Koe No Katachi (2016) - A silent Voice in English.
    its an anime movie. oh boy did i cry during this one. great story, very well animated 10/10 for me. would recomend to any animation or anime lover.
    There is a void in my heart. Have you come to fill it?

7+ Year Old Account
    The Shape of Water (2017) - 5/10

Looks nice on screen. The acting is solid as is the over all production. However, the story bored me into nap mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Melius View Post
    Koe No Katachi (2016) - A silent Voice in English.
    its an anime movie. oh boy did i cry during this one. great story, very well animated 10/10 for me. would recomend to any animation or anime lover.
    Its a pretty good movie, my mother cried like a baby at the end.

Deleted
    Thor: Ragnarok 5/10

There were some entertaining sceens in the film, the arena was entertaining and a few other bits. However the film felt like a parody of itself at points with the over the top humour and punchlines every 30seconds. It gets a bit tiring when every scene needs a comical one liner, there were only a few that actually made me laugh a bit. I don't really like how they handled hulk , why was he like an angsty teenager?? Thor in thunder-god mode was awesome though, it needed more scenes of him kicking ass.

Overall it would have been a better movie if it took itself a bit more seriously, the marvel films have always had one liners in them, but this one just felt over the top.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    The Shape of Water (2017) - 5/10

Looks nice on screen. The acting is solid as is the over all production. However, the story bored me into nap mode.
    Going to see the movie next week. I hope I like it :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Going to see the movie next week. I hope I like it :P
    Lots of people have liked it. Pretty sure I'm in the minority on this one.

7+ Year Old Account
    The Help: 8.5/10
    Trailer

A wonderfully crafted true-based drama that focuses on American black maid labor in the 60's. The beauty of this movie is that it doesn't tunnelvision into this theme, but rather gives the stage to a plethora of colorful people. Emma Stone being one star as she portrays the role of odd-ball well and serves as a good-doing catalyst throughout the movie.

The awareness of how black maids served white households isn't as finely displayed as The Butler, but enough to get the impression the movie wants you to get. Enough to gain sympathy and enough to wish for a rallying cry. But not enough to gain prejudice towards all the white families. Thanks to the showcased diversity in a white community some of the sympathy is shared with a handful of selfconscience people who realize that hiring black maids is a norm, but without forgetting that they are human aswell. The result brings friction and emotion among the people in this society which makes the movie even more interesting.

There is one particular heartbreaking scene where I just couldn't keep a tear from falling. Fortunately humor is also one ingredient baked into the movie and it even has a hint of romance to it. My only complaint was Ahna O'Reilly whos acting was underwhelming, but partly due to her role. You'll find the acting in The Help quite satisfactory and would recommend it to everyone who likes her/his drama light but beefy at the same time. A few favorite quotes:

Courage sometimes skips a generation
    Love and hate are two horns on the same goat and you need a goat
    Run Minny, run
    You is kind.. you is smart and you is important

RECOMMENDED

Downsizing: 4/10

I feel like this movie wasnt even bad by concept but just turned into a boring romance/drama in the second half.
    Could have been much better with these actors.

The commuter: 6/10

Another generic Liam Neeson movie. But still somewhat entertaining, even though it got really unreallistic in the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    New Thor: 8/10

Such a breath of fresh air. Much like the first GotG, the humor was spot on. I love a comic book inspired film that doesn't take itself overly serious and this delivered on all fronts. Welcomed, well delivered humor in spades, good action scenes, interesting villain and powers and just over all a very good time.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Revolver - 4/10: Meandering, plot-hole laden action flick with a poorly thought out philosophical undertone. My streak of disliking Jason Statham movies after Snatch continues.

jumanji
    7/10

this movie was surprisingly quite entertaining. i went to see it not really knowing what to expect for this 2nd jumanji movie...
    it had some pretty decent humor, and found myself laughing out loud a few times with others in the theater
    the movie is purposely meant to be somewhat corny, and just be entertaining, and it does just that

would watch if this movie came on tv

The Hitman's Bodyguard. 7/10. For what it was- silly popcorn flick that doesn't take itself seriously. For that much, the pace was solid, the chemistry between the main stars was surprisingly good, and it was surprisingly decent acting all around.

Cliches and tropes abound, but it ultimately doesn't detract from the film that much. All in all, enjoyable film. But definitely a rent first type of movie!
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

@Blueobelisk still waiting on that bladerunner 2049 review buddy.

