Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled as Prot on my pally, and yeah, there isn't much to spend holy power on in dungeons. Hammer does enough threat on AoE pulls, and I do big pulls, like, 3-4 packs at time sometimes. Word of glory is just a better use. It's not that I don't trust the healer, it's that its more defensive. Overhealing creates a bubble, so even if im at full HP I will sometimes use it. I can understand why it annoys you, but overall i'm just trying to be a bit more helpful and relieve a bit of stress on you for my huge pulls. And besides, tanks aren't the only person who need healing. =)

More than likely it's Word of Glory, which if talented has a chance to not consume holy power, and also gives Holy Shield + any overhealed amount ot become another shield. The only other use for Holy Power is Shield of the Righteous which they should be using as well to DPS.

Get used to it, in a week you will appreciate it. The fact is in Cataclysm personal survivability will be the responsibility of everyone, not just the healers. When paladin tanks get three stacks of holy power they now have a choice: they can increase their threat, or if their threat is fine they can get a nice free self heal, saving the healers precious mana (which will be an issue in Cata).

By the same token, I recommend DPS players level up first aid and carry health pots now. It is a new game for some, and reverting to the old game for others, but like it or not it is a reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    wait til you get max level and you heal a 5 man with nothing but renew and someoner calls you a noob crap renew spammer... lol so stupid.. hard to fathom but poeple have said that to me on my priest on more than one occassion.. even though no one died and i waas doing my job just fine with one button mainly.

But yeah it bothers me when players heal themselves when I'm the healer as well.i am an efficient healer and that means I don't always cap poeple 100%.. I might leave them at 80% or around because more heals are unnecessary.
    Sometimes this also gets players calling me a nub bad healer.. even though no one dies, and I do a great job.
    People can just be so dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    I self heal due to bad healers. My pally tank is decent geared (About 35k hp, so not amazing mind you) but I do not expect to get down to 5k hp in a heroic from 3-5 mobs. That makes me a bit nerveous, and I heal myself. (I have actually timed out the heal I WOULD have gotten in these cases, and they always came about 3 seconds too late).

So ya, I do it to save my own ass and to prevent a wipe.
    We are WARRIORS man! If we can't make it bleed, we will sure as hell dent the f%^ck out of it!

I've been levelling a prot pala recently; I sorta do this too, but I normally base my decision on my incoming heals more than anything else, the size of the pull left alive, stuff like that. Also, the overhealing gets turned into a bubble at higher levels

Also until 11 talent points, theres nothing else for a prot pala to use HP for. seriously. literally no other ability.

Deleted
    how about you do your job and dps as discipline you heal if you smite (well if youre lvl20 then no but afterwards) so how about helping the group instead of complaining about a tank using his holy power for the only thing he has to use it?

if your threat is good or you don't have shield of righteousness yet then its the only use of your holy power.. why NOT use it. Cast some damage spells on the mob if you feel like you aren't doing anything. At 80 I still use word of glory if its a single target and my threat is high enough.

@frejborg that mind set is silly in this case... ok a DPSer casting a heal is stupid unless its a bad spot and no heals incoming but in this case pally tanks have the option and its literally a free heal that hurts nothing but maybe your ego once ever 6 seconds or so =P
    Last edited by Voodoou; 2010-11-30 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinicide View Post
    I rerolled a priest after the new patch because I like being a healer. I played a shaman healer through most of wrath and really enjoyed it, so I thought I'd give it a shot with a priest. So far, I absolutely love it. When I'm healing for a group with a war or druid tank it's awesome, but almost EVERY time there's a paladin tanking, they insist on healing themselves whenever they drop below 70%.

Power infusion is on a 45s cd, so every 45s I get a free heal, and few things irk me more than casting a power-infused gheal on a paladin and having it pop off right as the paladin decides to heal themselves. It's a waste of my mana and my cd's.

