10+ Year Old Account
    So I watched pretty much every singe Halloween movie over the weekend since I have never seen them.

Halloween (1978) : Pretty decent for a movie in 78, but the horror was still kinda topical and I saw the movie coming in thinking that Michael was a ordinary human. I was wrong. B-

Halloween II (1981) : This was a direct followup on the same Halloween night. The movie wasn't as good and I found my self getting bored at parts since it took place in a hospital where there are no nurses and doctors for some reason. C-

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982) : Skipped because it has nothing to do with Michael Myers or the franchise. F

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) : This was my favorite movie in the series. The child actors were very good at their job and it had that 80's atmosphere that I remember from my child hood. The ending is pretty unsettling and MM is pretty terrifying. I now knew MM was in fact a symbol if evil and not some human being. B+

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989) : A direct sequel to the previous movie. To be honest I felt this film tried to hard to get into the mythology regarding MM with its mysticism. I was also pretty bored and dozed off at parts. C

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995) : This was awful. Not only did they take the backstory to a new level, but the story itself was convoluted and full of plot holes. It really didnt make much sense. Again the backstory behind MM took another turn for the worse with these cultist and magic. D

Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998) : A pretty decent slash movie to be honest; but I didn't like the fact that it seems to not refer to the older movies at all. In fact at some points it almost is as though they never happened. It was nice to see JLC reprise her roll. C+

Halloween: Resurrection (2002) : Another bad movie and this time it plays on the Reality craze during the early 2000's. I just found it silly and corny. You know they are running out of ideas and new ways for MM to kill people i this film. Acting was also pretty fucking awful and it almost turned the movie into a dark comedy. D

Ill save the Rob Zombie ones for next year.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2018-09-10 at 08:17 PM.

Deadpool 2 - 6/10

Some funn, good fights, Domino was fun, etc.

Deleted
    Deadpool 2 7/10 first one was better. Lot of repeated jokes, story didnt really make sense.
    Ready Player One: 9/10. Awesome. Very reckognizable, plausible future scenario, good CGI and good ammount of humour.

Solo: A Star Wars Story - 3/10

Didnt really know what to rate it, didnt want to just come off as another edgy star wars hater. The movie just bored me straight from the start. Very generic action sequences and "look at me im the hero". Emilia Clarke just cannot act, she over acts in every scene she may as well be in a fairy tale movie. It felt artificial from the start I couldnt be bothered and switched it off, disappointing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Very generic action sequences and "look at me im the hero"
    over acts in every scene
    fairy tale movie
    felt artificial from the start
    So, just another Star Wars movie?
    Oh, hi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mandy (2018): 9/10

A bizarre and superbly stylized Refn/Lynch crossbreed with a little bit of the ultraviolence and oversaturated 80's occult B-movie vibe. Nic Cage in top form. Johannsson's carmen cygni is a vaporwave à la doom metal soundtrack. Like, what the fuck.

Crazy shit happening at the slowest pace imaginable. Subconscious imprinting. Purple and red everywhere. King Crimson FUCKING FINALLY HOLY SHIT in a movie, fuck Robert Fripp's copyright autism, he should get his god tier music in more movies. Animated shorts in between scenes to further expand the absurdity. Tripping. Fucking. Balls. (No LSD is required for the viewing of this film).
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2018-09-15 at 10:27 PM.

I knew Mandy was gonna be kick ass,

Made a thread for it ages ago on here but because it wasnt marvel or star wars no one was interested

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew Mandy was gonna be kick ass,

Made a thread for it ages ago on here but because it wasnt marvel or star wars no one was interested
    I can guarantee you there's not many people who will have the stomache for it on this site. My score is reflected mainly by its impressionable and intrinsic artistic value, this is not a "normal moviegoer's" movie by any means.

For comparison's sakes, the most similar movie would be Refn's Valhalla Rising.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2018-09-15 at 10:45 PM.

