First Avatar was a tech demo for 3D, I would not go watch the second with any other expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    First Avatar was a tech demo for 3D, I would not go watch the second with any other expectation.
    I did not watch the first until it was on streaming. So, I didn't have any expectations coming into the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Imagine calling James Cameron a "Tech Demo" director.

Movie Title: The Shawshank Redemption
    Rating (10 of 10)
    Review : I thought the acting was superb and the story was very well-written and engaging. It was a classic film that I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys dramas

10+ Year Old Account
    The Nightmare Before Christmas — 8/10

A middle aged menace spent decades terrorizing local inhabitants of a small village. Reflecting upon his life he decides its time to make amends for his horrible past. Jack S Eleton recruits his closest friends to put on a holiday celebration for the neighboring village like no other. They sing and dance pieces from their local culture as they plan a Christmas celebration like no other.

But there's one small problem, the village has their own Christmas village and isn't welcoming to strangers after years of abuse. I won't spoil the rest but things escalate quickly. There kidnappings, flying dogs, tanks, and even a hot love story. Does Eleton and his crew put on the greatest Christmas celebration of all time or does it end in disaster? Check out the movie to find out!

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Avatar 2: The Way of the Water - 07/10

Points strictly for the cinematic experience in IMAX 3D. Very well done and immersive!

Story is a generic action movie for a hero couple protecting their children. I wasn't expecting something deep, by the way, but no reason to feel excited or appreciate what was expected, scenario wise.
    /spit@Blizzard

5+ Year Old Account
    The hobbit 10/10, unintentionally had a 2nd breakfast, was hungry n well it's christmas day

Outlaw King.

It's a braveheart sequel in all but name and i enjoyed it great performances and scenery. Not much for Chris Pine but he did a great job in this movie.

7.5/10
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

5/10 - They pretty much took the best two minutes and put it in his trailer.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Death on the Nile: 5/10 I liked the build up, but not the reveal.

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery: 7/10 I'm fine with more Benoit Blanc adventures, even if this one was just OK.

The Violence Action: 5/10 Meh. I get that they're going for style, but goddamn those wonky edits. The main three ladies were kawaii as hell.
    Last edited by Ayirasi; 2022-12-27 at 08:45 PM.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio - 8/10

Endearing film, thoroughly enjoyed it. The animations and models were superb. Not a fan of musicals, and when I heard the first song busting out I thought "oh ffs here we go" but actually the music was well done and didn't interfere with the film. Spur of the moment choice to watch it but I'm glad I did.

Babylon (2022) - 3.5/10

Easily the worst movie I've seen this year. A good demonstration that cinematic diarrhea and a packed cast can still make an awful, pointless movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Banshees of Inisherin: 9/10

Probably the best movie of the year. Loved the symbolism.

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

I honestly believe the intention of the film was to kill off the franchise. The movie was creatively bankrupt; pandering homoerotic fanfiction. They could have just made a movie called The Secrets of Dumbledore. Such a disappointing continuation of the story from previous movies in the franchise, if you can even call it that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by algold View Post
    The Departed 8/10
    a film i like to re watch every few years.

- - - Updated - - -

The Frighteners (1996)

A great spooky film with MJ Fox. Man I miss him from old movies. The CGI held up surprisingly well and overall great film 8/10

The 4K transfer also a good one.
    The Departed! The first time I watched this I was high with my friends at the theatre. The whole movie I thought the characters were the same person. I was confused why he was chasing after himself. The whole movie, i thought it was some psychological split personality or something

10+ Year Old Account
    Well 2022 is nearly over and before it ends I found the worst movie I have seen of this year.

Medieval
    Score: 3/10

Sadly I hoped I would have liked this movie, a movie called Medieval based on one of my favourite eras of human history, how can you go wrong? Well this movie finds a way.

The movie is just slow, plodding and very dull. The action is fine if not very choppy. The editing just seems all over the place too, some scenes are paced well while others go by very quickly.

None of the characters seem very well developed, we do not spend long enough with them to have any investment. As well as the lead character who is just as well might have been a robot, lacks any emotion or character traits, he is so one note. Things happen around this character and he doesn't flinch and it boggles my mind, because if he doesn't feel anythign about these things why should I? Sophie Lowe and Sir Michael Caine are the only actors to really show some effort and urgency in their roles. I couldn't tell you anything about anyone else.

The sets are nice but you never hang around long enough to really soak in the locations. Nothing in this movie has time to breathe and sink in, even when there is some character development and time to settle it doesn't feel like its earned or its just exposition.

Its a interesting premise with no real soul or heart. I was ready to turn off so close to the end.

One compliment I will add is the costumes were really nice and the set design, when they were around them long enough to admire, were good too, and some of the action was brutally satisfying in places. But it was so hard to have to admire all of that while slugging through this movie.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-12-31 at 11:04 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Memory - 6.5/10

It's a movie starring Liam Neeson. I'm fairly certain everybody knows what to expect by now, all the setups and emotional punches are always the same.

There is a bit of a twist at the end (for once) Liam dies before Alzheimer's can take his mind, so I gave this movie an extra point and a half for not being completely automatically generated.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    The Banshees of Inisherin: 9/10

Probably the best movie of the year. Loved the symbolism.
    Check out Decision to Leave.

Enola Holmes: 3/10
    It felt to me that the main actress was left without direction and that Cavill was just here as a token. It never felt like a puzzle nor was it in any way that mattered a Sherlock Holmes related story. Even the dreadful Holmes and Watson felt more enjoyable. Having good actors like Bonham Carter on such a small role was kind of hard, especially when Bobby Brown plays this badly the main character.

Rosaline: 4/10
    Dever plays her character very well though everything in this movie is what you would find in a 17years old schoolgirl fan fiction. The stereotypes are overbearing, let it be the soldier boy who refuses to wear a shirt, the token "gay" character, the stoned delivery boy, the way too diversed cast, etc.

Everything Everywhere All at Once: 10/10

Now that's a movie cranked up to eleven. Best acting Michelle Yeoh has ever done. I've read sometime that Hong Kongers live such busy lifes that they need every possible emotion in their movies when they have time to watch one. Everything Everywhere All at Once is hilariously absurd and deeply emotional, funny, sad, exhilarating. Title is on point.

Movie might not be for everyone and I'm not going to describe at all what it is about, just watch it if you love cinema.

White Noise - 5/10

I usually enjoy Noah Baumbach films but I guess either this one wasn't for me, or I wasn't clever enough to understand the point. Some solid acting, funny moments, and well-spoken dialogue in between an overarching plotline and narrative I didn't fully get the point of.