Thread: Minimalistic UI

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Minimalistic UI

Hey guys. I, as many others, dislike clutter. My screen needs room to breath. I've been trying to form a minimal UI, but I just started focusing on addons so I'm not very proficient with them. I've used them plenty before, but just minor addons. I've seen one UI that really caught my eye and it was Zag's UI. I tried to download one of his UIs dated 5/2/10 and my UI did change, but I had to switch to Zag's using relux and when I did, it didn't change into the correct UI, it stayed the same.

The file contained a WTF, Fonts, and Interface. WTF and Interface replaced their correct folders, but font was nowhere to be found in my folder so it replaced nothing. It would be great if you guys could help me get a minimal UI similar to Zag's. I'm actually going to sleep when I post this so I hope you guys give me some helpful responses for me to see tomorrow! Thanks !

Skullflower's UI over at WoWInterface is pretty minimalistic, looks pretty and is quite easy to get everything set up.

TukUI is a really nice and easy minimalistic UI to use
    <start epic wow theme>
    A world of limitless adventure. We cast the lords of shadow and flame back into the abyss.
    <more epic wow theme>
    We held the line against the rising tide of death itself.
    <epic music peaks>
    We have endured the breaking of the world.Now we face the Destroyer and we will end him.
    <cue Bennny Hill music>Pandas! Pokemon!

10+ Year Old Account
    The best way to go minimalistic is really to build your own from scratch. Even in the WoWinterface UI's there is almost always something you don't need or won't use. Make a list of addons you must have figure out where on your screen they will be the most optimal then slowly start moving things around. I've redone my UI probably a good 50 times using all kinds of UI packages and pre-composed files. In the end I deleted everything grabbed Bartender and kgpanels and just made my own UI. It has everything I need where I want it with nothing extra bogging it down.
    I like waffles!

Quote Originally Posted by dowz0r View Post
    Hey guys. I, as many others, dislike clutter. My screen needs room to breath. I've been trying to form a minimal UI, but I just started focusing on addons so I'm not very proficient with them. I've used them plenty before, but just minor addons. I've seen one UI that really caught my eye and it was Zag's UI. I tried to download one of his UIs dated 5/2/10 and my UI did change, but I had to switch to Zag's using relux and when I did, it didn't change into the correct UI, it stayed the same.

The file contained a WTF, Fonts, and Interface. WTF and Interface replaced their correct folders, but font was nowhere to be found in my folder so it replaced nothing. It would be great if you guys could help me get a minimal UI similar to Zag's. I'm actually going to sleep when I post this so I hope you guys give me some helpful responses for me to see tomorrow! Thanks !
    If you tell us your Main's Class we could probably give you more focused suggestions
    Druid Paladin Priest Warlock Death Knight Hunter Mage Shaman Warrior Rogue Legendary Epic Superior Uncommon Common Poor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
    2016: Blizzard builds their new HQ on the moon

Quote Originally Posted by khanggaroo View Post
    Skullflower's UI over at WoWInterface is pretty minimalistic, looks pretty and is quite easy to get everything set up.
    Uh, I'm on a macbook and the file is downloading as an audio file...? The fuck..

---------- Post added 2010-12-04 at 03:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zakayron View Post
    If you tell us your Main's Class we could probably give you more focused suggestions
    Fire mage

I strongly recommend that you go check out wowinterface and their compilation section. Only way to find one that you really like. Heres a link directly to it

As for the other issues you had, are you sure that you typed in the /reflux switch command correctly? It is case specific so zagui does not equal ZagUI.

Also, the FONT folder replaces the fonts that wow actually uses, so that you don't need an addon to change the fonts in the UI. The shortest explanation for how it works is that WoW has folders that is stored within the game files itself. If it detects the existence of a folder like font or glues, then it will use those files instead of the built-in files.

People seem to like TukUI a lot. I personally like SkybreakerUI a lot. (not necessarily minimalistic by definition, but I find I like it regardless.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    I strongly recommend that you go check out wowinterface and their compilation section. Only way to find one that you really like. Heres a link directly to it

As for the other issues you had, are you sure that you typed in the /reflux switch command correctly? It is case specific so zagui does not equal ZagUI.

Also, the FONT folder replaces the fonts that wow actually uses, so that you don't need an addon to change the fonts in the UI. The shortest explanation for how it works is that WoW has folders that is stored within the game files itself. If it detects the existence of a folder like font or glues, then it will use those files instead of the built-in files.

People seem to like TukUI a lot. I personally like SkybreakerUI a lot. (not necessarily minimalistic by definition, but I find I like it regardless.

Hope that helps
    Yea I made sure to tpye it in correctly... I even copy pasted it and it didn't work. I just downloaded tukui and it seems to be nice. gonna test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    I strongly recommend that you go check out wowinterface and their compilation section. Only way to find one that you really like.
    Most of their "Minimalist" UIs are far from minimal...

http://forums.wowace.com/showthread....1799&page=1132

fair warning. this is where the UI geeks hang out. some of them will NOT give you their UI...they will tell you how they made things tho. but hands down, this is where the really good ideas are.

Which is why I said he should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by shocktopuslol View Post
    Yeah, TukUI is great for the minimalist who loves to customize and enjoys a pretty UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandeth View Post
    Yeah, TukUI is great for the minimalist who loves to customize and enjoys a pretty UI.

Please. No more promoting TukUI and the 1500 clones it's generated. It's really saturating the available UI's and is flat out destroying the creativity of the UI community atm. Let it die.

Quote Originally Posted by shocktopuslol View Post
    i 2nd tuk.

10+ Year Old Account
    TukUI is awesome if you like it minimalistic and also you're relieved the hassle of updating manually and adjusting addons after every patch.
    Just download the pack off of the site and you're ready to go.
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2010-12-04 at 04:49 PM.

Elv's UI(Tukui edit) > Tukui basic imo

Uh, I'm on a macbook and the file is downloading as an audio file...? The fuck..
    You need a .rar extension extractor in order to retrieve the files. Download one at http://rarlabs.com/download.htm

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a school macbook... god forbid that I would spend 900$ on a shitty laptop.
    Lets hope that's true then!

Quote Originally Posted by Skullflower View Post
    You need a .rar extension extractor in order to retrieve the files. Download one at http://rarlabs.com/download.htm
    This guy beat me to the solution, was thinking of it but with hungover mentality things don't work out as they should (Sound familiar? APPLEWARE!)

Hope it works out for you! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Skullflower View Post
    Already got one lol, thanks though.