Well, I see tons of these threads, all of them usually ask one specific thing and all that they do is proliferate because there really isn't one big, "Okay, so Cataclysm comes out, here are things you should do and not forget about," because believe me, people will forget about small things and it would be a great help to emptying a huge jam in Org or SW if people know what they need to do and then proceed to the new zones.

I'll divide it into a few sections, what I ask from people who reply is this: Please post any useful tidbit of information that I might (and will) leave out. It will be a great help and I will edit it into this post (I myself was not in Beta personally, so everything I gather is from Wowhead and other information sites, as well as others from Beta).

Trying to keep this accurate for both Horde and Alliance, information from both factions is appreciated! (However, the release dates are centered to the U.S.).

Table of Contents

I. Possible Preparation
a. Pre-Questing
b. Housekeeping
II. Actual Logging in/Cataclysm application
a. Release Date
b. How to Activate
III. General Tasks
a. Professions
IV. Introduction to New Zones
a. Introduction Quests

I. Possible Preparation

a. Pre-Questing

Many people are taking advantage of a tactic that has been used in previous expansions to gain a leg-up on experience early on in the expansion. They do this through "pre-questing" where they amass 20-25 (although it can be any number one desires below the 25 cap) quests/daily quests (easier to find these, but some non-daily quests reward impressive experience) and complete them BEFORE Cataclysm comes out: therefore, on release day they spend 5-10 minutes (quests are chosen in proximity to each other, or close to points that may be teleported to) turning in quests for a decent chunk (~500-550k from 25 quests) experience.

Note: Although it is unknown as to how Blizzard will tier the experience needed to get from levels 80-85, 500k experience, assuming that the beta was an indication of how much experience is needed from 80-81 (about 1.6 million), turning these quests will award approximately a third of your experience bar (30-40% of your experience bar).

Additional Note: Blizzard has confirmed that they do not plan to prevent such activities, so it would be in your best interests to do this if you want to get a decent bit of experience.

II. Actual Logging in/Cataclysm application

*It is advisable to set your hearthstone to your faction's capital.

a. Release Date

Cataclysm will be released on December the 7th and be sold by retailers (or supposed to) at around midnight. You may also purchase the digital download from Blizzard.

b. How to Activate

Cataclysm will be unlocked on all U.S. servers at 12:00 A.M. PST (or 3:00 A.M. EST). This simply means that the Cataclysm new zones, content, races, etc will be unlocked in the game (they are already in files most of you have already downloaded).

If you buy the digital download, your account is immediately flagged for Cataclysm and you are able to immerse yourself in the game play immediately when it unlocked in-game.

If you buy a CD, you will probably have to enter some sort of code to be flagged for Cataclysm.

**Awaiting clarification: With Wrath, the changes occurred while you were in game (i.e. zeps to Northrend just started flying by), but I am unsure how they will be for Cataclysm. You might have to log out and then back in, or you might be able to stay logged in for the Cataclysm activation. We'll just have to wait and see.

III. General Tasks

a. Professions

Professions in General -
Try not to forget to update your professions so that you may gain skill-ups from the beginning.

I am assuming that you can get training for Illustrious Grand Master from a trainer in Dalaran or your city's respective profession trainer, if anyone would like to shed like on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Riding -

Make sure to pick up Old World Flying from your city's respective flight master in Org or SW for 250 gold.

*** Buying this flying may be available from the Dalaran flight trainer, but it is unknown, if I could get a confirmation that would be great.

*Archaeology-
You can train Archaeology from an NPC next to Garrosh in his throne room withing Orgrimmar.
You can train Archaeology from ???? in the Alliance (I hear Harrison Jones, but I am unaware of the location).

IV. Introduction to New Zones

a. Introduction Quests

The introduction quests, if they follow the pattern of Beta, will be conducted in the following manner: There will be boards located in the center of the city that players may click, and two quests will be offered (BOTH quests are available for BOTH factions):

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27721 Horde <<< This quest leads to the Mt. Hyjal Zone
http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27726 Alliance

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27718 Horde <<< This quest leads to the Vashj'ir Zone
http://www.wowhead.com/quest=27724 Alliance

****More information will be added as I receive more information. This is an open post that I will update in order to be up-to-date with information. Things that will help me consider adding your advice/information:
1) Beta Experience
2) Informed Opinion or Facts
3) Official Blue Post or otherwise

---------- Post added 2010-12-05 at 10:39 PM ----------

bump. Since I've already seen at least 5 threads asking one of these questions.