Safe to delete old world game files?

Does anyone know wether the OldWorld.mpq and OldWorld-enGB.mpq are needed to play the game or if they can safely be deleted since the shattering?

don't do it. if it's not supposed to be there, it would have been deleted

It's along time since I last was playing with the MPQ files and not just playing ingame, so I didn't that they had changed the names.

However I wouldn't delete any mpq files if I were you, the whole world wasn't changed so it's likely that everything original is there in there, and the expansion 3, is just the new cata specific stuff, ei. the new zones, while the everthing else is still stored in the old world
    "Everything always changes. The best plan lasts until the first arrow leaves the bow." - Matrim Cauthon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrus View Post
    It's along time since I last was playing with the MPQ files and not just playing ingame, so I didn't that they had changed the names.

However I wouldn't delete any mpq files if I were you, the whole world wasn't changed so it's likely that everything original is there in there, and the expansion 3, is just the new cata specific stuff, ei. the new zones, while the everthing else is still stored in the old world
    What he said, If they weren't needed then the shattering patches would most likely have been several Gigs in size.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    -Nietzsche
    Vanilla WoW was a diamond in the rough. Burning Crusade cleared the rough away and polished that diamond up. During Lich King, that diamond cracked from being over polished and in Cataclysm that diamond was replaced with a cubic zirconia.

Or you could simply move those files, as I'll do as soon as the servers are up again. And if the game is fine, I'll delete. If not, transfer back.
    EDIT: Did it, and the launcher tried to re-download them. So, I copied back.
    Yes, they stay =/
    Last edited by Buu; 2010-11-30 at 02:37 PM.

go ahead and delete them, when patch 4.0.3a came out i had a bunch of errors and patches not be able to be obtained, i ripped into my wow folder like there was no tomorrow deleting things etc, game just dl'd uncorrupted versions in like 15 mins =D go ahead, BURN IT ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by chogally View Post
    go ahead and delete them, when patch 4.0.3a came out i had a bunch of errors and patches not be able to be obtained, i ripped into my wow folder like there was no tomorrow deleting things etc, game just dl'd uncorrupted versions in like 15 mins =D go ahead, BURN IT ALL!
    Why someone who haven't those problems would like to re-download everything in your concepts?