Room 8 / 10

Pretty serious movie with some great acting (the child star did an amazing job).

Daddy's Home 5/10

Average comedy. Not great but had funny moments.

The Martian 9/10

Great movie overall. Well worth the watch.
    Last edited by quras; 2016-01-25 at 08:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Revenant - 8/10

This movie was nearly exactly what I expected. I expected a good movie with incredible performance by DiCaprio. What I truly did not expect was the incredible performance of Tom Hardy as well. Mark my words, these guys will each get their Oscar for this.

The bear scene is unlike anything I've ever seen. I was just stunned. What a performance.
    Hi

15+ Year Old Account
    Pacific Rim - 9.5/10

I was REALLY surprised, and in a very good way. Had no idea what this was about (not sure why but in my mind it was linked to Battleship, so I'd expect some really really terrible movie), after 5 minutes I was like "What? Evangelion clone?", but no, lots of similarities but a very different movie overall. Lots of really great ideas, especially loved the "2 pilots" one and what it implied. Perfect direction (didn't even know it was from Guillermo del Toro before launching it), great characters and perfect casting.

Also an awesome point about it, it's probably the first recent action movie in which I didn't notice ANY scene that were just shouting "hey look look, we can do 3D shit", which always take me completely out of the movie. I was 100% into it from the very beginning until the end (ending that was a bit predictable though).

I'm actually quite sad it was only one movie. Feels like this idea could have lasted for a few movies at least, digging more into characters, which would be really interesting with this mind link thingie and in a world where people learned to live in constant fear of destruction.

I'll definitely watch it again.

(Also, perfect kind of movie to watch on a 140" screen)
    Oh, hi.

Stood in the Fire Grapefruitsnz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lazer Team - 9/10

Saw this earlier today at one of the hosted screenings and thoroughly enjoyed it. This relatively unknown film is the Rooster Teeth sci fi/comedy film they kickstarted online a few years back.

Saw it with people who had little to no knowledge of Rooster Teeth or any of the people involved who also enjoyed the film. Some references will go over peoples heads who aren't familiar with the Rooster Teeth gang but the comedy and visual and prop effects were great for what is a Youtube channels project.

Highly recommend for cinema viewing or the home media releases when they come.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Pacific Rim - 9.5/10
    Not sure if it's a go yet. But I have read that the producer wants to team up with the producers of the latest Godzilla flick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool Cat saves the kids... I'm gonna use Mangaminx rating system. -8/10 retarded cats that look like psychopaths.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

The Finest Hours - 2/10

Boring. Bad acting, terrible accents, sloppy direction. Hokey and cheesy too.

It really is not necessary to inject a love story in 90% of films. Stop with this sentimental, sappy bullshit already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently somewhere whipping Portuguese prisoners
    The Revenant - 9.5/10

What can I say? Great filming, amazing sound, great acting from DiCaprio and Tom Hardy.

A breathtaking spectacle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Oldboy (2013) - 4/10

Felt like a totally unnecessary remake. At absolutely no point in the movie I saw anything that seemed better than the original. I never felt any connection with any character, which is a BIG issue in a psychological movie such as the original. Changes in the story makes almost every single key point of the plot unbelievable. And products placements, no, just no, especially when the script feels twisted around it at some times.

Would have probably said 5/10 if it wasn't a remake, but it deserves to automagically lose a point because of the fact that it's a failed remake. I love remakes that adds something, not those that are inferior in everything.

Mega Shark vs. Mecha Shark - 5.5/10
    I don't get the terrible rating on IMDB for these movies, they know what they're doing, and they're doing it in a great way. And sometimes it's really good to watch a movie that is made to be bad. Syfy used to be bad at making bad movies, but they really got the hang of it in the past few years and a lot of these are quite fun to watch.

3rd movie in the series, with some fun references to the previous ones too, acting was not too bad for Syfy.

Mega Shark vs. Kolossus - 6.5/10

4th movie in the series, and I have to say I laughed quite a lot. They had some really great ideas, like covering a gigantic shark with a US flag for it to be considered an enemy by an even more gigantic kind of robot made by Russia.
    Oh, hi.

Kung Fu Panda 3 – 6/10

It's cute and well made. Funny enough. My son loved it and I am sure he barely understood anything happening beyond the colorful slapstick.

Deleted
    By the way, forgot that I launched Battleship not long before Pacific Rim. That movie was so bad I had totally forgotten I had already watched it. Stopped after a few minutes but it reminded me of how terrible this was. Looked like some brainless ad/propaganda for military, but done in such a horrible way that it almost felt like an insult to veterans. Guess I'd go for a 2/10, because some parts were visually interesting, but that's really it. Nothing makes sense, absolutely nothing (that first imdb review is a perfect example of it).
    if you ignore the stupid love story overtones, the bad dialogue and the terrible science (yeah, frequency analyser can really let you use your mobile phone to ring a ship at sea ) and watch it for an alien invasion movie, it is not that bad. Not brilliant, but not bad.

Anyway,
    Slowly working my way through my catalogue of movies since I got my projector set up and decided to watch
    Blade Runner Solid 8/10
    easily one of the best sci fi movies I have ever seen, even though it is over 30 years old, the remastered directors cut does a phenomenal job of drawing you in. Highly recommend anyone who has never seen it (why not ?? are you mad ?) to watch it.

- - - Updated - - -

if you like "The Asylum" movies, especially the creature feature ones, then keep your eye out for sharktopus in particular.

Saw the Revenant today.

Definitely not my genre. Maybe it's just too artsy-fartsy for me but I was napping half the time.
    Give it a 5 for Tom Hardy.

The Ridiculous 6 - 6/10

Honestly I was surprised by this movie, since I expected it to be crap, but it kept me laughing. I kinda stopped watching comedy films (I watch stand-up for laughs) because they didn't seem that funny to me anymore.
    I'm happy with this movie, but the comedy scene still have a way to go imo.

The Martian 9/10

Very good movie. Definitely one of my favorites of '15.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Little Matchgirl (Disney Short Films Collection) - 9/10

Bloody hell

/wrists

I've been feeling like a good detective thriller movie for awhile, I love a good detective film except I've seen most of the more well known ones (silence of the lambs, Seven etc) anybody got any more less known good ones?

Watched one of Denzel's earlier work with Fallen. I was enjoying it until it went....religious.

Star Wars 7 - 9/10
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

Anomalisa- 3/10

Just not a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 4KhazModan View Post
    Anomalisa- 3/10

Just not a good movie.
    Definitely not for everyone.

Steve Jobs (2015) - 8/10
    A late addition to my top ten movies of 2015, but I really enjoyed this movie, especially the writing. Very interesting and unique film with a different spin on Steve Jobs than you might think going in. Highly recommend people watch it.

The Revenant, the big short and the Steve jobs movie. Great films with good actors and stories. I hate apple and Steve jobs but it was a great movie. I really like Michael Fassbinder's acting.