Saw "Hitch" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386588/) last night. Although it was a good movie that made me laugh, it was sadly way too predictable to be a great movie. I don't think I'd give it more than 7/10

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    No it wasnt. It was a critical and commercial failure. What are you talking about? Its not even getting a sequel

Ghostbusters (2016)

Domestic Total Gross: $128,350,574

Production Budget: $144 million

It didnt even break even on domestic and with Foreign it only made $229,147,509 world wide.

Guardians vol 1 made $773,328,629 world wide with budget of $170 million.

Source http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel2014a.htm
    Commercial success still doesn't equate quality.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Commercial success still doesn't equate quality.
    Thats why I said commercial AND critical. IE loved by critics. Nice back peddling when met with facts you cant deny.

And while movies can be trash and still sell well, they are a product at the end of the day and sales is a good indiction of what is popular, So to give popular stuff 2/10 makes no sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats why I said commercial AND critical. IE loved by critics. Nice back peddling when met with facts you cant deny.

And while movies can be trash and still sell well, they are a product at the end of the day and sales is a good indiction of what is popular, So to give popular stuff 2/10 makes no sense.
    It makes more sense than liking a movie just because it's popular.

It makes more sense than liking a movie just because it's popular.
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gua...of_the_galaxy/

91% positive reviews for guardians.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016

73% positive reviews for ghostbusters (hmm higher than I thought)

Quote Originally Posted by A Couple of Things Nice View Post
    It's odd then that you'd rate it below decent. If it's decent, a neutral 5 would be warranted. And if anything above decent, at least a 6!

4 = below average, 5 = neutral, neither good nor bad, 6 = above average. No?
    You must be new here.
    Lols. @hellhamster knows what's up. My scale is a bit...different. 4.5 is pretty high. The reason is because I think the movie is a bit niche.

He gave guardians of the galaxy vol 1 a 2/10. I wouldn't expect any kinda non biased reviews from him

The movie was a critical and commercial success.
    (Ohhhh a premonition. This weekend I'm going Florida, and I plan to see Guardians of the Galaxy 2 at Disney theaters there, probably.) I'll make it a point to go just so I can give it a rating in this thread, just for you.

Kekekeke at you still arguing this. Go to my rating and point out which criticisms I gave of the movie that were incorrect, and maybe we can talk.

I bet next you'll tell me that Burger King is 10/10 and I'm complete trash with a worthless opinion if I don't think the same. Because their chicken sandwich got some good reviews and they're commercially successful, amrite?

10+ Year Old Account
    I, um... had some free time?

Collatoral Beauty: 6 ~ 10 Disappointing. I was expecting to be more emotionally manipulated.

Don't Breathe: 8 ~ 10 I may have gagged at some point.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them: 6 ~ 10 I liked Fogler, Murray and Waterston, but I was just so damn bored.

I Spit on Your Grave 2: 1 ~ 10 Not as shocking or intentionally hilarious as the 2010 remake.

I Spit on Your Grave III: Vengeance Is Mine: 1 ~ 10 Stupid waste of time.

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back: 3 ~ 10 Bleh. No more, please.

Joy: 1 ~ 10 It's about a mop.

Lion: 9 ~ 10 I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's not like this turned me into a blubbering boogery mess, like, at all. Shut up! I'm not crying, you're crying. Baby.

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates: 6 ~ 10 I loves me some Anna Kendrick.

Neighbors 2: 5 ~ 10 Not as fun, funny, or crude as the first one.

Sinister 2: 1 ~ 10 I kept asking if the first movie needed a sequel, and if it did, did it need to be so shit?

The Bay: 7.5 ~ 10 Surprisingly solid addition to the played out found footage horror formula.

The Bronze: 6 ~ 10 A bit more mean-spirited than I was in the mood for. My crush on Rauch nets a bonus point.

The Jungle Book: 8 ~ 10 I had way too much fun for what amounted to watching a boy in his underwear jump around a green screen set for 100 minutes.

The VVitch: 8 ~ 10 Wonderfully creepy. Fucking goat. Fuck that goat. Fuck you, goat.

Zootopia: 8 ~ 10 I really liked it, but damn it was preachy. Also, "Try Everything" sends the wrong message, unless that message is about anal.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Wouldn't it make more sense to change to a different scale, then? Because, I mean, 4.5 on a 10 scale is always going to be below the mid-value, and thus a negative score. That's kind of how numerical scales work, no? A 1-10 scale doesn't really mean anything if a low number is a positive score. Could just as well rate a movie ∆/10. "I felt the movie was definitely a triangle quality wise!"

That's super confusing!
    You're right, based on an average person's scale. But there are probably tens of thousands of movies in the world. If I used a normal scale, I'd have to give every movie with a $10+ million budget a minimum of 5 based on "not garbage" quality alone. Not only that, there are so many movies (and books and TV) with the same cliche troupes and stories that are just boringly predictable to watch. I don't like watching someone reinvent the wheel; I just can't award movies that do the same stories that previous movies have done, just repackaged.

For those reasons, my scale leans heavily toward low ratings, with truly outstanding movies getting above 7.

Life: C-grade copy of the original Alien. Worse in probably every imaginable aspect. 38 years later and... yeah.. that's what they came up with. Complete waste of time, do yourself a favor and either (re)watch Alien or something else.

Deleted
    Predestination - 7.5/10

A complete mindfuck of timetravel. Good acting non the less.

