Thread: Archaeology

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Archaeology

Bit fuzzy as to how archaeology actually works, I know there are different types of digs, troll, nelf, dorf, ect. and I believe there are items specific to digs, such as the 85 BoS version of Zin'Rokh would clearly be troll.

So I guess my question is, how exactly would Zin'Rokh or any SPECIFIC item be acquired? Do you combine X amount of fragments to make item 1, Y fragments for item 2, or some other way.

Any input from someone who leveled arch on beta would be appreciated.

each continent's world map will have 4 spots you can collect from,each site will have 3 picks,their "yours" and aren't in competition w/ others,each pick gives 2-6 fragments +chance for rare items
    first time you find fragments for a given race/group,it randomly picks an item you'll work on, until you complete that item its all your working on for that race,on some combines there will be sockets (usually 0-3),that you can add rare drops (green items found while collecting fragments) they count as 12 fragments progress each

you'll have a progress bar of how many fragments you've collected that are from that group, the first items are around 20-40,and give you a gray worth under a gold

you'll have a combine button to finish each item,consuming the appropriate # of fragments,and giving you the item,and then it'll pick a new focus for you to work on next

the BoA items are randomly chosen once your skill is into the range corresponding to item, from what they've posted each toon can only find each blue+ item 1 time,but some people in beta would complete tons and tons of greys/greens trying to get a blue/purple to pop for them as their next item,and never got one

so it doesn't seem to be a case where you can just complete all the grays to force the epic into consideration

Very very helpful information, thankyou very much for posting.

Just a little clarification:
    You always have 4 active digsites per Continent randomly on the map. The moment you finish one, a new one pops up. Digsites should not pop in Zones you cannot travel through safely with your character (especially interesting for low level Characters)

In Beta you could dig everywhere, but you could only finish Artifacts, if your skill is high enough for the race (Outlands 300, Northrend 375, Cataclysm 450)

You get a skillpoint for digging up to a skill of 100 (if i am not totally mistaken) and 5 points for completing an artifact.

Deleted
    Thanks for clearing up how archaeology worked, quite excited to get started digging!

mm

Do you get skillups for comleting crappy artifacts like fossil or dwarves all the way to 525?
    For example can I fily over kalimdor, digging those parts, getting to 100 with digs, then making artifacts to 525? Or I will need to go to Outlands and Northrend at some points?

you get 5/solve no matter if it is a common fossil artifact or an epic Nerubian You are not forced to go to outlands/northrend unless you want to

I have a long post on it in my blog you can find it here http://www.adahys.com/blog/?p=18

should answer most of your questions.

What i dont get is: you start to solve an artifact before you collect it and then you create it. And i saw some epics and gray artifacts which require the same archeology lvl and the same amount of fragments just the rare has +1 rare fragment. How to use that rare fragment that you would solve a rare artifact and that it wouldnt just use the fragment up as 12 normal pieces?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zbik View Post
    each continent's world map will have 4 spots you can collect from,each site will have 3 picks,their "yours" and aren't in competition w/ others,each pick gives 2-6 fragments +chance for rare items
    first time you find fragments for a given race/group,it randomly picks an item you'll work on, until you complete that item its all your working on for that race,on some combines there will be sockets (usually 0-3),that you can add rare drops (green items found while collecting fragments) they count as 12 fragments progress each

you'll have a progress bar of how many fragments you've collected that are from that group, the first items are around 20-40,and give you a gray worth under a gold

you'll have a combine button to finish each item,consuming the appropriate # of fragments,and giving you the item,and then it'll pick a new focus for you to work on next

the BoA items are randomly chosen once your skill is into the range corresponding to item, from what they've posted each toon can only find each blue+ item 1 time,but some people in beta would complete tons and tons of greys/greens trying to get a blue/purple to pop for them as their next item,and never got one

so it doesn't seem to be a case where you can just complete all the grays to force the epic into consideration
    If I could only understand this terribad English. Say what?

The rare artifacts or keystones are unique to each race. They are not soulbound and are tradeable. (Perhaps a decent way to make money selling them on the AH.) You are not forced to use them to solve rare/epic things they just speed up the solving a bit by replacing 12 fragments you would need to dig up. Since rares/epics take 100-150 fragments on average compared to 25-45 for common level its nice to have that little boost.

Quote Originally Posted by zelandoni View Post
    The rare artifacts or keystones are unique to each race. They are not soulbound and are tradeable. (Perhaps a decent way to make money selling them on the AH.) You are not forced to use them to solve rare/epic things they just speed up the solving a bit by replacing 12 fragments you would need to dig up. Since rares/epics take 100-150 fragments on average compared to 25-45 for common level its nice to have that little boost.
    YES, they're called keystones. I didnt find any videos on how to use them etc. maybe you could explain it?

Some artifacts will have 1-2 slots for keystones. Each race has their own:
    Night Elf – Highborne Scroll
    Troll – Troll Tablet
    Dwarf – Dwarf Rune Stone
    Fossil – none
    Draenai – Draenei tome
    Orc – Orc Blood Text
    Vrykul – Vrykul Rune Stick
    Nerubian – Nerubian Obelisk
    Tol;vir – Tolvir Hieroglyphic

If the artifact your currently solving has a keystone slot and you have on in your bag just place it in the slot - similar to placing a gem into a gemslot. You will see a keystone slot on the description page of the artifact your solving if you can use it

And to add is that blizz announced that they will add more artifacts during cataclysm. So it should be interesting during all cata

Deleted
    This may help you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVZ9pkD6-v8

And I swear I had some keystones for the fossils on the beta... The name escapes me atm.

I can't wait for this, I'm so fricken excited for this profession for some reason aha (x

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    New question: Since I can't find an answer (Maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing, and since there's already an archaeology thread up)

Is it possible to receive multiples of the same item on one character? Specifically: Scimitar of the Sirocco

Or am I out of luck on this and leveling it twice if I want two?

anybody know if i could stack troll artifact fragments until i hit 450 skill and then use them all to try and get the sword or as soon as i max out do i have to craft the item?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWJack View Post
    anybody know if i could stack troll artifact fragments until i hit 450 skill and then use them all to try and get the sword or as soon as i max out do i have to craft the item?
    From the way i understand it no... I think you need to level the aritifacts... So you can be epic in Nelfs but common in trolls.... I believe. I could be wrong however but that is how i got it.

i know close to nothing about this profession, but was wandering if you can earn a lot of gold with it or if it is just a time sink...?