Jurassic World: The Fallen Kingdom - 6.5/10

It's dumb entertainment, plain and simple. Even the original doesn't age very well in my book, and it was one of the first movies that I was old enough to understand. The scene with the dinosaur looking at the ship as it left was too much for my feels though, I ain't ashamed to admit. I appreciate that they show more emotion in the animals, but that's about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aliens: 5/10

What did the previous movie lack? THE MILITARY! What went from a run-of-the mill horror/monster movie got amped up with MORE MONSTERS! Hence the plural in the title I suppose? The movie lacks a lot of the shock value of its predecessor in favor of ACTION! And frankly, the action isn't all that good. The xenomorphs were definitely less scary and the "bad guy" was still really the "evil corporation" again. Overall a step down from the original, for mostly the obvious reasons. There's some good character development for Ripley here though, as we're definitely seeing a woman with some severe PTSD, who wills herself to overcome it so save people. Yes this time more than just Ripley survives, so ya know, mission accomplished I guess?

Alien3: 6/10
    What did the first movie, AND the second movie lack? No, not more guns. Nope, not a motley crew. Yep if you were guessing religion then you sir are a winner! Oh, what's that? You weren't guessing religion? Yeah neither was I. Alien3 improves over Aliens in that it takes the focus away from the "shoot-em-up" action approach. It re-focuses on a different type of motley crew, yes I wasn't guessing "murderers and rapists" either. Sadly, for "murderers and rapists" they don't seem to be very good at murdering. At one point a guy even takes a brick to the back of the head and walks it off a little while later. Though you may have seen this one coming, what also got added to this movie is CGI! Yes this time the alien largely appears as a CGI creature, and looking back, it's pretty bad CGI. Though we are back to one xenomorph and I think that does the movie credit, the rest of the movie is pretty shit. Oh, did we mention that they killed everyone Ripley saved? Also, spoiler: Ripley dies.

Alien Resurrection: 7/10
    Well apparently they figured out how to make a movie again, so that's good. Though the military is involved we've doubled back to "creepy scientists" which frankly is always a good setup for a monster movie. The military plays a largely background role and most of them get murdered horribly in rather "off screen" ways. We've once again got ourselves a motley crew of characters and like the movie before it we've got some rather quality actors. There are multiple aliens again but they don't really show up in numbers greater than 2, which I think helps in keeping them feel "scary". All in all the movie takes what all its predecessors did right, and puts them all together. Also: Creepy Ripley is best Ripley. The weirdest part is that, like some of the newer movies, this one takes a bit more of a philosophical tone in places, not the weird preachy religious shit of Alien3, but just something more of a "what is life", "what is it to be human", "personal identity" deal.

Really it's the only Alien movie worth rewatching. The rest are good but limited in their vision.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Hereditary - 1/10: What a complete pile of shit this movie is. Awful editing, overacting, a completely directionless, meandering story that has one of the flat out dumbest wrap up's I've ever witnessed. Even the score is a sub-par rip off of The Shining.

I will say this though: I laughed way too hard at the idea that the dumb fuck son swan dives out the window [U]not[/U] at the vision of his mother sawing her own head off, but at the Kenny Rogers doppleganger in the corner with his junk flapping in the breeze.
    Last edited by melodramocracy; 2018-09-16 at 03:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    I get that you're trying to be an edgelord, but you're not going to succeed in snagging anyone by rating alien resurrection higher than aliens. It's too obvious a trollmove.
    *shrug* read it however you like. The old movies are old, and they don't hold up well. Alien Resurrection plays to what Alien did right: scary aliens, motley crew, locked in a spaceship. Aliens added boring military action with all the boring military action tropes, and 3 went with some weirdo religious garbage. Like seriously did we need an almost rape scene of Ripley to prove they're rapists? It's not like they don't remind us that they're murderers and rapists every other fucking line. Aliens military hoo-haw is on par with Starship Troopers, complete with generic hot badass latina chick (played by a white lady of course) and goddamnit can someone just shoot Private Hudson?

Oh and lets not forget to sex up Ripley a bit 'cause you know what this movie needs in addition to murderers who suck at murderering, nearly-raping the main character, oh that's right it needs a "Ripley is a woman therefore she has "needs" that in the middle of a crisis she really needs satisfied."

Hey I love me a classic movie now and then, and they were probably good back in the day, but they're pretty tropey and bland.

