Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What will actually happen tonight?

Anyone know technically what Blizzard will be doing tonight?

Will the servers need to be restarted? Or at the magic time will just the questgivers (the boards in the cities) suddenly just offer the starting quests and the profession trainers offer their new stuff etc?

Is it worth login in early to try and avoid queues to login or will we all get chucked off the server anyway and have to log back in after the expansion has gone live. Those of us with the digital download of the expansion should already have it installed so we shouldn't need to do anything tonight right?
    Last edited by Wardley; 2010-12-06 at 07:50 AM.

Deleted
    im actually wondering the same thing, but we who hvae bought digitally already have it installed. but i guess they will implant it 00:00 and restart servers. but i have no idea

Digital Download I believe means you can just continue playing seamlessly, maybe with the swirly 'downloading' wheel at the top for a bit.
    As for us with physical copies, we'll have to relog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c0rrupt10n View Post
    Digital Download I believe means you can just continue playing seamlessly, maybe with the swirly 'downloading' wheel at the top for a bit.
    As for us with physical copies, we'll have to relog.
    This is correct.
    I play on Moonguard. Yeah. That server. I also RP. Yay!

Characters-
    Shiandri
    Solariah
    Laeline
    Lougara
    Saeahska
    Halter

10+ Year Old Account
    I assume for Digital Pre-orders at 00:00 you'll feel a slight (Lets pray it not be major) shift in gameplay, such as when a Youtube video skips for a moment, or when the elemental quests were put on Live servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardley View Post
    Anyone know technically what Blizzard will be doing tonight?

Will the servers need to be restarted? Or at the magic time will just the questgivers (the boards in the cities) suddenly just offer the starting quests and the profession trainers offer their new stuff etc?

Is it worth login in early to try and avoid queues to login or will we all get chunked off the server anyway and have to log back in after the expansion has gone live. Those of us with the digital download of the expansion should already have it installed so we shouldn't need to do anything tonight right?
    Acually i had the same concerns and raised them with a GM whom i was talking with about another issue.

The response was simple. He said there shouldnt be a server reset unless something goes wrong and it should be the "Smooth" transition Blizzard were so happy about. He also said he couldnt say for sure but he'd imagine there's a server MSG annoucing it when the time is... Cata time :P

im 99.9% sure there will be a downtime before midnight ...even if for just a few hours so they can get the realms ready .

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    im 99.9% sure there will be a downtime before midnight ...even if for just a few hours so they can get the realms ready .
    yeah wouldent suprice me either

They already did this. At most there will be rolling restarts.

tehres a bluepost saying that you have to log out & log in again with digital copy otherwise portals/heroboards/etc will not be "activated" at midnight, besides that there is no planned restarts or anything

Servers actually have cataclysm implemented already. New zones have all the spawns and so on. Its just a matter of flagging players who bought cataclysm as cataclysm-ready, so they dont get teleported from new zones, and skills / levels become unlocked
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    it should work like an event, at the right time everything just switches on. well its more like all the blocks put in plac are switched off for everyone whos got a digital download.

in reality it'll probably all go pear shaped and we'll have 15 hours of downtime D':

Deleted
    No restart is needed, beacouse everything is already in game and servers r ready. Only thing which need to be changed is ur account, so propably relog will be needed, but I doubt it, beacouse servers will be full of people and this could be epic fail for blizzard to make people relog and wait in queue. So nothink will happen u can just continue playing through midnight.

I'm sure you'll need to relog if you have the physical version and not the digital one.

As for restarts, highly unlikely. Everything is already in the game, it's not like Northrend that was a new continent - you're already playing the expansion (sort of)...

Quote Originally Posted by cyzzie View Post
    tehres a bluepost saying that you have to log out & log in again with digital copy otherwise portals/heroboards/etc will not be "activated" at midnight, besides that there is no planned restarts or anything
    Source?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sismofytten View Post
    Source?
    Why would you need a source? It's perfectly logical we'd need to relog. Even if we don't, which I'm sure we will, then wow, we wasted a couple seconds. It's not a big deal.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sismofytten View Post
    Source?
    post above you has a source .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by imagine View Post
    post above you has a source .
    "TBC was a relog, Northrend I'm not sure, but Cata will be available at the minute."

That is way too ambiguous of a post to be a reliable source -.-

Im fine with the server being down sometime tomrrow as long as its up by 3am, plan to sleep most of the day away anyhow!