disagree. Making an expansions content redundent within its own lifetime was a bad choice on Blizz's part. The reason no one did the "old" content was because you could easily jump from heroics straight into ICC, if not on its release, but once the buffs started kicking-in.
    Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother.

Deleted
    China started playing WoW this year, that pretty much explains the first line of your post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Big population increases have happened ever since the game started.

The game had a bigger population increase when Vanilla launched from beta to the actual game, and the only reason WOTLK became so popular was because WoW was starting or had already started to make a name for itself and more people hear about it, it's basic economics mate.
    Hey everyone

The biggest problem with WOTLK was ( blizzard almost admitted this) the rise of intitled casuals. Yes it was nice that blizzard opened up raiding for everyone with "normal modes" and then left HCs for the more hardcore type of player. The issue arose was all of the casuals who had either facerolled or been boosted in normals wanted HC modes to get the best gear.

A friend of mine would run a pug each week and would gear check people to see if tehy had all enchants and gems correct, he would get so much abuse from the casual in 264 wrathful gear with no enchant or gems stating he was an elitest. In that group we managed to get 12/12 on normal and even 7/12 on HC without vent or fully knowing the others in the group.

Opening content to casuals is fine as long as you make it hard enough so they dont think after beating it once that they should only do HC modes. impose something like:

you must have completed all bosses in the raid on normal modes before you are allowed to enter on HC modes with an exception that if its a guild group the raid leader gets a messege saying that XXXX has not completed this raid on normal, do you still want to allow him to enter. This would mean that if a guild recruits a new member that they can still run them in a raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rico99913 View Post
    as someone that started playing shortly before wrath came out, i thought it was great. to be honest i think kara is one of the best raids in the game but i never really ran it with a group level appropriate. having said that though i love ulduar, most of the wrath dungeons and even liked the idea or toc. as far as icc goes (can someone tell me how it became icc and not just IC since it's only 2 words?) i was in a very casual strictly 10 man barely had enough people to fill it kind of guild so it was a challenge for us.
    3 syllables? Duh... Ice--Crown Citadel. Agree with you about Karazhan. Great raid!

Quote Originally Posted by Greywulf View Post
    Sorry to pounce on this, but I totally disagree. Making an expansions content redundent within its own lifetime was a bad choice on Blizz's part. The reason no one did the "old" content was because you could easily jump from heroics straight into ICC, if not on its release, but once the buffs started kicking-in.
    Take alts for example. Do you want to be forced to do Naxx, then Uld, then ToC and then ICC whenever you roll a new toon? I didn't think so. Gear resets per tier is a great idea and I am glad they implemented it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take alts for example. Do you want to be forced to do Naxx, then Uld, then ToC and then ICC whenever you roll a new toon? I didn't think so. Gear resets per tier is a great idea and I am glad they implemented it.
    Learn then that alts are hard work to maintain, hence the fact they are called alts.
    Hey everyone

Take alts for example. Do you want to be forced to do Naxx, then Uld, then ToC and then ICC whenever you roll a new toon?
    After experiencing wotlk with its ins and outs, yes, i think i do

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    Learn then that alts are hard work to maintain, hence the fact they are called alts.
    Alts are not meant to be a chore. You had the chore with your main. Alts are meant to be fun, and a nice change of pace. If every toon had to grind away things like Hodir rep every time you reached 80, very few people would have alts, and the subscription base for WoW would plummet. I know I still wouldn't be playing if all I had at 80 was one toon, because it gets boring fast playing the same toon week after week after week, ad nauseum.

Alts are not meant to be a chore. You had the chore with your main. Alts are meant to be fun, and a nice change of pace. If every toon had to grind away things like Hodir rep every time you reached 80, very few people would have alts, and the subscription base for WoW would plummet. I know I still wouldn't be playing if all I had at 80 was one toon, because it gets boring fast playing the same toon week after week after week, ad nauseum.
    You are conveniently forgetting that it worked this way in vanilla and TBC and the subscriptions didnt plummet, in reality we have seen a stagnation (arguably because of more reasons) first time in wotlk, in the age of fast gameplay and endgame.
    Last edited by Banaghran; 2010-11-30 at 03:08 PM. Reason: typos...

I agree with you on the first part, but not on the second. I think it would be better if you they gave you an account wide achievement in some way, telling others that you're capable of beating the difficult stuff on X character and having it show up on another.

But just because you're a good DPS, doesn't mean you'd be a good tank or healer on hard content.

Personally, I'm an excellent healer and RDPS, but I'm not so great at MDPS or tanking. I could do heroics on my healer, but I'd probably have a tough time tanking them.

Plus what's the big stink about alts, half the characters can do two unique roles with some being able to do them all. Putting such a high emphasis on alts and entitiling them to gear is a really bad idea to me.
    Last edited by Shiggity; 2010-11-30 at 03:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    But doensn't it get boring just doing ICC everyday, why not make an alt gear it up through naxx and other various raids or heriocs depending on what you prefer, the game is supposed to be fun but also learn that games can be chores in the sense that every game needs a challenge and you feel very accomplished once you complete that challenge.
    Hey everyone