Batman vs. Superman - 4/10. 3 of those points are awarded just for watching Gal Gadot walk around (good lord!). As someone who never read these comics, the premise of this movie is preposterous, even by superhero standards. Still, the end of it does set a good stage for sequels.

It's not a movie, but I wanna give Black Sails on Starz some major respect for being a legit and incredibly well acted show. Watched it on a whim and now I can't stop the marathon.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Dr Strange

Thoroughly enjoyed this movie, another great MCU side project. Marvel has split the atom while DC is still banging rocks together, it's really unfortunate. DC comics deserve better.

The smart thing they do is to make each side film very distinct in tone and style, stay faithful to the comics but still give the filmmakers a lot of creative freedom. That way you don't get sick of "another superhero movie". Even when the overall plot might be fairly standard, the specifics of the movie are so good that you barely even notice. I think this was the perfect way to handle Dr Strange.

Pretty much the only thing I can say as a negative is that the scene where he breaks through and finally learns how to use his sling ring didn't actually show the critical moment. Bit dramatically underwhelming. Also Mordo's cameo after the end credits was a bit rushed, but I'll forgive this as it's just essentially a teaser. Oh and the other mid credits scene wasn't much to write home about either.

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    the things that bother me everytime though, the wall... just why???? i can understand the world governments thinking the Jaeger program is bad and the world needs something new to combat the monsters, but why a wall? The goverments know that the monsters keep coming, so whats the plan once a wall is built? just let the monsters roam around the pacific ocean and hope they dont ever attack a wall? and those monsters just trample skyscrapers all over the place, why would they think building a concrete wall would stop well?
    IKR? Building a giant stupid wall to keep out aliens that's never going to work, who would agree to such a thing? Completely unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Batman vs. Superman - 4/10. 3 of those points are awarded just for watching Gal Gadot walk around (good lord!). As someone who never read these comics, the premise of this movie is preposterous, even by superhero standards. Still, the end of it does set a good stage for sequels.
    It's not very faithful to the comics. Though I guess that's difficult to say as there are so many different comics over a span of over 70 years. BvS was kind of like a kid half-remembering the plot of the Dark Knight Returns, but he only likes the bit where Batman and Superman punch each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The Bourne Identity - 7/10 (Good)

A simple thriller/mystery film about an amnesic who's being hunted by the CIA for unknown reasons. No convoluted plot twists; just a straight story about evading the CIA and finding out what happened. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

IKR? Building a giant stupid wall to keep out aliens that's never going to work, who would agree to such a thing? Completely unrealistic.
    it totally killed the immersion for me!
    dragonmaw - EU

I'm not sure what is sarcasm and what isn't in this Pacific Rim wall discussion.

I'm pretty sure it's all sarcasm. Including your own post...*chuckles*

Deleted
    Suicide Squad Extended Edition.

4/10

Didn't stop a retarded movie being less retarded. The ultimate edition of Batman V Superman had a gigantic impact on the quality of the movie, but Suicide Squad was just a bad movie and the 11 minutes or so literally changed nothing about the problems this movie has.

Deleted
    Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - 7/10 (Junior Xmen)

Few flaws in the film, but nothing that distracts from the movie, could not help comparing it to xmen throughout though. Still Enjoyable though.

Sully - 8/10
    Thoroughly enjoyable dramatisation / biographical movie of the events that happened after the landing of an aircraft on the Hudson, on how it effected the Captain, the Co-pilot, and the rest of the passengers and crew. Whilst it was not Hank's best performance (this imo was in S.P.R.) he made a compelling and believable main character for the majority of the film, the only thing that let him down imo was his interactions with his wife over the phone, This is where I stopped thinking about him being "Sully" are more like "Tom Hanks". Other than that it is a damn good film.

Terminus 5/10
    Man finds meteorite that for no reason given, explained or hinted at to why, other than one line "it is creation" which is very easy to miss, is able to heal people. This leads to a secret government agency to go chasing after it, only for the man to build big container that somehow manages to save his daughter and an add on character who go a new leg grown from the Meteorite.

from the trailer I saw it was obvious it was not going to be a block buster, or one with a mega budget to work with, but they took what could have been a really great story, and fucked it up with so much bad character building that the whole premise of what the object was, where it came from, and why was probably lost on the cutting room floor.

Moana (2016)

Judge me all you want, but this rating is 8.5/10 lol

I'm usually only watching comedies, but lately my girlfriend and I have gone to see a few animation movies and I have to say right now, they're the most entertaining in my opinion.

The songs were good in this movie, it had Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as 1 of the voices, and the story was inspirational and powerful with an intriguing story line. How can you go wrong with that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I'm not sure what is sarcasm and what isn't in this Pacific Rim wall discussion.
    of course its mostly sarcasm, the film has a ridiculous plot and isn't supposed to be taken seriously. however, i still feel that most other parts of the film make sense to a degree, but the wall thing, everytime i watch it i get annoyed that they offer no explanation for this wall, at least with the mechs they say they needed monsters to fight monsters.
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by serenka View Post
    of course its mostly sarcasm, the film has a ridiculous plot and isn't supposed to be taken seriously. however, i still feel that most other parts of the film make sense to a degree, but the wall thing, everytime i watch it i get annoyed that they offer no explanation for this wall, at least with the mechs they say they needed monsters to fight monsters.
    No, I meant Mormolyce's comment was sarcasm. I believe he was hinting at Trump's wall as a way to say that making a wall in a silly attempt to keep out "aliens" is apparently plausible enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    No, I meant Mormolyce's comment was sarcasm. I believe he was hinting at Trump's wall as a way to say that making a wall in a silly attempt to keep out "aliens" is apparently plausible enough.
    Bingo.
    His posts in Gen-OT were indicative of that to me.

