Need advice on professions for my mage...

I'm currently a maxed enchanter and engineer. Looks like the cogwheel is pretty good, but I'm not so sure about how good enchanting would be for increasing my DPS. What two professions would probably be best together for a mage when Cata comes out? I was thinking maybe engineering and jewelcrafting...but I;d like your input.

I think their idea is that all of the crafting professions get the same value of self-buff. i.e. the total "extra" stats from jewelcrafting equal those you can get from enchanting, or any other profession. Engineering is the oddball because of its goofy stuff.

I haven't actually looked at this myself for Cata, though, but I'd expect it will hold true, or else every raider will pick the same 2 professions.
    www.justanotherwowblog.com - A blog about gold making, WoW economics, MMO philosophy, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by xandamere View Post
    I think their idea is that all of the crafting professions get the same value of self-buff. i.e. the total "extra" stats from jewelcrafting equal those you can get from enchanting, or any other profession. Engineering is the oddball because of its goofy stuff.

I haven't actually looked at this myself for Cata, though, but I'd expect it will hold true, or else every raider will pick the same 2 professions.
    Well, the way I see it...right now a JC can socket 3 dragonseye gems for a total of +42 to whichever stat they choose. Enchanters can enchant their rings for and extra 46 SP. I;d much rather be able to use +42 INT than +46 SP...so JC seemed to be a better choice than enchanting...am I wrong or have I overlooked something?

In Cataclysm, Enchanting Ring benefits give +40 Intellect to each ring for a total bonus of +80. Jewelcrafting (with their 3 special gems) gain a bonus of +83.

That's a lot of gold to spend for 3 Intellect. But to each you own. Jewelcrafting is a great profession.