Lightbulb An Idea for Jewel Crafting

Blizzard please let Jewel Crafters Replace Gems without destroying the one that is currently placed in the slot.

"You're Mastery of Jewel Crafting allows you to remove gems with great skill, no longer destroying them when replacing gems."

Give it to us at the JC cap in Cataclysm.

- TGYK

Go to the official forums. Mmo-champion is not officially read by Blizzard.

I'm fully aware of that. It's more of a rhetorical suggestion, meant to inspire other players to also suggest this, as I already have suggested it to Blizzard.

So they would get this benefit on top of the 3 amazing gems or instead of this?

New piece of gear? Drop a green BC gem in there to pull out your Cata epic.

Yeah, sounds fair.

I am a JC and I think this is an awful idea.

If JC'ers get this, then tailors, leatherworkers, and blacksmiths should be able to repair their own gear for free =p

10+ Year Old Account
    And Alchemists should be able to make flasks for themselves without needing materials to do so!

Yeah... It's a pretty dumb idea imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    This is good, be a man about it.
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.
    Mists of Pandaria Beta Club ~World of Warcraft Annual Pass.

I'm a JC and I do not support this. Would the removed gems be soulbound? Even if they weren't, the idea of a paladin with 3 specs making all the gems he'll need a few months into cata and never having to buy/make them again seems horrible. This would give a huge gold benefit to the profession as well, more than other crafting professions I would imagine, which is not really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wojtek View Post
    New piece of gear? Drop a green BC gem in there to pull out your Cata epic.

Yeah, sounds fair.

I am a JC and I think this is an awful idea.
    I don't think you understand. The idea is that you get the gem back, not a different gem on removal.

---

Not the best idea. Enchants, gemming and so on are a needed gold-sink for the economy. Being able to save 2,000 (at least) per tier of progression is pretty broken.
    I'm in the "I don't have an obnoxiously large signature" club.

Quote Originally Posted by dotSeed View Post
    I don't think you understand. The idea is that you get the gem back, not a different gem on removal.

---

Not the best idea. Enchants, gemming and so on are a needed gold-sink for the economy. Being able to save 2,000 (at least) per tier of progression is pretty broken.
    Actually I think it's you who doesn't understand. Say I have a piece of gear: Chestguard of Awesome, which has 1 +20 strength gem in it. Say I get Chestguard of Awesome (heroic) in a raid, I can get a +4 strength gem and put it into my CoA to get my +20 strength gem back. I then use that gem for my new piece, making the cost of the gem the few silver that the +4 str gem cost.

It doesn't matter if you have to add some crappy BC gem to remove a cata epic gem, or just remove the cata epic gem outright. We all think its a bad idea because like dotSeed said,
    Enchants, gemming and so on are a needed gold-sink for the economy. Being able to save 2,000 (at least) per tier of progression is pretty broken.

If you can't make enough gold as it is with JC to completely cover your personal gem costs, you need to rethink how you make gold.
    Last edited by Furbiscuit; 2010-12-01 at 05:24 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

I didn't show support either for or against the idea, but simply pointed out the misunderstanding of how it would work. I am, for the record, against the idea anyway and I have no trouble making the gold I need, for what it's worth.

After having my daily dose of caffeine, I realize you guys are arguing the bad wording of "You're Mastery of Jewel Crafting allows you to remove gems with great skill, no longer destroying them when replacing gems". Which can be taken as either straight up removal and / or when swapping gems. At least we all agree its a crappy idea no matter how its taken.

My apologies Zylya.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatGuyYouKnow View Post
    Blizzard please let Jewel Crafters Replace Gems without destroying the one that is currently placed in the slot.

"You're Mastery of Jewel Crafting allows you to remove gems with great skill, no longer destroying them when replacing gems."

Give it to us at the JC cap in Cataclysm.

- TGYK
    I need to ask this.. I am not a JC but I'm enchanter.
    Would it seem right to you if I get all my mats back when I replace my enchants on gear? That means I have infinite mats with no cost.
    This is exactly what you are suggesting.
    My answer is no..Leave the proffesions as they are now.

So I'm curious op, did you work for Coca Cola in the mid 80's? This is right up there with new coke.
    I am a JC, and I think this is horrible...