Suicide Squad on desktop today.

It had more elements of a continuation from Batman vs. Superman than expected, but I walked in ignorant and open [compared to people who may be comic book snobs citing anything that's off].

Overall it's not bad. It definitely feels like an action movie but like. There are so many snippets where some song plays that's supposed to go with the mood of some crazy scene that it's a tiny bit unorthodox. So while there are some parts that seem stereotypical, there are some parts that just aren't.

Acting was hit and miss. I don't usually care about this but the joker was 100% cringe worthy. Literally every scene with him was hard to watch. Harley Quinn acting was...I guess the voice was off for me, but the whole character grew on me as the movie progressed and you see some flashbacks of her. Will Smith was a good character. Tattoo face was cast well. Killer Croc was disappointing, he looked anorexic out of his clothes compared to how big his face and neck were.

Story was pretty good. The characters were interesting.
    Plot was fine. It was pretty typical and expected.

But uhhhh. There was a problem with suspension of disbelief. There were quite a few things, logic things, I just couldn't get over.

1. First of all, the whole reason for assembling the squad was because "if superman wanted he could kill anyone and no one could keep him in check. And now he's dead." That's really good motivation to want to take some extra precautions, but it was said like a passing thought so in the beginning even though the introduction of the characters is cool, it doesn't really draw the audience in.

2. There are quite a few members of the team that just don't make sense. "You know how we have trained soldiers? Let's ignore them and assemble a superhuman team to do stuff. Oh but, about that superhuman part...yeah let's let a few people in just for the lols." I don't see why Harley Quinn was part of the team. Or the Australian guy. Kinda put me off seeing normies. It didn't make sense.

Not a logic flaw but the villain was weak too. Like, when there's a weak villain, the movie suffers. So meh.

I'll give it 4/10. Most of that is it being a decent big budget action movie, and like at least one of those points is because it's slightly unusual and breaks the usual superhero story. It's actually a pretty well done movie if you look at it overall. But there are just problems I can't get over about the squad getting together, the joker was horrible, and the villain didn't make the movie feel dire enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Suicide Squad on desktop today.
    But uhhhh. There was a problem with suspension of disbelief. There were quite a few things, logic things, I just couldn't get over.

1. First of all, the whole reason for assembling the squad was because "if superman wanted he could kill anyone and no one could keep him in check. And now he's dead." That's really good motivation to want to take some extra precautions, but it was said like a passing thought so in the beginning even though the introduction of the characters is cool, it doesn't really draw the audience in.

2. There are quite a few members of the team that just don't make sense. "You know how we have trained soldiers? Let's ignore them and assemble a superhuman team to do stuff. Oh but, about that superhuman part...yeah let's let a few people in just for the lols." I don't see why Harley Quinn was part of the team. Or the Australian guy. Kinda put me off seeing normies. It didn't make sense.
    That was one of the things I couldn't get over. I mean they couldn't take Superman on his worst day...although arguably, they did have one who might have proven to be a challenge, but she turns out to be the big bad here.
    And speaking of logic, where was it when Waller can call in an airstrike not two blocks from that "gateway" thing, but can't target the very gateway itself?
    And then we have the big bad witch that annihilates an aircraft carrier, but then decides to go toe-to-toe with a bunch of humans? Enhanced or not, they shouldn't even be a consideration much less an annoyance that demands personal attention.

I just didn't like this movie at all.

Spoilers ahoy.

Moana 9/10

Beautiful animation filled to the brim with color, fun characters, and incredible music (including my favorite villain song since Friends on the Other Side!), I absolutely loved it. It was just a fun movie that I hope gets even half of the following Frozen did because it really deserves it (and I hated frozen).

- - - Updated - - -

Fantastic Beasts 7/10

Eddie Redmayne was great and the beasts were fantastic, but it was ultimately just a set up for the rest of the franchise, and thus it felt a bit bleh with a villain who was basically a carbon copy of Magneto. I miss when Harry Potter was fun instead of ultra grimdark.

Dr. Strange 4/10

Visually stunning with leftover effects from Inception, but it really has nothing else going for it. Even Cumberbatch was a disappointment as he puts on one of the worst American accents I have heard in recent memory, Tilda Swinton the most bland/generic she has ever been, and they even found a way to turn Mads Mikleson into yet another terrible Marvel villain. The humor felt really forced and stilted, a far cry from the norm for Marvel, and the plot was really nothing to write home about. All in all, one of my least favorite Marvel movies to date, hell, I'd put it under Batman v Superman as my least favorite superhero movie of the year.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them - 7/10

A good and fun family/fantasy movie, that manages to be faithful to the HP universe while also being its own movie. The beasts looked amazing with some fancy CGI, my only gripe is that the characters could've been better.

Sicario - 9/10

Had to rewatch this again (thanks Grand Tour using music from the soundtrack, jerks!). Still awesome the 5th time around. All around the film is a fuckin' master class in building tension.

Don't Breathe - 8/10

Goddamn. Another movie that builds tension like crazy. Stephen Lang is terrifying and oh so creepy...I was totally on his side too, but then...yeah lol.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Jason Bourne. 7/10 on its own. Pacing was off to me; seemed a bit rushed. Less substance, more style as compared to the previous entries. Flashy explosions distracting from a strained, threadbare plot. Tommy Lee and the other assorted cast did what they could with what they had to work with. Matt Damon did his usual. A decent standalone at 7/10, but as a series fan, barely a mere 5 as compared to the previous entries.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2016-12-10 at 12:26 AM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.