Star wars the last jedi : 8/10

Pretty epic space opera that brings something new to the classic formula, takes creative risks which I appreciate and the attention to detail you can tell rian johnson really cared for the project and it was a passion project. He gave great attention to minor details and creatures etc it created a very unique experience while still feeling very much a star wars experience. There were some unnecessary scenes that kind of bloated the film and interrupted the pace as well as silly decisions from key characters but the performances from Mark hamil, adam driver and even daisy ridley who im not convinced yet is a good actress but their performances this movie were very good for a big blockbuster.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    @Blueobelisk still waiting on that bladerunner 2049 review buddy.
    Alright alright I'll try to find time in these next two days to watch it. It's a 3 hour time sink so hopefully it's worth it.

I would've watched Star Wars but it's still in standard quality only, not HD. W/e the fuck that means. Who the fuck records something in Standard quality in 2018??? Why is that even an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Alright alright I'll try to find time in these next two days to watch it. It's a 3 hour time sink so hopefully it's worth it.

I would've watched Star Wars but it's still in standard quality only, not HD. W/e the fuck that means. Who the fuck records something in Standard quality in 2018??? Why is that even an option?
    Yeah you need to give it a fair go, none of this double monitor nonsense so need a few hours spare

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    Yeah you need to give it a fair go, none of this double monitor nonsense so need a few hours spare
    Also no alt tabbing.

The Shape of Water - 2/10

It was well-shot but ultimately I thought it was just boring, vile political drivel. Probably the worst movie I've seen that came out in 2017.

10+ Year Old Account
    He's Back!

84/100

Hitler "dies" and wakes up in Modern Berlin. Hilarious and sad at the same time.

The wait is over. Blade Runner 2049 on desktop. I gave that monitor 100% of my attention. No alt tabbing or second monitor.

Okay so AlexisSanchez is right, it's not an action movie. At all. The best way to describe it is a drama. To be honest, this is the kind of movie that I hate the most. It's a very "theater" movie. Literally 35% of the movie has no speaking, and you just watch scenes of the world or set/environment while some ominous music (or no music, but computer clicking or other light noise) is playing. Then, 25% of the movie is staring at the silent character expressions and faces as they have realizations or their emotions/thoughts wash over them. So only 40% of the movie is actually talking or action...

I would normally call this type of movie very slow paced and horrible, but there are two reasons that it wasn't that bad. The first reason is that the camerawork is probably the best I've ever seen in any movie. The lingering on a character isn't TOO long, but the camera switches to different positions in the scene every 5-7 seconds or so that make it really feel like you're moving through. I'm so impressed.

The other reason that the slow pace doesn't kill the movie is because the scenes are so cohesive that it brings the story forward and makes you want more. It's such a weird way to describe this, but each plot scene is a bit long and honestly they're so different (setting/character/topic), but they mesh together so well that you want to see how the story progresses. Each scene is like narratively continuous and in order, and yet still somewhat separate showing a different piece of the mystery/characters/motivations. It's truly impressive for a 2.5 hour long movie.

The last thing about "staring at people's emotional faces" is that it works because the acting is decent, but that's more of a "I'm neutral about it so I won't subtract points for it." It's not my style of movie, but it's not like it was bad in this movie. The thing is, the acting isn't really supposed to invoke emotion from the viewer...like...it's not like that scene of Fresh Prince of Bel Air where you're sad because Will Smith's dad doesn't want him. Instead, you just sort of neutrally understand why the characters are thinking about what they're thinking. Neutral.

The fantasy world setting is cool, but they didn't focus on it. Which was fine, I'm sure in the 70s when the original Blade Runner movie was made it seemed cool, but 2017 when this movie was made, it was standard, and it felt standard. Like, the movie just takes for granted that cool advanced technology existed without trying to woo the audience with it. I liked that.

The theme..."ogm are robots as good as humans?" "lets take something and kill it cause we dont understand it!" "does a born creature have a soul even if it's half robot?" "omg imn eccentric billionaire and i have crazy dreams and motivations" aren't exactly new or profound, so I can't call it entirely original.

The story itself was very good, though. It progressed well enough and was told in a good way.

I'm giving it an 7.25/10. It's a very good movie and the story was told in an interesting way, but it's not the most amazing story even, the themes weren't the best, and...how do I say this....a lot of time in the movie felt like it was meant for someone going into a movie theater with nothing else to do for the day, so you just sit there and try to be absorbed in the world because of all the background music and staring at characters/settings. That sort of movie will never be as one with pure content. It's a matter of the way the movie is shot.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 6/10

A mediocre mess that was improved on by the cinematography and acting performances. The writing was pretty shoddy in many areas. Rey is a boring protagonist.