Thread: Chaos Orbs

Chaos Orbs

So...my understanding is they're BoP and one per heroic...that's about all I know about these things but I've been searching and searching for info on 'em.

Anybody else got any scoops on 'em?

I know Primal Nethers were originally BoP...but they got changed. Kinda surprising blizz is going back to that...

I thought making them BoP was a smart idea in the first place. Just buying orbs in the AH took alot of the fun of having to actually work for your gear. Also this stops alot of professions (leatherworking in particular) from just buying mats in the AH for 60g and selling the item (leg armor etc.) for 200g. I made like 2000-3000g just sitting there buying cheap leather and cheap orbs on my leatherworker. I'll lose profit, but it's good to see that blizz is atleast trying to make us work a bit for gear again.

Though this also brings back the problem of, here's all the mats but the orb make me the item. If your a crafter you need tons of orbs to make people items and have to rely on people tipping lots for the fact that your using your own orbs for them.

---------- Post added 2010-11-30 at 03:57 PM ----------

Also, is it each person gets one Chaos Orb? Or is it like a roll at the end for the one Chaos Orb?

Personally Id rather roll for one Chaos Orb, have them be kind of semi rare. Have items only take 1-2 Orbs to make.
    I can see them making it so each person gets one though, especially with LFD since people will greed on orbs even if they have absolutely no use for them.

(I would love to see items cost justice points and 1 Chaos Orb, have them be BoP, 1 per instance. As we move up through the raids, next tier etc, make the items cost Justice Points + 1 Whatever Orb, and have them be BoP. I dunno mostly I would like to see more thought being put into getting new gear other then, hey it dropped lets all roll or hey I just farmed a bunch of heroics free items. BC seemed to have a good balance with badges of justice, I hope cata will also.)

10+ Year Old Account
    So if they are BoP does this means that only crafters should roll on them ???? i have a miner and herbs and for him would be kinda useless if i cant mail them to my crafter

It would supplant the "tip" system because I'd have to charge a flat rate for the orbs (no one would offer to tip what the orb was worth. No one ever does). Meh. I rarely craft for tips anyway. It's very rarely worth it.

I'd say the crafter who can farm more orbs is going to have more market presence and therefore make the most profit off of this. At least it doesn't look like the leg patches will require orbs.

O man I remember back in BC when they were BoP you'd get in a pug and some idiot with no professions would roll and win. Hopefully IF they are going back to this you'll only have the option to roll if you have a profession that can use them.

Quote Originally Posted by lopus View Post
    So if they are BoP does this means that only crafters should roll on them ???? i have a miner and herbs and for him would be kinda useless if i cant mail them to my crafter
    Pretty much. They'd be vendor trash to anyone without a means to craft with them. Wonder if blizz will adjust the roll system accordingly...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CynicalOtaku View Post
    Pretty much. They'd be vendor trash to anyone without a means to craft with them. Wonder if blizz will adjust the roll system accordingly...
    i hope so maybe letting crafters need on them and the rest can only greed

i saw this on wowhead and loled. Blizzard and logic dont mix well.

i don't see how this can be right, Engineering goggles "Requires Level 81" and are BOP, but to get mats you need to be level 85. Either an oversight or engineers are getting screwed, think it's the latter. It'll probably get changed to BOE at some point in the future but until then this implementation is underwhelming.

I like the general idea, but like Miku said, it just means crafters have to stockpile them somehow. If I were at Blizz I'd make the BoE items unequippable until the intended owner uses a BoP orb on it. Doing so would consume the orb, allow the item to be used, and soulbind the item.
    Uther (US) -- Daztreides

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    I like the general idea, but like Miku said, it just means crafters have to stockpile them somehow. If I were at Blizz I'd make the BoE items unequippable until the intended owner uses a BoP orb on it. Doing so would consume the orb, allow the item to be used, and soulbind the item.
    Now there's an idea. That way crafters don't have to deal with the stockpiling dealio. I know my first 5 orbs are going towards the chest and belt for myself, anyways.