I can totally understand and appreciate if it's a big pull and dps are all getting jacked up pretty hard or I'm starting to run low on mana, but if you're the only one taking damage, I got you, relax, let me do my job.
    While I understand what you are saying. You have to stop and wonder exactly why. Once you look at our talents there is a talent that gives us Holy Shield (available through Shield of the Righteous and soon Inquisition), but it also creates a Shield (old Sacred Shield effect) if overhealed. This is essentially the same as us using a miniature Divine Protection. Which if you want to complain about us using WoG then would you complain about us using our cooldowns? They are essentially the same thing only this one provides a heal with it as well. The heal itself is also good for generating AoE aggro. On multiple add packs I tend to use this one more often (till Inquisition) to help with threat and the shield is rather nice especially with casters.

Now if you are talking about Flash of Light then that's another story. Yes, I've seen tanks do this at 100% health because "it gives me aggro". Same goes for when I see a paladin tank casting Exorcism while being pounded on. Initial start of a pull I can see, but not in the middle of the fight. Might as well say "Let me sit down for a second and let you beat on me from behind". ><

Word of glory puts a bubble on the paladin which is mitigation. I use it whenever I have a threat lead and i'm at level cap. Its not just a lowbie thing we are basically designed to do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    wow, talk about paranoid. on big packs i'd rather throw myself a heal between Hammers if everything is stable. if a mob goes for someone else i'll toss a Shield of the Righteous it's way but other than that, your group mostly likely won't need the extra damage so, eh, free heal with Holy Power. if your pala tank isn't taking any damage just do some deeps? i don't see the problem.

I self heal, going into a pull thinking
    a) if they get stunned, im dead = wipe
    b) if they get silenced, im dead = wipe
    c) if YOU'RE bad, im dead = wipe

Deleted
    I have a prot paladin at 80, i'm no where near the best tank so maybe I am doing it wrong but i will usually use Word of Glory on myself. It's rather handy after a trash pull, if I am in full health anything that goes over will become a damage sheild for the next pull (with the right talent)... thats how i use it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigroll View Post
    As it have been said before, Word of glory heals you for a decent and if talented, adds an absorb on the pala
    Totally off topic, but I had to give kudos to the T.H. White reference in your sig. The Once and Future King is, and will always be, my favorite book of all time.

On topic, I run with a disc priest most of the time, and the Guarded by the Light shield will pull off PW: Shield. So I specced out of it to keep my girlfriend (the disc) from raging.

I use it pretty often when I'm tanking randoms. If threat isn't a concern, why not pop myself an extra heal + absorb? It has nothing to do with not trusting the healer. It's just one of many tools I have at my disposal, why shouldn't I use it?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinicide View Post
    I rerolled a priest after the new patch because I like being a healer. I played a shaman healer through most of wrath and really enjoyed it, so I thought I'd give it a shot with a priest. So far, I absolutely love it. When I'm healing for a group with a war or druid tank it's awesome, but almost EVERY time there's a paladin tanking, they insist on healing themselves whenever they drop below 70%.

Power infusion is on a 45s cd, so every 45s I get a free heal, and few things irk me more than casting a power-infused gheal on a paladin and having it pop off right as the paladin decides to heal themselves. It's a waste of my mana and my cd's.

I can totally understand and appreciate if it's a big pull and dps are all getting jacked up pretty hard or I'm starting to run low on mana, but if you're the only one taking damage, I got you, relax, let me do my job.
    What level are you? WoG is the only ability in which prot paladins can dumb their HP on before lvl 39 you know.

10+ Year Old Account
    All paladins do that, why? Because they can, simple.

If it bothers you that you have nothing to do, then DPS, use those free spells on dps spells, or just sit around and let your mana regen, then only heal when he pulls extra mobs. Or, just ask him to pull faster/more mobs?

I swear, people get bothered if the other guy's hair is too big for their tastes.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

What I hate as a fury warrior is when a pack is pulled and i get damaged say i drop to 65% ish and as we down a mob I get healed back to full and makes my Victory Rush's heal completley obsolete, knowing that the healer didn't need to heal me and I could have saved them mana.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea what level the tank is which you are griping about, but if he is not at least lvl 41 then he literally has nothing else aside from WoG to use his HoPo for. If he "insists" on healing himself then I would refrain from healing him until he gets the point that he needs a healer.

Deleted
    Holy Shield proccs from World of Glory, that's most likely your answer.