Guess who has an extra week to write the machine learning classifier and implement it into a java rest API because the stupid clients fucked up the training data~! This guy. I'll try to keep these old movie posts brief.

The Man from Earth
    IMO, watch "The Man From Earth" asap
    The Man From Earth.

It wasn't really a thriller. It's more like this guy reveals something about himself, and spends the rest of the movie in a room with some people defending and explaining himself to skeptical experts in fields.

The conversation and concept was a bit intriguing, but I didn't find it that amazing. Particularly, it becomes a bit repetitive since the guy's guests keep asking similar questions and switch from expressing interest to expressing disbelief too often.

As far as the "movie" aspect goes, it's pretty low quality. I get that it's meant to be low budget and about concepts rather than CGI or effects, but even still...a lot of it looks grainy and meh.

Another thing is I'm not even sure it being a movie is the best format for it. I think if this was written as a story, I'd have read it and been just as content as seeing the movie. It being on a screen didn't add any emphasis for me.

I'll give it a 1/10 as a movie. Concept was interesting and some of the discussion points were a bit fun to think about, but on my scale...to rate it as a movie...it's eh.

Sleight 7/10

Someone coined it as Iron Man meets Chronicle, which is pretty spot on.

Writing wasn't really the strong point, sort of durdle around at times with a really cheesy Nickelodeon level plot, but the premise was fun, and the final act is interesting enough anyhow.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    The Man From Earth.

It wasn't really a thriller. It's more like this guy reveals something about himself, and spends the rest of the movie in a room with some people defending and explaining himself to skeptical experts in fields.

The conversation and concept was a bit intriguing, but I didn't find it that amazing. Particularly, it becomes a bit repetitive since the guy's guests keep asking similar questions and switch from expressing interest to expressing disbelief too often.

As far as the "movie" aspect goes, it's pretty low quality. I get that it's meant to be low budget and about concepts rather than CGI or effects, but even still...a lot of it looks grainy and meh.

Another thing is I'm not even sure it being a movie is the best format for it. I think if this was written as a story, I'd have read it and been just as content as seeing the movie. It being on a screen didn't add any emphasis for me.

I'll give it a 1/10 as a movie. Concept was interesting and some of the discussion points were a bit fun to think about, but on my scale...to rate it as a movie...it's eh.
    The Man from Earth is probably the best movie ever considering the budget and the outcome.

Anyways, just watched Hidden Figures 8/10.

I really liked it even though the segregation thing played a bit too big of a role on it. Also it was nowhere near historically accurate, but it's understandable to do so to make it more interesting a movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Sand Castle 6/10

PS. I thought for halfway through the movie that the Tom Hardy doppelganger was Tom Hardy.
    I was wondering why he'd looked so much smaller. At the end i was like... Logan who now?

- - - Updated - - -

Brie larson in a tank top though.
    I was disappoint when she came out of the water and wasn't nippin'. 6/10

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    OldBoy is fucked up.
    But Lizzie Olsen's tits are amaze.

- - - Updated - - -

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind - is a pretty good movie, but left me completely emotionally drained and kind of melancholic
    One of my top 10 evah. Really one of those movies that you just... GETS YOU.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I was wondering why he'd looked so much smaller. At the end i was like... Logan who now?
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Saved 5 mill on the budget with that casting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post

But Lizzie Olsen's tits are amaze.
    You are triggering me if you think he's mentioning the americanized bullshit version.

I mean, it wasn't THAT bad, but it had about 3% of the original Korean version's powerlevel.

You are triggering me if you think he's mentioning the americanized bullshit version.

I mean, it wasn't THAT bad, but it had about 3% of the original Korean version's powerlevel.
    The chick in the korean version is also worth a throw, no diggity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 (Spoiler free)
    7/10

See I overall enjoyed this movie while not as good as the first movie (the first Guardians of the Galaxy I gave an 8/10) There was still more to love than hate.

What I hated....

The first 45 minutes of this movie is an edited mess its skips from one place to another with very little establishment.

It relies too heavily on the comedy aspect from the first movie, so much so that it alienates Drax, who seems to be even more of a buffoon in this movie than he was in the previous.

Some pointless side stroylines that come to no conclusion like the argument between Rocket and Starlord. I for the most part felt I didn't mind the side stories as much

Baby Groot. Yes I am a cold hearted bastard lol. I really do not give a damn about this too cute character, he irritated me to the worst degree. He felt a hindrance on the whole plot.

What I liked

There was an obvious theme to this move I thought and that was of family and friendship, at least thats what I picked up. and while it did coem across a bit forced I still enjoyed it

Some of the other stars in this movie like Kurt Russel and Sylvester Stallone did their parts well too.

Michael Rooker as Yondu,. This was his movie. He was so good. Every scene he was in I loved to death.

The feels. I loved some of the emotion this movie gave me towards the end. Holy moly, if Logan wasnt bad enough I had to endure it here too lol.

The scenes with Gamora and Nebula, these two were just great, We explored more of Nebula's back story, and its actually pretty good, you kind of understand why this woman is so pissed at her sister.

The music. Once again music kicks it out the park, I swear GotG just plays my 70/80's playlists lol. I am just sitting in the cinema nodding along lol.
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-05-04 at 07:03 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Winter's Bone (2010) - 8/10

There isn't anything fancy about this movie, at all. But, what does this movie do: it tells a story. From start to finish the movie tells a story. Reminds me of why I fell in love with movies in the first place.

Things to note:
    - the story isn't exciting.
    - the acting is ok.
    - there are no special effects.