Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Nightelf mages against lore!

The basis behind this argument is the fact that Night Elves banished Arcane magic from their society for roughly 10,000 years. The possibility of Night Elves renewing their ties to Arcane magic "Breaks canon."

This kind of boggles my mind because if Night Elves all of a sudden start using Arcane magic again...doesn't that become part of the lore? They banned it under penalty of death for a hundred centuries due to what they caused...if they see the new threats that will arise from Deathwing's return as a means to justify taking up Arcane magic again...who should really care from an OOC perspective? At that point it becomes lore. It becomes canon.

It's not like they never used Arcane magic to begin with and all of a sudden they can use it. They are fully capable of using it, and using it well. It was a choice to stop using use it and ban it. They weren't cut off from it. They didn't forget how. They weren't magically unable. They CHOSE not to use it. Now they might CHOOSE to use it again.

Am I in the ballpark here?

15+ Year Old Account
    I seem to recall something about the cataclysm waking or bringing forth the highborne of Shen'dralar

Would've made more sense to give them shamans or paladins to spin on the Elune/Earthmother/The Light relation.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Moonfire/Starfire/Starfall are all arcane. (not going from a lore point of view at all here). So they have been using arcane magic for a while now with druids and possibly others.

Quote Originally Posted by Toskorae View Post
    I seem to recall something about the cataclysm waking or bringing forth the highborne of Shen'dralar
    the Shen'dralar were outcasts because they continued to use arcane magics. but with new threats, i think that we need all the allies we can get, even if they were social outcasts before.

now explain ORC mages.

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

/thread

That's basically all there is to it. And those guys hadn't exactly stopped their research. Hell, they've been doing nothing else in Dire Maul since vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Artaius View Post
    Moonfire/Starfire/Starfall are all arcane. (not going from a lore point of view at all here). So they have been using arcane magic for a while now with druids and possibly others.
    And isn't that nature magic?

The night elves aren't suddenly picking up sorcery. Night elves that were banished 10k years ago, such as the Shen'dralar, are being allowed back into night elf society.

And something like three different people beat me to this...

I'MMA DO MY CRAZY DANCE! *jumps out window*

Quote Originally Posted by BossManRoth View Post
    the Shen'dralar were outcasts because they continued to use arcane magics. but with new threats, i think that we need all the allies we can get, even if they were social outcasts before.

now explain ORC mages.
    I think Orc Mages have to do with shadow magic being corrupted arcane magic. And since anything that can use arcane can be a mage, Orcs can be mages. I think I read that somewhere, don't murder me if not.

Quote Originally Posted by BossManRoth View Post
    now explain ORC mages.
    Blood elves.

Blood elves are trying to get over their addiction to fel magic. Some orc warlocks decide they have had it with fel magic and ask the blood elves to train them to use normal magic.

I have no idea if there's anything in the game to support this. It just seems like a perfectly logical jump to me.

Mages are basically shaman with no attunements to the elements and their will, so orc mages aren't really that far-fetched. As for 'ooo, look at all the dead elves with their shiny magics all of a sudden' I don't even know.

Pretty sure there was already like 50 topics regarding Nelf mages since new race/class combos were announced, did we really need another?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

i just think its funny people are complaining about nelf mages and tauren paladins, which are explained ingame as well as in lore, but no one cared to ask about orc mages.

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Blood elves.

Blood elves are trying to get over their addiction to fel magic. Some orc warlocks decide they have had it with fel magic and ask the blood elves to train them to use normal magic.

I have no idea if there's anything in the game to support this. It just seems like a perfectly logical jump to me.
    I think Orcs are mentally capable of learning magic and thats all there is to it.
    I'm going to do some real damage!

You'd think with so many changed and things going on with the Night Elves, you would see some actual development as a race going on. Thus, this would all make sense. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Those guys have been hiding in Dire Maul and working their magic for the past 10.000 years.
    No wonder Arcane is so OP.
    English is not my first language, feel free to point out any mistake so i can keep learning.

10+ Year Old Account
    No class that can be a Warlock should be impaired of being a Mage. All magic comes from the same source, the arcane. It derives into elemental magic, holy and shadow magic. Warlocks simply use fel magic which is a corrupted form of the arcane. No biggie here on Orc Mages. Also, Trolls could very well have teached them the ways of arcane manipulation.

Click signature for main character's armory.

I seem to recall that Blizzard makes lore. What they wish to happen happen. (Except for Falstad Wildhammer)

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    This. Basically, we are using Highborne, and yes, they are being allowed because, right now, lets say their prejudices to the Arcane are over, because there's a damn dragon trying to destroy everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Andymion View Post
    I think Orcs are mentally capable of learning magic and thats all there is to it.
    Humans had to be taught by high elves.

I think it makes perfect sense blood elves would teach orcs.

You failed to mention that Arcane magic was accepted back in as the Nightelfs now believe they can control they're urge to overuse it.
    The original reason for banning was overuse ,IE Addiction.