- - - Updated - - -

Wild Wild West: 5/10

This movie isn't particularly bad it's just dumb. I suppose it would be a fine foundation for a Deadlands campaign. Giant robot spider tanks, wild west shenanigans, steampunk, a flag with a spider on it? Throw in a little Lovecraftian horror and you've got a great adventure setup. Aside from that, the movie is pretty lame. There's a good reason so few of the actors were ever in anything else. Still, it's enjoyable if you're bored (and a little drunk). The nostalgia goggles certainly don't do much for it though.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    There's a good reason so few of the actors were ever in anything else.
    What...

Will smith
    Kevin Kline
    Selma hayek
    Emmett Walsh
    Ted Levine
    The main cast has been in a literal shit ton of movies. That particular movie is pretty bad. But your statement is either obvious troll or spoken out of clear ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    What...

Will smith
    Kevin Kline
    Those two nearly got no movie offers after that trainwreck. Hell, it took Smith years to get a decent one, and i haven't really heard from Kline since.
    Just about everybody needed years to salvage their rep and get back to the big movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    Those two nearly got no movie offers after that trainwreck. Hell, it took Smith years to get a decent one, and i haven't really heard from Kline since.
    Just about everybody needed years to salvage their rep and get back to the big movies.
    Kevin Kline maybe so but he had already made his hay and was at the tail end of his career and has mainly played smaller parts. Will smith though bagger Vance. Ali.i robot bad boys 2. Starred in about a movie a year from 2000 to 2010. They aren't all home runs but hardly struggling to find work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    *shrug* read it however you like. The old movies are old, and they don't hold up well. Alien Resurrection plays to what Alien did right: scary aliens, motley crew, locked in a spaceship. Aliens added boring military action with all the boring military action tropes, and 3 went with some weirdo religious garbage. Like seriously did we need an almost rape scene of Ripley to prove they're rapists? It's not like they don't remind us that they're murderers and rapists every other fucking line. Aliens military hoo-haw is on par with Starship Troopers, complete with generic hot badass latina chick (played by a white lady of course) and goddamnit can someone just shoot Private Hudson?

Oh and lets not forget to sex up Ripley a bit 'cause you know what this movie needs in addition to murderers who suck at murderering, nearly-raping the main character, oh that's right it needs a "Ripley is a woman therefore she has "needs" that in the middle of a crisis she really needs satisfied."

Hey I love me a classic movie now and then, and they were probably good back in the day, but they're pretty tropey and bland.
    The thing is most old movies have trops because they invented that trops...
    But you lost me already at "they dont hold up well".
    Some friends never saw Alien and so we watched it on Blue Ray. The first question was why a movie from 1978 looks better than modern Scifi movies.
    The end fight in Aliens still looks insanely good, the Alien Queen is with the JP T-Rex the prime of Animatronics.
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2018-09-16 at 11:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    The thing is most old movies have trops because they invented that trops...
    But you lost me already at "they dont hold up well".
    Some friends never saw Alien and so we watched it on Blue Ray. The first question was why a movie from 1978 looks better than modern Scifi movies.
    The end fight in Aliens still looks insanely good, the Alien Queen is with the JP T-Rex the prime of Animatronics.
    I agree that the costumes are great work and much better quality than a lot of CGI.

But "looking better" and "being better" are not the same thing. I'm judging the movies from a now perspective, not a then perspective.

Most of my dislike of Aliens comes from the heavier military garbage that takes up well, pretty much everything up to the final fight. The final fight is great, but it's not enough IMO to outweigh the earlier focus on "action" over horror.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2018-09-17 at 01:21 AM.

Just, be kind.

You guys are talking about one movie named "Aliens"? I wanna play (even though I'm fucking busy), do I need to watch any prequels or can I watch just the movie itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    You guys are talking about one movie named "Aliens"? I wanna play (even though I'm fucking busy), do I need to watch any prequels or can I watch just the movie itself?
    You dont need to watch Alien also Aliens is even better if you didnt watched Alien. More WTF moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    You dont need to watch Alien also Aliens is even better if you didnt watched Alien. More WTF moments.
    Its not really advisable to skip Alien, you miss ripleys character progression, and there are references to the first one in aliens and while theyre not vital it would be annoying knowing you're missing references.

And alien is way better than aliens. Aliens is just louder with more machine guns and "bad guys". Alien is better shot and holds tension better while showing less of the actual alien.

Alien is more of a horror, aliens is more like die hard